Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:47 pm

Our Most (and Least) Anticipated Movies of January 2013 
Cinematographer

Post Our Most (and Least) Anticipated Movies of January 2013
This month looks awful. Who knows? There might not even be a single good movie this January.

That being said, Gangster Squad, The Last Stand, and Parker look the most interesting. Not saying much.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:22 pm
Critic

Post Re: Our Most (and Least) Anticipated Movies of January 2013
Well Zero Dark Thirty of course.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:53 pm
Producer

Yeah, Zero Dark Thirty is pretty much it, except for the movies I didn't catch from last month.

Everyone gird your loins and hope for a March surprise.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:57 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Django Unchained and Zero Dark Thirty are at the top of my list. I dunno if they'll open up around here but I may end up taking that trip over to Bismarck on a relatively nicer day this month if need be. Gangster Squad would normally interest me because of the cast, director and subject matter but the fact of it getting a January release doesn't speak volumes of it's potential. Still, it could turn out to be awesome.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Gangster Squad may end up being good. It was supposed to be released last year but got pushed back because of the Aurora shooting.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:43 pm
Cinematographer

How can I put this? I hated Zero Dark Thirty.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
COVERING EARS.jpg
COVERING EARS.jpg [ 60.86 KiB | Viewed 728 times ]

I'm not an Internet troll or anything. In fact, I'd say that I agree with the Tomatometer and most critics at least 90% of the time, if not more.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:58 pm
Cinematographer

Gangster Squad could be good. Gosling rarely picks bad movies, but the trailers look kind of corny. Hard to believe that this is his first film since Drive. That's not including The Place Beyond the Pines, which I saw at TIFF this (well, last) year.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:00 pm
Director

I might end up seeing Gangster Squad. But I'm not getting my hopes up. From the trailers it looks pretty reminiscent of The Untouchables.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:54 pm
Cinematographer

Mama probably won't be any good, but I love me some Jessica Chastain. I'll be interested enough to check out its Tomatometer, maybe read a review or two.

What's this year's The Grey? I caught it last week and enjoyed it to the tune of a year end top ten entry. (Does its marketing even matter anymore?)

Zero Dark Thirty, of course.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:18 pm
Auteur

Parker, Last Stand and Broken City look pretty good, other then that there's not much of interest, Gangster Squad looks very mediocre.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:33 pm
Cinematographer

I almost forgot about Mama. Could be either a genuinely frightening horror film or a cliched mess. If it opts to be the latter, then it will be to Chastain what No Strings Attached was to Portman. Two Best Actress hopefuls who still managed to appear in godawful January releases.

I loved The Grey too, although I was shocked to find it #3 on Roeper's best-of list this year. Here's the link: http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/m ... -list.html. No video this year.

Broken City looks idiotic. That being said, here are my most-anticipated movies of January:

1. Gangster Squad - Ryan Gosling is cool. That's all that this movie has going for it.

2. Mama - Looks interesting enough. At least it doesn't look as bad as Dark Skies or (even worse) A Haunted House.

3. The Last Stand - Insert "he's back" joke here.

4. Parker - I like Statham, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in this fascinating character study.

5. Broken City - Everything else looks unwatchable.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:21 pm
Auteur

Mama looks absolutely horrible, i'll be staying FAR away from that one, Texas Chainsaw Massacre looks like OK, but i'll wait until DVD to see that one.

I'm a fan of Allen Hughes, and it's cool to Wahlberg and Crowe teaming up, so I think Broken City could be a very interesting thriller.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:34 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Gangster Squad may end up being good. It was supposed to be released last year but got pushed back because of the Aurora shooting.

I think it was wise to move it, but I am skeptical. I feel like if they had any confidence it was good they would have given it a 2012 release to have a chance at awards/Top 10 Lists. The terrible Jay-Z song in the trailer is hopefully not indicative of the overall style of the film.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:14 pm
Director

Zero Dark Thirty is about it, unless Amour makes it here somehow.

