Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:04 pm

2012: A Year in Review 
Cinematographer

Post 2012: A Year in Review
What did you think of 2012 as it related to cinema? Did you like it? Did you hate it? What were some of the year's best films? What were some of its worst? Comment below. Let the world know.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:51 pm
Critic

Post Re: 2012: A Year in Review
I had a lot of movies I liked this year. Good solid year for cinema, even though I had no **** films. I will be making a separate Top 10 thread, however, for people to post and share.

Worst film of the year for me? Rock of Ages.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:17 pm
Cinematographer

Many say that this was a good year for movies, especially in comparison to 2009, 2010, and 2011. Kind of like saying that an economic recession is preferable to a "fiscal cliff". 2011 and 2012 are certainly better years than 2009 and 2010, although the fact that they still featured hundreds of bad, mediocre, or just disappointing movies just goes to show how low expectations are nowadays. 2013 looks pretty bad. Probably the best year for movies in recent memory was 2007.

My favorite movie of the year? I have finally decided upon The Master.

My worst movie of the year? Battleship.

Most disappointing? The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:24 pm
Auteur

Pretty good year for me, next year also looks pretty promising.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:39 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

2012 for me was the year a lot of us tried to pretend 2011 was. Maybe no masterpieces, but a lot of really, really good movies. Skyfall and Argo probably won't even make my top 10--and those were good thrillers.

While a year like this is wholly satisfying, it has been a while now since I've walked out of a movie completely blown away, with no reservations. Inception? Harry Potter 7b? So while 2012 was a very good year, it would have been a great year if one or two of the top movies had managed to take that final leap. For example, I have very fond memories of 2009 at the movies, but that's probably almost entirely due to Star Trek, Inglourious Basterds, and Avatar all being completely fulfilling theater-going experiences in a way that nothing quite pulled off this year. Avengers was closest this year, but that was at least partly due to relief that it wasn't a total train wreck.

Most overrated movie: Cabin in the Woods. I actually had a good time in the theater, but it wasn't half as clever as it got credit for. Amazing premise. I just wish the screenplay had gotten a little more work beyond the premise. Which, it felt like it really didn't.

Biggest Surprise: There... really wasn't one. No movie came out of nowhere to gobsmack me. The way, say, Warrior did last year. Or Star Trek did in 2009. While that's not a problem, really, it is fun to be pleasantly surprised in a movie theater.

Best movie of the year: Lincoln. So far. I think. Could change, maybe, but I doubt anything I've already seen will jump it in my estimation. Of everything I haven't seen but likely will before the Oscars, Zero Dark Thirty seems the most likely challenger left.

Worst movie I saw: The Lorax. Only movie I saw this year that I just did not like. Could have been good--just... wasn't.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:52 pm
Producer

James's top 10 has it: the year was backloaded. There were some pretty good films early in the year, like The Avengers, The Hunger Games and The Secret World of Arietty (and ParaNorman in August, and Beasts of the Southern Wild probably also in August), but it was one of the weakest years in memory until Looper, and the films late in the year were the best: Argo, Silver Linings Playbook, Les Miserables, Skyfall, Lincoln, Life of Pi, and two kids' films Wreck-It Ralph and Rise of the Guardians.

Best Movie: Hard to choose. Argo, Les Miserables and Lincoln are the top candidates. Argo, I guess.

Worst Movie: The Man with the Iron Fists.

Meh Movies: Hope Springs, Trouble with the Curve, Hotel Transylvania. There goes ninety minutes of your life.

Most surprising: Beasts of the Southern Wild. I also liked "Mirror, Mirror" which puts me in a minority. It was a mess, but a fun mess.

Most disappointing: The Dark Knight Returns. Rock of Ages isn't good but I had really low expectations going in.

Overrated movie: The Master. Somewhat in the middle on the year but I see people putting it near the top and there were much better films this year.

Underrated movie: ParaNorman. Strong story and characters and a look that fits the story. What Frankenweenie is supposed to be (though Frankenweenie is pretty good in its own right). Salmon Fishing in the Yemen is a nice movie killed by its title.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:30 am
Second Unit Director

hello everyone,
2012 was a good year for comic book movies.
We had Dark Knight , Spiderman and Avengers which were fine films.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to see Dredd, but I will next year.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:43 am
Producer

I'll repost this in the inevitable end-of-year list thread. In the meantime, here are the new releases I saw this year and how I rank them:

TOP TIER

Moonrise Kingdom
Looper
Lincoln

UPPER-MID TIER

Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory
The Amazing Spider-Man
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Part 1)
Skyfall

MID TIER

John Carter
Prometheus

LOWER-MID TIER

Magic Mike

BOTTOM TIER

Cabin in the Woods

SPECIAL CONSIDERATION TIER

Louis CK: Live at the Beacon Theater
RiffTrax Live - Manos: The Hands of Fate

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:37 am
Producer

I thought it was an amazing year for movies. And I still have lots to see. Cloud Atlas, Arbitrage, The Impossible, Django Unchained, Les Miserables, The Impostor, Ruby Sparks, Being Flynn, Jeff Who Lives at Home, Your Sister's Sister, Hyde Park on Hudson, Anna Karenina, Hitchcock among others I haven't seen yet.

