Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Our Most (and Least) Anticipated Movies of January 2013 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Our Most (and Least) Anticipated Movies of January 2013
PeachyPete wrote:
Ji-woon Kim is the reason I'll be seeing it, even if the only reason is so I can say "Well, it wasn't my fault he didn't make it in Hollywood - I paid to see his only American release!"

2013 seems to be the year when all the great Korean filmmakers try their hand at English-language features.

Ji-woon Kim with The Last Stand.

Chan-wook Park with Stoker.

Joon-ho Bong with Snowpiercer.

Of the three, Snowpiercer sounds the most interesting to me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706620/

It will be interesting to see how all these films are received here.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Can I please get some more people to take part in the game I posted under the General Movie Discussion forums board? It's called This Rotten Month: Predicting January 2013's Major Releases. You can submit guesses anytime between now and Sunday. Please?
:D

I read on a recent Gold Derby thread that some believe Ryan Gosling may get an Oscar nomination for Gangster Squad. Too early to guess for next year, but I doubt it. Then again, 2013's Oscar contenders look kind of weak. Is it me, or does his voice in the movie trailers sound hilarious? I still haven't gotten over how Gosling spoke about two words in Drive, 2011's second best movie.

Gangster Squad would make a great video game, perhaps something from Rockstar, but as a movie, it looks like a really bad version of Grand Theft Auto set in the 1940s.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:41 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Can I please get some more people to take part in the game I posted under the General Movie Discussion forums board? It's called This Rotten Month: Predicting January 2013's Major Releases. You can submit guesses anytime between now and Sunday. Please?

I read on a recent Gold Derby thread that some believe Ryan Gosling may get an Oscar nomination for Gangster Squad. Too early to guess for next year, but I doubt it. Then again, 2013's Oscar contenders look kind of weak. Is it me, or does his voice in the movie trailers sound hilarious? I still haven't gotten over how Gosling spoke about two words in Drive, 2011's second best movie.

Gangster Squad would make a great video game, perhaps something from Rockstar, but as a movie, it looks like a really bad version of Grand Theft Auto set in the 1940s.
You mean like the "Mafia" series?

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:41 am
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

Certainly.

Vexer wrote:
Mama looks absolutely horrible, i'll be staying FAR away from that one, Texas Chainsaw Massacre looks like OK, but i'll wait until DVD to see that one.

I'm a fan of Allen Hughes, and it's cool to Wahlberg and Crowe teaming up, so I think Broken City could be a very interesting thriller.

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer Texas Chainsaw 3D to Mama? Neither looks particularly great, but at least Mama seems like a mildly-interesting psychological thriller. Texas Chainsaw 3D just seems like another joyless gore-fest of a sequel.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:19 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

Certainly.

Vexer wrote:
Mama looks absolutely horrible, i'll be staying FAR away from that one, Texas Chainsaw Massacre looks like OK, but i'll wait until DVD to see that one.

I'm a fan of Allen Hughes, and it's cool to Wahlberg and Crowe teaming up, so I think Broken City could be a very interesting thriller.

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer Texas Chainsaw 3D to Mama? Neither looks particularly great, but at least Mama seems like a mildly-interesting psychological thriller. Texas Chainsaw 3D just seems like another joyless gore-fest of a sequel.
Well I find gore-fest sequels to be very joyFUL myself, so it's mostly a personal preference.(Jason X is one of my favorite horror films admittedly) if nothing else, i'm sure TCM will make for a decent watch at home.

Psychological thrillers don't usuallly do a whole lot for me though, i've sat through far too many shitty ones like "The Return" "Godsend" "Hide And Seek" and "Possession" and I don't expect Mama to be any better then those films, so I will not be wasting my time or money on it. At least I can expect TCM to deliever on the entertainment front, but films like Mama can go wrong in so many ways, usually with lame, predictable jump scares and asinine nonsensical Shyamalan-esque twist endings.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:45 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer Texas Chainsaw 3D to Mama? Neither looks particularly great, but at least Mama seems like a mildly-interesting psychological thriller. Texas Chainsaw 3D just seems like another joyless gore-fest of a sequel.[/quote]Well I find gore-fest sequels to be very joyFUL myself, so it's mostly a personal preference.(Jason X is one of my favorite horror films admittedly) if nothing else, i'm sure TCM will make for a decent watch at home.

Psychological thrillers don't usuallly do a whole lot for me though, i've sat through far too many shitty ones like "The Return" "Godsend" "Hide And Seek" and "Possession" and I don't expect Mama to be any better then those films, so I will not be wasting my time or money on it. At least I can expect TCM to deliever on the entertainment front, but films like Mama can go wrong in so many ways, usually with lame, predictable jump scares and asinine nonsensical Shyamalan-esque twist endings.[/quote]

They all look horrible, but I personally prefer psychological thrillers. I enjoy all genres, but I have in no shame in admitting that horror films are my least favorite.

Chastain looks ridiculous in the movie, however. No denying that.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:56 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Well I find gore-fest sequels to be very joyFUL myself, so it's mostly a personal preference.(Jason X is one of my favorite horror films admittedly) if nothing else, i'm sure TCM will make for a decent watch at home.

Psychological thrillers don't usuallly do a whole lot for me though, i've sat through far too many shitty ones like "The Return" "Godsend" "Hide And Seek" and "Possession" and I don't expect Mama to be any better then those films, so I will not be wasting my time or money on it. At least I can expect TCM to deliever on the entertainment front, but films like Mama can go wrong in so many ways, usually with lame, predictable jump scares and asinine nonsensical Shyamalan-esque twist endings.[/quote]

They all look horrible, but I personally prefer psychological thrillers. I enjoy all genres, but I have in no shame in admitting that horror films are my least favorite.

Chastain looks ridiculous in the movie, however. No denying that.[/quote]Well horror films are my second favorite genre next to action films, my least favorite is Drama films, for every good one there's a tleast a dozen mediocre-to-crappy ones.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:20 pm