Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:01 pm

2012: A Year in Review 
Cinematographer

Post Re: 2012: A Year in Review
2012 was for me a good year in film, though perhaps my view was colored by my perception of the poor quality of films from the year before. As I only focused on seeing films that I was looking forward to, I didn't end up disliking any of them, though some definitely stood out in the group. There are still some films from 2012 that I've yet to see, like God Bless America and Compliance. Here is my ranking of films for the year so far:

1.) We Need To Talk About Kevin
2.) Django Unchained
3.) The Dark Knight Rises
3.) Skyfall
5.) Looper
6.) Dredd 3D
7.) The Avengers
8.) Chronicle
9.) Prometheus

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:36 am
Director

Quote:
Yeah. Don't do it... or he'll praise Ghost Rider again.

You do have a point.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:24 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
The only way I could laugh harder at this inclusion is if it was actually a joke.

Please don't respond to a post of mine with a trollish comment like this again. Next time just address the movie itself if you disagree with something I've said.

Trolls or not, Resident Evil 5/Ghost Rider/Hunger Games/The Hobbit are totally defensible and totally take-down-able. For either party to praise on is fine; for either party to scoff at one while praising the other is silly. Alas.

The best films I saw this year were The Master, End of Watch, Killing Them Softly, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Moonrise Kingdom, Indie Game: The Movie, Oslo: August 31, and Flight in some order. I was supremely entertained by Argo but remember nothing about it save for the very end. The epilogue of The Grey nearly ruined the movie for me. I liked Skyfall the most of the major summer/franchise releases and TDKR the least. I walked out of Safe House when I got a text offering a very moderately enticing alternative. I really liked Wreck-it Ralph.

Overall a really solid year, better than last year certainly. The first five on my list above topped nearly everything from last year, save for only A Separation.

There are still a few major ones I haven't seen.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:24 am
Cinematographer

In keeping with my recent history, I didn't see much:

The Hunger Games
The Lorax
The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
Get the Gringo
Bernie

None of the recent movies that has everyone else buzzing look even remotely attractive to me except for Looper. I was highly satisfied with all except The Lorax - which was a good kid's movie based upon my children's response, but was quite boring for me and the wife. Still happier than not for seeing it. Overall I feel 2012 was a very good movie year even knowing that I left a lot on the table.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:51 am
Director

Quote:
Trolls or not, Resident Evil 5/Ghost Rider/Hunger Games/The Hobbit

The thing I consider most important in a film, more important than anything else, is audio-visual rhythm. That may or may not explain my preference for Ghost Rider over Avengers.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:39 am
Critic

Ragnarok73 wrote:
2012 was for me a good year in film, though perhaps my view was colored by my perception of the poor quality of films from the year before. As I only focused on seeing films that I was looking forward to, I didn't end up disliking any of them, though some definitely stood out in the group. There are still some films from 2012 that I've yet to see, like God Bless America and Compliance. Here is my ranking of films for the year so far:

2.) Django Unchained
3.) Skyfall
5.) Looper
6.) Dredd 3D
7.) The Avengers
8.) Chronicle
9.) Prometheus

We Need to Talk About Kevin should be on a 2011 list, no?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:41 am
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

2.) Django Unchained
3.) Skyfall
5.) Looper
6.) Dredd 3D
7.) The Avengers
8.) Chronicle
9.) Prometheus

We Need to Talk About Kevin should be on a 2011 list, no?

I count it for 2012 because it didn't get wide distribution until January of that year. Zero Dark Thirty is similar in that regard.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
The only way I could laugh harder at this inclusion is if it was actually a joke.

Please don't respond to a post of mine with a trollish comment like this again. Next time just address the movie itself if you disagree with something I've said.

Eh, I've gone to bat for you a decent amount of times. I had nothing to say about the movie besides I find it funny someone thinks so highly of it. On a side note, I actually like a good chunk of your top ten (still really want to see Holy Motors).

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:00 pm
Director

Quote:
Eh, I've gone to bat for you a decent amount of times. I had nothing to say about the movie besides I find it funny someone thinks so highly of it. On a side note, I actually like a good chunk of your top ten (still really want to see Holy Motors).

Cool. Holy Motors is the year's craziest film. A great ride for anyone who has the patience for it.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 pm