I actually have given 3 movies 4 stars this year. That hasn't happened in a long while.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:31 am
Assistant Director

I haven't seen a lot of films yet, like Django Unchained, Lincoln, etc. I've only seen 15 or so films, and most of them have been okay stuff, mostly in the B-grade range for me. The best I've seen was actually yesterday. A little known film called Chained. The worst has been probably The Raven.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Director

2012 represented an improvement over 2011 if nothing else. It may not have been up to the level of 2006 or 2007 let alone 1999. But on the whole it was better than the last two years combined.

Just to illustrate: For 2011 my top 10 included a Mission Impossible film. For most years, a Mission Impossible would have been an honorable mention at best.

Anyway 2012 started off slow. There were a few signs of life in the early part of the year with Bully and The Hunger Games. But it really kicked in with The Avengers. Then things quieted down for a while (even if I admit to an enjoyment of both Ted and Oliver Stone's much maligned Savages). Then came The Dark Knight Rises. Then things quieted down again until Looper. Then an upswing for the rest of the year. So yes, I can't argue with the point that 2012 was pretty backloaded. If one was just basing it on what was released betwen January and June it would be a lesser year than 2011.

The failures and/or underperformances of John Carter, Battleship, Rock Of Ages. Dark Shadows, Total Recall and a few others have been seen by many critics as a sign that much of the public has become burned out on formula blockbusters and hollow event movies that are really just feature length commercials in disguise. In some ways it's too soon to make that assessment. Yet I remain hopeful even as I realize that all it takes is the blockbuster success of the next Pirates or Transformers movie to prove that wrong.

Not gonna make a top ten list just yet. Got a few more films to see before I make that final judgment. But in the meantime I do have some strong contenders for one. They are:

The Avengers
Dark Knight Rises
Killing Them Softly
Looper
Lincoln
Les Miserables
Django Unchained
Argo
Bernie
Skyfall

Movies I still plan to see before making the actual list: Zero Dark Thirty, Moonrise Kingdom, Beasts Of The Southern Wild, Red Hook Summer.

A few notches below are Bully, the underrated Lawless and The Hunger Games. As for The Master I'm still trying to get my head around it. I admire it a great deal. But I can't say that I love it the way I love Boogie Nights and Magnolia. Will probably have to watch it another time before delivering a final verdict.

As for the other 2012 releases I saw this year:

Haywire was formula action on a Soderbergh level. Better than the likes of The Expendables. But Soderbergh was clearly running in circles here. Thin Ice faded from my memory in about the same length of time it took to leave theaters. 21 Jump Street was one of the better executed fornmula action comedies I've seen recently. Not great cinema no. But I can think of far worse ways to kill a couple hours. Dark Shadows, while more entertaining than much of the general public seemed to think, did nothing to stop Tim Burton's slide. Promettheus drew you in. But it also was hamstrung by trying to be everything to everyone. It aspired to be as well-remembered as Alien. Doesn't make it. But it is better thna bogus knock-offs like Event Horizon. Rock Of Ages was filler. But it was entertaining filler.

Savages was easily Oliver Stone's best film since Any Given Sunday if not Nixon. Ted was funny as hell. But it also was overlong and hamstrung by a one-joke premise. Sparkle was a forgettable attempt to emulate Dreamgirls. Alex Cross was ineptly scripted and weakly directed, even if Tyler Perry did broaden his range a tad. Flight featured a fantastic performance from Denzel Washington and is easily Zemeckis's best film since Contact. Unfortunately, it got mismarketed to the thriller audience and many of them came away disappointed. Shame because it is a very good character driven drama.

It did have low points as noted above. But on the whole 2012 was better than 2011. Not too sure about 2013.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:06 pm
Critic

Jeff Wilder wrote:

Savages was easily Oliver Stone's best film since Any Given Sunday if not Nixon. .

That's not really saying much. And don't get me wrong, I've got a soft-spot for Stone. I've seen...like...every one of his films. But Savages was a return to form only in that it wasn't actively terrible. And was kinda fun. In a U-turny sort of way. Did you see U-Turn?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:45 am
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

Savages was easily Oliver Stone's best film since Any Given Sunday if not Nixon. .