Least anticipated is the Hansel and Gretel movie.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:37 pm
Auteur

Syd Henderson wrote:
Zero Dark Thirty is about it, unless Amour makes it here somehow.

Least anticipated is the Hansel and Gretel movie.

Yeah, Witchhunters looks even worse then Mama. It's looks like yet another unwanted and completely pointless re-imagining(same with the upcoming Oz: The Great And Powerful).

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:41 pm
Cinematographer

The lack of love Michael Haneke is getting in this thread is troubling, gents. Amour! That's the movie to see in January. One of the 5 best current directors in the world is releasing a new movie! It's a big deal!

I'll also be checking out Zero Dark Thirty and hoping it's as great as everyone seems to think it is.

I'm oddly curious about Arnold's The Last Stand seeing as how it's Kim Ji-woon's Hollywood debut. It's likely going to be terrible, but he's built up enough good will with me to get me into a theater.

Pedro wrote:
What's this year's The Grey? I caught it last week and enjoyed it to the tune of a year end top ten entry. (Does its marketing even matter anymore?)

I fucking love you. That is all.

Shade2 wrote:
I think it was wise to move it, but I am skeptical. I feel like if they had any confidence it was good they would have given it a 2012 release to have a chance at awards/Top 10 Lists. The terrible Jay-Z song in the trailer is hopefully not indicative of the overall style of the film.

Man, that Jay-Z song in the trailer is so. fucking. annoying. It's so obviously trying to be cool and hip that it grates on my nerves. It's also pretty weird to see a fairly recent rap song in a 40s period piece. Granted, this is something a ton of movies do, but the song is so loud and in your face in this specific instance, that it's off-putting.

And then there's Sean Penn, who I want to punch in the face every time I see the trailer. He's in full blown ham mode, and it doesn't look like it's in a good way from the trailer.

I'll fully admit that part of my anger towards this movie may be that I feel like I've been seeing the exact same trailer for the past year, but I can't help it. I'm super annoyed by this movie!

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:57 am
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
And then there's Sean Penn, who I want to punch in the face every time I see the trailer. He's in full blown ham mode, and it doesn't look like it's in a good way from the trailer.

Not to mention that his face already looks like a ham-hock in the movie anyway. I mean, srsly! I cannot be expected to take him seriously when he looks like videogame face.

And yeah Haneke should be getting more interest here. I've already seen it, and it's wonderful.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:21 pm
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Not to mention that his face already looks like a ham-hock in the movie anyway. I mean, srsly! I cannot be expected to take him seriously when he looks like videogame face.

And yeah Haneke should be getting more interest here. I've already seen it, and it's wonderful.

Being annoyed by Sean Penn is understandable, considering that he seems to act like a total dick all the time.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:09 pm
Cinematographer

To me, January is all about the holdovers from December, rather than the true releases for the month, which by and large look pretty unremarkable. So I'll be seeing Zero Dark Thirty, Amour, and The Impossible for sure.

I'm slightly interested in The Last Stand, not because of Arnold, but because it's directed by Ji-woon Kim, who made A Tale Of Two Sisters, The Good, The Bad, The Weird, and I Saw The Devil, all of which are pretty great. Not sure if his name alone is enough to get me into the theaters though.

Gangster Squad might be interesting. It was originally scheduled for release last year, so it might be better than typical January fare. On the other hand, the trailer for it is very off-putting. I'll probably still see it.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Blonde Almond wrote:
I'm slightly interested in The Last Stand, not because of Arnold, but because it's directed by Ji-woon Kim, who made A Tale Of Two Sisters, The Good, The Bad, The Weird, and I Saw The Devil, all of which are pretty great. Not sure if his name alone is enough to get me into the theaters though.

Yes, this is what I tried to say, but after reading what I typed, it sounds kind of like I was saying Arnold's built up some good will with me. That isn't the case, despite me enjoying many of his movies in a "so bad they're good" kind of way. Ji-woon Kim is the reason I'll be seeing it, even if the only reason is so I can say "Well, it wasn't my fault he didn't make it in Hollywood - I paid to see his only American release!"

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:09 pm