Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:04 am

Best Scenes of 2012 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Best Scenes of 2012
The closing shot of Zero Dark Thirty where
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Maya, finally having concluded with her life's work, just sits on that plane and cries presumably as she reflects on everything that had transpired over nearly the past decade leading up to it.
In a weird way, it reminded me of the closing moments of 1994's Fresh, where the young protagonist, having finally gotten what he thought he wanted, realizes that maybe it wasn't worth all of the collateral damage that had to be done to get there.

I also thought that the last part of Looper
[Reveal] Spoiler:
where Joe makes the shocking but shockingly logical decision to remove himself from the picture in order to avert a potential catastrophe in the future
was memorable. There's no doubt that this scene packed a punch but it made perfect sense when one takes the time to consider all that went before it.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

oafolay wrote:
The closing shot of Zero Dark Thirty where
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Maya, finally having concluded with her life's work, just sits on that plane and cries presumably as she reflects on everything that had transpired over nearly the past decade leading up to it.
In a weird way, it reminded me of the closing moments of 1994's Fresh, where the young protagonist, having finally gotten what he thought he wanted, realizes that maybe it wasn't worth all of the collateral damage that had to be done to get there.

I also thought that the last part of Looper
[Reveal] Spoiler:
where Joe makes the shocking but shockingly logical decision to remove himself from the picture in order to avert a potential catastrophe in the future
was memorable. There's no doubt that this scene packed a punch but it made perfect sense when one takes the time to consider all that went before it.

Totally agree with you about ZDT, but feel that calling anything in Looper "shockingly logical" is foolish

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:12 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Totally agree with you about ZDT, but feel that calling anything in Looper "shockingly logical" is foolish

This scene may not be "shockingly logical" per se, but correct in the logic that the film puts forward.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 pm
Second Unit Director

- Any of the fight scenes in The Raid.

- "Are you ear's pierced?" from Moonrise Kingdom

- The monster carnage from Cabin in the Woods

- The ocean shots from the 70mm viewing of The Master

- The abortion scene from Prometheus (one of the few truly effective parts of the movie)

- The frantically driving on the side of the road in forklift skewering a dead dog; covered in human faeces scene from Headhunters

- The now infamous 'chicken leg' scene from Killer Joe

- The opening scene of Beasts of the Southern Wild

I could go on for pages. What a year for movies. And there's still so many that haven't reached my shores yet.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:36 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
- Any of the fight scenes in The Raid

- The frantically driving on the side of the road in forklift skewering a dead dog; covered in human feces scene from Headhunters

I could go on for pages. What a year for movies. And there's still so many that haven't reached my shores yet.

How could I forget about these, especially the Killer Joe scene.

JackBurns wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

This scene may not be "shockingly logical" per se, but correct in the logic that the film puts forward.

And um Kunzie, no disrespect but I think you're letting your distaste for the film color your feelings just a bit much. I mean you have to appreciate that Looper holds together surprisingly better than most films that take on the theme of time-travel. Frankly, it made more sense to me than even the Terminators.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Critic

oafolay wrote:
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
- Any of the fight scenes in The Raid

- The frantically driving on the side of the road in forklift skewering a dead dog; covered in human feces scene from Headhunters

How could I forget about these, especially the Killer Joe scene.

JackBurns wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

And um Kunzie, no disrespect but I think you're letting your distaste for the film color your feelings just a bit much. I mean you have to appreciate that Looper holds together surprisingly better than most films that take on the theme of time-travel. Frankly, it made more sense to me than even the Terminators.

Perhaps, perhaps. For the record, I liked Looper, I just think it's the type of movie (or more to the point, is the movie) that internet people like ourselves overpraise to the stars. And Terminator gets credit for admitting its own ignorance about the technology:

"You go naked...something about the field generated by a living organism. Nothing dead will go."
"Why?"
"I didn't build the fucking thing!"

Give me that any day over a third person narration mentioning that, also, people totally have telekinesis now.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:22 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
For the record, I liked Looper, I just think it's the type of movie (or more to the point, is the movie) that internet people like ourselves overpraise to the stars.

I don't think "overpraise" is the word. I think people are being genuine about their enthusiasm, but perhaps the reasons they divine for that enthusiasm aren't entirely accurate. For different wording, please see my sig.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:44 pm
Cinematographer

The Flight talk in the Pedros thread made me think of another standout scene: Denzel Washington, Kelly Reilly, and an unrecognizable James Badge Dale, all contemplating their own mortality, sharing a smoke together in the hospital stairwell.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 pm
Profile WWW