That's not really saying much. And don't get me wrong, I've got a soft-spot for Stone. I've seen...like...every one of his films. But Savages was a return to form only in that it wasn't actively terrible. And was kinda fun. In a U-turny sort of way. Did you see U-Turn?

I thought U-Turn was pretty buy Any Given Sunday did absolutely nothing for me, I found it very boring and uninvolving, even the great cast couldn't save that film.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:17 am
Assistant Director

Savages was pretty solid (here's my blog entry about it) and I agree it evokes that same U-Turn essence, even if the latter leaned more towards the dark comedy angle.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Given that I've only seen 30 movies, which have been released in 2012, (31 if you count Intouchables) and none of the prestigious end-of-the-year releases, it feels a bit premature to evaluate 2012 in full. Still, here it goes:

Best movie
Skyfall, because I love James Bond movies and this is as good as you could reasonably expect from a modern one. Sean Connery is not going to make more Bond movies and 60ies glamour a thing of the past, so the series is hardly going to get any better.

Second-best movie
The Avengers, which is the most entertaining comic book-inspired movie ever, although it doesn't transcend its genre unlike (in my opinion) X-Men, X2: X-Men United and perhaps The Dark Knight. I was also positively surprised because I hadn't been impressed by Whedon's output before.

Biggest (positive) suprise
See above. Otherwise, I didn't think that the idea of a magically come to life teddy bear with a pot habit and lots of fruity language could carry a movie, but Ted proved to be very funny.

Biggest Disappointment
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, because I had high hopes that Peter Jackson would recapture the magic, but he only managed to repeat himself, although it's still a good film. Admittedly, I thought that the 3D HFR presentation sucked enormously, so when I will inevitably see it for a second time on DVD, I might like it more. If this should be the case, The Dark Knight Rises will take the crown of biggest disappointment, although I only hoped for a good movie, not even an outstanding one.

Worst movie of 2012
Battleship, which is originally one of these games which aren't very much fun to play but pass the time and have the advantages of the players only needing a pen and a sheet of squared paper. Whatever you do with a pen and a sheet of squared paper (including insertion into bodily orifices), you'll still have more fun than with this movie. Grimm's Snow White comes a close second. Before you protest: I'm neither talking of Mirror, Mirror nor of Snow White and the Huntsman, the other two Snow White-themed movies of the year, but of a rip-off which is designed to lure unsuspecting DVD shop customers into renting it instead of its high-profile releases. Oh, This means War and Jihn Carter were also bad, but not remarkably awful.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:11 pm
Assistant Director

I made a small entry about the best/worst I saw from 2012 on my blog. Here it is.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Les Mis and Silver Linings Playbook have new things to offer, but they mostly celebrate things we've seen before. Good stuff.

Moonrise Kingdom, Chronicle, Skyfall, RE: Retribution, and to a lesser extent, Taken 2 and Ghost Rider had the most sharply forward-thinking vibes, finding new and creative ways to present and structure action and catharsis. Awesome.

Looper and The Dark Knight Rises met my expectations of mediocrity, but also humbled me a couple times. Not the worst.

Django Unchained I found morally offensive, not aesthetically. Avengers was both, but more the latter than the former.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:42 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
...and Ghost Rider had the most sharply forward-thinking vibes, finding new and creative ways to present and structure action and catharsis. Awesome.

The only way I could laugh harder at this inclusion is if it was actually a joke.

I still haven't seen most of the films I want to see this year. Out of what I have seen I'd say Skyfall was the best, Battleship the worst. I really enjoyed The Dark Knight Rises, Magic Mike, Looper, The Hunger Games, The Hobbit and The Cabin in the Woods with the first three chancing my top ten (not so certain about that on the others). I liked Prometheus, although it hasn't stuck with me like others films I saw this year. Dark Shadows was fun, although Burton's late career path remains disheartening. The most overrated but still good film I saw was The Avengers, which failed to really stand out in any way but was diverting enough for its duration. Mirror Mirror was cute enough but perhaps some people who were actually trying could have done something with it, same idea goes for The Woman in Black; just couldn't really care by the end of either of them. I didn't think The Grey did anything new either, in fact it was distressingly by the numbers. Wrath of the Titans was funny in all the wrong ways, and never tried for a damn thing. I found We Need to Talk About Kevin morally offensive and entirely misdirected. Swinton and Miller were great, but I've found nothing to convince me anything else about the movie was.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:51 pm
Director

Quote:
The only way I could laugh harder at this inclusion is if it was actually a joke.

Please don't respond to a post of mine with a trollish comment like this again. Next time just address the movie itself if you disagree with something I've said.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:24 am
Producer

Yeah. Don't do it... or he'll praise Ghost Rider again.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:31 am