Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:30 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Razzies' Nominations 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2599
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Razzies' Nominations
Twillight has 9.

That's My Boy has 8.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:53 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1899
Post Re: Razzies' Nominations
NotHughGrant wrote:
Twillight has 9.

That's My Boy has 8.


That's My Boy is bad. Maybe Sandler's worst film ever imo. I'm a fan of his family-outings though.


Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:08 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2599
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Razzies' Nominations
I've never seen it myself.

Twilight deserves its scorn though. The most confusing thing about it is the fact that I was once lead to believe it was somehow a "triumph of feminism". What nonsense!

My Sister-in-Law is a fan and I have had the misfortune of seeing the best part of 3 of them.

In the first film, "Edward" (a 100+ year old vampire who chooses to lurk around schools like some kind of paedophile) tells Bella, "stay away from me, or my love will kill you" and she's all like "but I can't live without his love".

In the second film he gives her a slap and leaves. She mopes around all sad until another guy hits on her. Then she cheers up a bit because without the attention of at least one obsessed man she can't function anymore. But now Edward is all "I'm so sad that I left, I must kill myself even though I'm already dead because I can't live (or remain undead) without Bella", until she stops him because apparently she saw sense and realised that necrophilia is preferable to beastiality.

What Twilight then amounts to has to be the most unhealthy relationship committed to the big screen ever. Bella is a deeply misogynistic creation. She literally can't function without at least one man throwing himself at her, and sulks for every minute that this is not the case. I was simultaneously both amazed and not at all surprised to find out the author was a mormon with a pro-abstinence agenda.

The message of Twilight is this - a woman is worthless, and therefore needs to worship one man for the rest of their life (and presumably beyond it too). A baby is a metaphor for a woman's guilt and shame and she must carry it as punishment for her sexual sins. Life itself isn't worth living and if required you must leap of this mortal coil at your man's behest.

I'm glad it's all over.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:48 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3837
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Razzies' Nominations
MGamesCook wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Twillight has 9.

That's My Boy has 8.


That's My Boy is bad. Maybe Sandler's worst film ever imo. I'm a fan of his family-outings though.

It's nowhere near his worst film, that would be The Waterboy, which for the most part was painful to sit through.


Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:32 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:56 pm
Posts: 239
Post Re: Razzies' Nominations
NotHughGrant wrote:
I've never seen it myself.

Twilight deserves its scorn though. The most confusing thing about it is the fact that I was once lead to believe it was somehow a "triumph of feminism". What nonsense!

My Sister-in-Law is a fan and I have had the misfortune of seeing the best part of 3 of them.

In the first film, "Edward" (a 100+ year old vampire who chooses to lurk around schools like some kind of paedophile) tells Bella, "stay away from me, or my love will kill you" and she's all like "but I can't live without his love".

In the second film he gives her a slap and leaves. She mopes around all sad until another guy hits on her. Then she cheers up a bit because without the attention of at least one obsessed man she can't function anymore. But now Edward is all "I'm so sad that I left, I must kill myself even though I'm already dead because I can't live (or remain undead) without Bella", until she stops him because apparently she saw sense and realised that necrophilia is preferable to beastiality.

What Twilight then amounts to has to be the most unhealthy relationship committed to the big screen ever. Bella is a deeply misogynistic creation. She literally can't function without at least one man throwing himself at her, and sulks for every minute that this is not the case. I was simultaneously both amazed and not at all surprised to find out the author was a mormon with a pro-abstinence agenda.

The message of Twilight is this - a woman is worthless, and therefore needs to worship one man for the rest of their life (and presumably beyond it too). A baby is a metaphor for a woman's guilt and shame and she must carry it as punishment for her sexual sins. Life itself isn't worth living and if required you must leap of this mortal coil at your man's behest.

I'm glad it's all over.


Thank you!!

_________________
Never take a forum signature too seriously, even this one.


Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:03 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 504
Post Re: Razzies' Nominations
*snore*

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:33 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:57 am
Posts: 260
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Post Re: Razzies' Nominations
Have a browse through the best Actor winners over the past 12 years. Ben Affleck was really on a roll.

_________________
I'm very sorry for your loss. Your mother was a terribly attractive woman - Royal Tenenbaum


Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:00 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2599
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Razzies' Nominations
wisey wrote:
Have a browse through the best Actor winners over the past 12 years. Ben Affleck was really on a roll.


And to be fair, Affleck has but in some seriously oak-wooden performances in the past few years.

Perhaps this speeded his adventures into directing.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:53 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1899
Post Re: Razzies' Nominations
Quote:
It's nowhere near his worst film, that would be The Waterboy, which for the most part was painful to sit through.


I remember Billy Madison as being quite a bit worse than Waterboy though.


Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:21 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3837
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Razzies' Nominations
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
It's nowhere near his worst film, that would be The Waterboy, which for the most part was painful to sit through.


I remember Billy Madison as being quite a bit worse than Waterboy though.

They were both pretty awful.


Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:48 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2599
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Razzies' Nominations
Little Nicky beats them both

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:46 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr