Hitchcock
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Jack Reacher
Les Misérables
Prometheus
Savages
This is 40
Zero Dark Thirty

Last edited by Sean on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:12 pm
Auteur

Post Re: ...And Finally, The Most Disappointing Movies of 2012
God Bless America, We Have To Talk About Kevin, Cabin In The Woods, Prometheus.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:14 pm
Gaffer

Disappointing movies were:
The Amazing Spider-Man
Seven Psychopaths
The Master
Cosmopolis
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:45 pm
Producer

I went into Cabin in the Woods not knowing anything about it. The beginning promised a movie that was a lot more clever than it ended up being. Maybe it should have all been about Richard Jenkins exchanging banter with people at the office.

Prometheus was Ridley Scott doing sci-fi. I knew that much about it going in, so I figured it was going to be a lot better than it ended up being. Not that it was bad outright, but it was surprisingly clumsy and hokey. I don't know that I was hoping for much, but I at least wanted it to be smarter than it was.

I'd hoped for a strong adaptation of John Carter. The movie lived up to the reputation of the books in fits and starts, but the whole thing was fitted together without much elegance. It feels like there are a few movies going on at the same time, all racing to resolve themselves in less time than they require. It's a shame. I thought that the cast and the production design brought the universe to life. I would have liked to see these guys have a shot at another movie, but it probably won't happen.

I didn't know anything about Magic Mike going in except that it was a Stephen Soderberg movie about male exotic dancers. I got the one thing that I never thought I'd get, which was a strangely inert movie that irritated me more than anything else.

On the other hand, I expected a disappointment from The Amazing Spider-Man and I was pleasantly surprised by how much it got right. I liked Raimi's attempt at the character, but he made a huge mistake in moving Spider-Man out of high school right away. His movies also have a pop-aware streak in them that occasionally gets too cute for my tastes. The Amazing Spider-Man is less kitschy and allows the poor guy to be a kid, which is what he was during the Steve Ditko years when the majority of the classic stories were written.

2012 was the year that I started making a serious effort to avoid learning anything about the movies I was going to see so I could keep the experience as fresh as possible. For that reason, I don't think any of these were the result of getting let down by pre-release hype. I think that's the fairest shake that a movie can be given.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:58 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
Prometheus was Ridley Scott doing sci-fi. I knew that much about it going in, so I figured it was going to be a lot better than it ended up being. Not that it was bad outright, but it was surprisingly clumsy and hokey. I don't know that I was hoping for much, but I at least wanted it to be smarter than it was.

I agree with this completely. Far from a terrible movie, but I was hoping for something a lot better. The definition of a disappointing movie.

I'm tempted to throw The Dark Knight Rises in here too, but I found that movie more aggressively bad than disappointing. I'm more amazed that it was passed off as a good movie at all than I am disappointed.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:32 pm
Cinematographer

Prometheus and The Dark Knight Rises are the big two that immediately spring to mind. I went into them expecting them to be good, if not great, only to walk out of the theater both times completely underwhelmed.

I recognize I'm in the minority with Django Unchained, but after being genuinely impressed with Inglourious Basterds, I felt Tarantino's latest saw a return to certain stylistic elements that I haven't been a fan of in the past.

This is also the second year in a row where I've walked out of a David Cronenberg film mildly unimpressed. I think I ended up giving a 4/10 to Cosmopolis, but I'm not sure it's the kind of film where giving an exact rating is an appropriate action to take. It's a film I need to rewatch.

One film I won't be rewatching is Woody Allen's latest, To Rome With Love. I didn't hate it like Berardinelli and a couple other people on this forum, but it was genuinely unremarkable, probably one of the most unremarkable films in his entire career. That it came directly after a work as wonderful as Midnight In Paris made it even more disappointing.

Lastly, I had reasonably high expectations for John Carter, mainly because of its director, Andrew Stanton. I figured that the man responsible for Finding Nemo and Wall-E would deliver another winner. Sadly, it ended up being kind of a dull mess, with little of the narrative and creative command that made Stanton's Pixar films so memorable. I don't make a habit of going to see bad films, so this one ended up being the worst film I saw in a theater this year.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

The Master
Savages
Killing Them Softly
Brave
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
The Lucky One
Underworld: Awakening
End of Watch
Sinister
Taken 2
The Five-Year Engagement
The Cold Light of Day

And although I still enjoyed them both Django Unchained and Prometheus were slight disappointments, especially Prometheus.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:04 am