Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:04 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Best Scenes of 2012 
Author Message
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:52 pm
Posts: 99
Post Re: Best Scenes of 2012
The closing shot of Zero Dark Thirty where
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Maya, finally having concluded with her life's work, just sits on that plane and cries presumably as she reflects on everything that had transpired over nearly the past decade leading up to it.
In a weird way, it reminded me of the closing moments of 1994's Fresh, where the young protagonist, having finally gotten what he thought he wanted, realizes that maybe it wasn't worth all of the collateral damage that had to be done to get there.

I also thought that the last part of Looper
[Reveal] Spoiler:
where Joe makes the shocking but shockingly logical decision to remove himself from the picture in order to avert a potential catastrophe in the future
was memorable. There's no doubt that this scene packed a punch but it made perfect sense when one takes the time to consider all that went before it.


Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7423
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Best Scenes of 2012
oafolay wrote:
The closing shot of Zero Dark Thirty where
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Maya, finally having concluded with her life's work, just sits on that plane and cries presumably as she reflects on everything that had transpired over nearly the past decade leading up to it.
In a weird way, it reminded me of the closing moments of 1994's Fresh, where the young protagonist, having finally gotten what he thought he wanted, realizes that maybe it wasn't worth all of the collateral damage that had to be done to get there.

I also thought that the last part of Looper
[Reveal] Spoiler:
where Joe makes the shocking but shockingly logical decision to remove himself from the picture in order to avert a potential catastrophe in the future
was memorable. There's no doubt that this scene packed a punch but it made perfect sense when one takes the time to consider all that went before it.


Totally agree with you about ZDT, but feel that calling anything in Looper "shockingly logical" is foolish

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:12 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:51 pm
Posts: 426
Location: Durham, NC
Post Re: Best Scenes of 2012
JamesKunz wrote:
Totally agree with you about ZDT, but feel that calling anything in Looper "shockingly logical" is foolish


This scene may not be "shockingly logical" per se, but correct in the logic that the film puts forward.

_________________
"I have now come to claim that satisfaction."


Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 am
Posts: 423
Post Re: Best Scenes of 2012
- Any of the fight scenes in The Raid.

- "Are you ear's pierced?" from Moonrise Kingdom

- The monster carnage from Cabin in the Woods

- The ocean shots from the 70mm viewing of The Master

- The abortion scene from Prometheus (one of the few truly effective parts of the movie)

- The frantically driving on the side of the road in forklift skewering a dead dog; covered in human faeces scene from Headhunters

- The now infamous 'chicken leg' scene from Killer Joe

- The opening scene of Beasts of the Southern Wild

I could go on for pages. What a year for movies. And there's still so many that haven't reached my shores yet.


Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:36 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:52 pm
Posts: 99
Post Re: Best Scenes of 2012
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
- Any of the fight scenes in The Raid

- The monster carnage from Cabin in the Woods

- The frantically driving on the side of the road in forklift skewering a dead dog; covered in human feces scene from Headhunters

- The now infamous 'chicken leg' scene from Killer Joe


I could go on for pages. What a year for movies. And there's still so many that haven't reached my shores yet.


How could I forget about these, especially the Killer Joe scene.

JackBurns wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Totally agree with you about ZDT, but feel that calling anything in Looper "shockingly logical" is foolish


This scene may not be "shockingly logical" per se, but correct in the logic that the film puts forward.


And um Kunzie, no disrespect but I think you're letting your distaste for the film color your feelings just a bit much. I mean you have to appreciate that Looper holds together surprisingly better than most films that take on the theme of time-travel. Frankly, it made more sense to me than even the Terminators.


Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7423
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Best Scenes of 2012
oafolay wrote:
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
- Any of the fight scenes in The Raid

- The monster carnage from Cabin in the Woods

- The frantically driving on the side of the road in forklift skewering a dead dog; covered in human feces scene from Headhunters

- The now infamous 'chicken leg' scene from Killer Joe


I could go on for pages. What a year for movies. And there's still so many that haven't reached my shores yet.


How could I forget about these, especially the Killer Joe scene.

JackBurns wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Totally agree with you about ZDT, but feel that calling anything in Looper "shockingly logical" is foolish


This scene may not be "shockingly logical" per se, but correct in the logic that the film puts forward.


And um Kunzie, no disrespect but I think you're letting your distaste for the film color your feelings just a bit much. I mean you have to appreciate that Looper holds together surprisingly better than most films that take on the theme of time-travel. Frankly, it made more sense to me than even the Terminators.


Perhaps, perhaps. For the record, I liked Looper, I just think it's the type of movie (or more to the point, is the movie) that internet people like ourselves overpraise to the stars. And Terminator gets credit for admitting its own ignorance about the technology:

"You go naked...something about the field generated by a living organism. Nothing dead will go."
"Why?"
"I didn't build the fucking thing!"

Give me that any day over a third person narration mentioning that, also, people totally have telekinesis now.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:22 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Best Scenes of 2012
JamesKunz wrote:
For the record, I liked Looper, I just think it's the type of movie (or more to the point, is the movie) that internet people like ourselves overpraise to the stars.

I don't think "overpraise" is the word. I think people are being genuine about their enthusiasm, but perhaps the reasons they divine for that enthusiasm aren't entirely accurate. For different wording, please see my sig.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:44 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 649
Location: The Desert
Post Re: Best Scenes of 2012
The Flight talk in the Pedros thread made me think of another standout scene: Denzel Washington, Kelly Reilly, and an unrecognizable James Badge Dale, all contemplating their own mortality, sharing a smoke together in the hospital stairwell.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr