It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:22 pm

The Pedros 
Cinematographer

Post The Pedros
Make it happen!

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:41 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: The Pedros
I'll post a general topic about them in a week, which is around the time I posted the topic last year. In the meantime, I need to figure out what happened to all the images from the previous Pedros. Some of them are dead, some of them aren't, and none of them should be. Pedro's on the case of the missing Pedros!

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:54 pm
Producer

Godspeed.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:57 pm
Cinematographer

That's nice, facebook, just change your links for no earthly reason. *table flip*

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:58 pm
Cinematographer

Update: the most recent Pedros have been fixed. I'm in a working mood, so I'll try to finish the first annual Pedros before watching Zero Dark Thirty. The second annual Pedros, though, are a complete mess and require more attention than I'm willing to give at this moment in time. *several more table flips*

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:44 pm
Producer

Not a table goes unflipped in the Pedro household, it seems.

On the bright side, if you flip enough times, they'll all be rightside-up again.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:58 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

We love you Pedro.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:51 pm
Cinematographer

Update: the First Annual Pedros, before they were ever called the Pedros, have been fixed. However, I took another look at some of the image links in the Third Annual Pedros and it stands to reason that the images that I didn't touch will eventually break. I didn't touch them because, well, I didn't think I needed to. After all, an image showed up. That means everything is fine and dandy, right? *table flip*

I had a few thoughts for future Pedros.

1. What do people think about going back and altering certain nominees from the past? I'm guessing that the answer will be to leave things how they are, but to put things in perspective, using the rules from last year [which seem to make the most sense moving forward], Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and The Hurt Locker would have been Best Picture nominees in their respective years. Perhaps predictably, The Girlfriend Experience wouldn't have been an Best Picture nominee.

2. One of these days, I'll see what I can do about updating some of the title art. If available, I like to use the title the film gives us. Sometimes I have to use what the poster gives us because I can't obtain the still of the film's otherwise.

GOOD

NOT AS GOOD

BETTER

It appears that with last year's Pedros, I was committed to getting the title stills NO MATTER WHAT.

3. I kind of want to create a database of Pedro nominees and Pedro winners. For example, George Clooney has been 2 Pedro nominations with 0 wins. Quentin Tarantino, on the other hand, has 2 separate Pedro nominations [in directing and writing] with 2 wins. I'm sure this will be a time-consuming process that may or may not even be worth it, but damn it would be cool if completed.

4. Should we do awards for years passed, say, during the summers? We started with 2009 but missed, you know, over 100 years of cinema history because the board didn't exist. Think about it: how many Pedros would The Dark Knight get? Would No Country For Old Men or There Will Be Blood take the ultimate Pedro? Ohhhhh, the potential drama.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:30 am
Producer

Years past might be cool, if we were selective with it.

Not to be a curmudgeon, but some of those years are leaner than others.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:51 am
Cinematographer

Pedro wrote:
3. I kind of want to create a database of Pedro nominees and Pedro winners. For example, George Clooney has been 2 Pedro nominations with 0 wins. Quentin Tarantino, on the other hand, has 2 separate Pedro nominations [in directing and writing] with 2 wins. I'm sure this will be a time-consuming process that may or may not even be worth it, but damn it would be cool if completed.

This would be pretty awesome in an incredibly nerdy way. I'd love it, and I'm sure most of the forum regulars would as well. It would probably only get marginal use around this time of year, but it would be cool as a cucumber.

Pedro wrote:
4. Should we do awards for years passed, say, during the summers? We started with 2009 but missed, you know, over 100 years of cinema history because the board didn't exist. Think about it: how many Pedros would The Dark Knight get? Would No Country For Old Men or There Will Be Blood take the ultimate Pedro? Ohhhhh, the potential drama.

Not only am I all for this, but it could also serve as a good way to get some of those older movies watched during the slow summer months in order to get a better feel of what to vote for.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:58 am
Producer

Alright, people.

You all asked endlessly for it.

You were all dying for it.

Well, I don't know if anybody was dying for it, and nobody actually asked for it.

But here it is anyway:

The revised trophy for the 2013 Pedro Awards!

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:10 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

AAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Fucking fantastic! I was expecting the zoom to zoom all the way...

Great work Ken.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:29 pm
Producer

Thanks. Yeah, I figured I'd keep the zoom subtle... just enough so your eye knows exactly where it's supposed to go.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:37 pm
Cinematographer

If we had a forum Hall of Fame, Ken's video would certainly be an instant inductee. That's fantastic. Well done, sir.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:40 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
Should we do awards for years passed, say, during the summers? We started with 2009 but missed, you know, over 100 years of cinema history because the board didn't exist. Think about it: how many Pedros would The Dark Knight get? Would No Country For Old Men or There Will Be Blood take the ultimate Pedro? Ohhhhh, the potential drama.

I'm all for it. The Pedros are a great idea and a lot of fun, but I mostly watch movies on DVD when they are released in Germany, so participating in the Pedros for the current year usually makes little sense for me. Also, doing the Pedros for, say, 1974 or so might have the benefit of motivate people to watch some older movies.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:29 am
Cinematographer

First, Ken's video. Amazing. Have I mentioned I'm flattered by all this? It's been weird for me to just roll with it, but I'll continue doing it because, well, I don't know. Anyway.

All of the previous Pedros have been fixed, though the third annuals will probably need attention at some point in the future. They're fine for now, though.

I'm leaving for a short visit to New York this weekend, so I'm definitely going to get the general topic about the Pedros out tomorrow or the day after. I can tell you now that there will be no significant changes, except for some clarification on when shit comes out where I point out that Ken is right (as usual). The only reason why I'm not releasing it sooner is because I have to go on a hunt to figure out what foreign language films came out this year.

*table flip*

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:37 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
Alright, people.

You all asked endlessly for it.

You were all dying for it.

Well, I don't know if anybody was dying for it, and nobody actually asked for it.

But here it is anyway:

The revised trophy for the 2013 Pedro Awards!

That was amazing. Extra points for using the Requiem for a Dream scene

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:51 pm
Producer

You win the prize for being the first to bring it up. Probably the most twisted selection I used.

I have to admit, that sequence loses a lot of the squickiness if you just isolate the part with Jennifer Connelly's character... I'm so ashamed.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:28 am