Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:35 am

Adam Sandler 
Gaffer

Post Adam Sandler
Hi. My first post here. I’ve been looking for a website and forum to share thoughts on the cinema, started reading JB’s reviews on my mobile and through some link arrived here. Good to be here, too.

Any case, for starters, I’ve just been dying to ask this: can anyone explain why Adam Sandler is a major movie star? Usually most SNL grads get a few B film showcases and then are sentenced back to TV Land. The rare few who hit stardom belong to the first generation basically. So how does Sandler do it? He’s horrible, gives off bad messages, can’t act, and yet he gets top talent like Jack N and C. Walken supporting him in films.

Very early on I found him an obnoxious item to tolerate on SNL. I never dreamed he’d go on to big things. My sister-in-law’s a 5th grade teacher. Her kids worship him.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:58 pm
Auteur

Post Re: Adam Sandler
I wasn't a fan of his earlier film efforts(except for Bulletproof, and that was mostly due to Damon Wayans). But starting with Mr. Deeds, I actually started to like most of his films, i'm looking forward Grown Ups 2 this year.

As for why he's a star, I dunno. I guess people found his brand of humor more tolerable then that of say Pauly Shore(though I would gladly watch Bio-Dome or Jury Duty over The Waterboy or Billy Madison any day of the week).

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:24 pm
Cinematographer

Hannibal wrote:
Hi. My first post here. I’ve been looking for a website and forum to share thoughts on the cinema, started reading JB’s reviews on my mobile and through some link arrived here. Good to be here, too.

Any case, for starters, I’ve just been dying to ask this: can anyone explain why Adam Sandler is a major movie star? Usually most SNL grads get a few B film showcases and then are sentenced back to TV Land. The rare few who hit stardom belong to the first generation basically. So how does Sandler do it? He’s horrible, gives off bad messages, can’t act, and yet he gets top talent like Jack N and C. Walken supporting him in films.

Very early on I found him an obnoxious item to tolerate on SNL. I never dreamed he’d go on to big things. My sister-in-law’s a 5th grade teacher. Her kids worship him.

Allow to simply respond to your thread's title: don't like him. Never have. Never will. The only film of his that I've liked is Punch-Drunk Love, which was directed by the great Paul Thomas Anderson.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:51 pm
Producer

He's Sandra Bullock for 12 year old boys. As long as he brings in a return on the meager investment it takes to shovel out a Billy Madison or a Waterboy, they'll make his movies.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:54 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
He's Sandra Bullock for 12 year old boys. As long as he brings in a return on the meager investment it takes to shovel out a Billy Madison or a Waterboy, they'll make his movies.

Except Sandra Bullock has a better track record.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:08 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:

That's like saying Stalin is remembered more favorably than Hitler.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:10 pm
Cinematographer

PeachyPete wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:

Completely off-topic, but Stalin killed far more people.

Bullock is a far better actor, yet I still am not a fan of hers, especially as she won Best Actress for that "performance" she gave in The Blind Side.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:43 pm
This video blog entry below does not necessarily reflect my opinion! It just shows that Adam Sandler is an issue. I have seen part of one of his standups on YouTube and I found it completely unfunny. I find myself agreeing with people who think Sandler is middle of the road, so predictable and his movies seem to sell enough tickets.

Here's the URL:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/ ... r_revealed

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:46 pm
Auteur

PeachyPete wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:

Not really, Bullock won an academy award.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:52 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:

That doesn't really mean much.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:06 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

For a piece of shit acting job in a piece of shit movie? Please.......

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 pm
Second Unit Director

I'll wait for Gravity before I announce my final verdict on Bullock. I don't get the hatred, but she's yet to really impress me.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:52 pm
Auteur

patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:

For a piece of shit acting job in a piece of shit movie? Please.......

I'll admit it wasn't the best film of 2000 by any stretch, i'm just saying it seems rather disingenous to compare her to Sandler.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:11 pm
Producer

It's perfectly genuous.

Bullock, for the most part, appears in movies that appeal to a very specific demographic. They are not good movies. They're made with the bare minimum amount of effort and they provide the bare minimum level of challenge to their viewers. Their sole reason for existing is to earn a bare minimum acceptable return of investment for their executive producers. That is not to say that Bullock cannot do better or has not done better, but incidents in which she has are few, far in between, and the exceptions that prove the rule.

Ditto for Sandler.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:23 pm
Producer

Hannibal wrote:

Sandler showed considerable acting talent in Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish and 50 First Dates, but usually doesn't bother. He needs a strong director and not to produce his own films, because when he does, it brings out his worst (with the exception of 50 First Dates).

The last film of his where he wasn't producer or executive producer was Funny People, which was about the last film of his that was critically praised. Well, Hotel Transylvania somehow got a Golden Globe nomination and was mediocre rather than terrible.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
Sandler showed considerable acting talent in Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish and 50 First Dates, but usually doesn't bother. He needs a strong director and not to produce his own films, because when he does, it brings out his worst (with the exception of 50 First Dates).

I definitely agree with this and all of those were enjoyable films. He was also good in The Wedding Singer, very good in Reign Over Me and not too bad in the otherwise forgettable Click. Adam Sandler is good (can be very good) when he is not being "Adam Sandler" or is not in an "Adam Sandler Movie."

What do all of the above-mentioned films have in common? None of them were written by Adam Sandler.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:39 am
Director

I like pretty much any Sandler movie where he's playing a reasonably normal guy of average intelligence and without changing his voice, including Happy Gilmore and Mr. Deeds, and even Jack and Jill. Sandler films I don't like include Waterboy, Billy Madison, Zohan, That's My Boy, and probably (though I haven't seen it) Little Nicky.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:52 am
Producer

I have a soft-spot for sporting underdog movies, so one or two of Sandler's earlier efforts remain guilty pleasures. Happy Gilmore I like. Even, even Waterboy raises a smile. And yes I am ashamed to admit that here! I also like Anger Management, it provides for a genuinly funny vehicle for Jack Nicholson's talents.

But his worst stuff is much lower than mediocre. It's horrible and physically painful to watch. Little Nicky, Billy Maddison, and a number of others. Wretched!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:08 am
Cinematographer

Sean wrote:
Completely off-topic, but Stalin killed far more people.

Nitpickers. How annoying. I think you got the gist of my post, and I think it's pretty fair to say Hitler is remembered, which, and I apparently have to point this out ( :roll: ), is different from how history actually happened, as more of a face of evil in our current culture than Stalin. Also, the numbers vary depending on how different historians attribute certain things to Stalin, so it could have been less, it could have been a similar number, or it could have been far more.

But, your snarky correction is duly noted. Congrats - you know stuff!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:09 am
Producer

Whereas facism was wholly condemned at an early age, communism lingered around like a bad smell for decades, and in doing so received a kind of half-hearted and hypocritical nod of support by a number of western leftists in public life. Hence the reason Stalin isn't as quite the cartoon villain Hitler is.

Anyway, I can't wait to see Sandler play Stalin..

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:53 am