Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:19 am

James Bond tribute to be done at this year's Academy Awards 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post James Bond tribute to be done at this year's Academy Awards
Of course this will be unnecessary and pad out the running time of the already-long show, but it will be fun to see something like this. Would be great to see all the Bond actors together on stage.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013-osca ... 27760.html

James Bond films typically don't get Academy Awards. The 23 films about 007 that have played in theaters over the past 50 years have earned less than ten total nominations -- roughly half of which were in music categories. Bond has only taken home two Oscars total, in technical categories. ("Goldfinger" won for sound effects and "Thunderball" earned a visual effects statuette).

That's it.

On the heels of critical and box office success, "Skyfall" is thought to be a strong contender for a Best Picture nod, Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Javier Bardem) and a shoo-in to win a Best Original Song trophy for its theme song by Adele (the aptly named "Skyfall" tune nabbed the film's only Golden Globe nomination). This leaves prognosticators and fans alike thinking and hoping this could be the year the Academy gives more overdue recognition to the series that has now been around a half century.

Less than a week before Oscar nominations are announced, that recognition has been guaranteed... sort of. This year's Oscar show will feature a special 50th anniversary tribute to Bond, the Academy announced on Friday. Details on the specifics of the tribute aren't being shared. And it is unclear whether all six Bond actors -- including the reclusive Sean Connery, now 81 years old and the original celluloid Bond -- will be there.

Surprises are thought to be in store during the segment that is being billed as a retrospective, though the chances of an award finding its way into the mix is highly unlikely. A Connery appearance would count as a pleasant surprise seeing as the actor doesn't get out much these days and didn't appear in a recent Bond anniversary documentary. It might also be unexpected if lesser-known Bond actor George Lazenby -- who only played the super spy once in 1969's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" -- showed up on stage with the other Bond actors Connery, Daniel Craig, Pierce Brosnan, Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton.

The Oscar Bond tribute does seem to give the Academy an out in the event it neglects to give "Skyfall" multiple nods during the January 10 nominations announcement. Seeing as the Sam Mendes film starring Craig has just one Globe nom to its name, and the fact that the series has an overall weak Oscar history, the threat of a significant "Skyfall" snub is unfortunately real.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:42 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: James Bond tribute to be done at this year's Academy Awards
I don't mean to be a negative Nancy, but I'm not sure the Globes and Academy correlate in convincing ways. Skyfall still has a decent shot at Best Picture and several technical categories, but it's not a lock for anything. This includes the Best Original Song category, by the way. Anyone remember The Wrestler's big snub? People half-expected Bruce Springsteen's second Oscar to be a mere technicality and it didn't even get nominated. This category's so dumb, I wouldn't be surprised to see it be between the three eligible songs from Brooklyn Brothers Beat the Best.

The tribute seems nice, though, and a way to honor Bond if it ultimately fails to capture anything at all.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:17 am
Second Unit Director

It would be very nice to get all the bonds together.
How and ever, mot only will Connery be a problem but so will Lazenbury

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:29 am
Producer

Pedro wrote:
I don't mean to be a negative Nancy, but I'm not sure the Globes and Academy correlate in convincing ways. Skyfall still has a decent shot at Best Picture and several technical categories, but it's not a lock for anything. This includes the Best Original Song category, by the way. Anyone remember The Wrestler's big snub? People half-expected Bruce Springsteen's second Oscar to be a mere technicality and it didn't even get nominated. This category's so dumb, I wouldn't be surprised to see it be between the three eligible songs from Brooklyn Brothers Beat the Best.

The tribute seems nice, though, and a way to honor Bond if it ultimately fails to capture anything at all.

There can only be two songs from the same movie, a rule added after Enchanted (and earlier Dreamgirls) had three nominated songs and lost. They also changed the rules on how songs get nominated after last year had only two songs. The new rule depends on how many songs are submitted and there are expected to be five nominees. There are a lot of songs in unexpected places, like Wreck-It Ralph ("Sugar Rush"). "Skyfall" will have no trouble making the cut.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:25 pm
Cinematographer

Certainly better than the tribute to filmmaking last year that included Twilight, right?

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:34 pm
Producer

A Bond tribute would be excellent, and very fitting.

Bond in many ways defines cinema and has been remarkably successful in adapting and embodying any particular given era. I grew up with Roger Moore as Bond, and although his films aren't regarded as the best the franchise has to offer, they successfully occupy a certain niche within the series. What's even more remarkable is that there has never (for my money) been a bad James Bond. Each actor has brought their own to the character. When you consider that Batman in the 80s/90s couldn't get more than 3 films in before striking disaster, 23 is some achievement.

To ignore it now is snobbery or prejudice.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:10 am
Cinematographer

Totally deserved this tribute to the Bond franchise in his 50 year anniversary. Now, I think that the tribute would have been more memorable if Skyfall would have been nominated as a best movie too, particularly after only 9 films nominated and one empty spot left. I thought that this increase in the number of nominees were to include some popular choices lol

Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:59 am
Profile WWW