Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Weirdness in Movies 
Director

Post Weirdness in Movies
How do you define weirdness in movies? What makes a weird film for you, and is it a good thing?

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:51 am
Auteur

Post Re: Weirdness in Movies
For me it's when dialogue sounds very "off" and when there are seemingly random scenes that don't make sense in any kind of context. Southland Tales being one example, there's a scene with people inexplicably wearing raincoats and carrying umbrellas indoors, I had no clue what it had to do with anything or what if anything it was supposed to be a reference to. That movie is full of scenes like that.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:10 am
Producer

The number one weird thing in movies for me (good weird, not weird weird) is when a character, apropos of nothing, is acting as though he's hiding something from another character in the scene or thinking something that he isn't saying. Obviously, this doesn't count if whatever's hidden is revealed after. I just find it weird when characters act furtive and evasive for no apparent reason.

I guess one example is the dude playing the organ in Minority Report. He seemed like he was bursting at the seams with things he could have said but didn't. He was weird.

I guess a movie itself can take on that kind of weirdness, but it's uncommon. Videodrome is a movie that feels like it has all kinds of things lurking just beyond the edges of what we're shown. The feeling is woven into the fabric of the movie itself.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:15 am
Second Unit Director

superman 4 was a weird film.
For some reason it was set slightly in the future, but there seemed to be very little advancment in anything.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:46 pm
Producer

The UN building looked an awful lot like a municipal auditorium.

That'd be like Ocean's 11 being set in your friend's basement who has the neat blackjack table set up near the laundry machines.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:45 pm
Second Unit Director

How about
Gentlemen Broncos.
The whole Ronald Chevalier character with his weird accent and the fact he always has a blue tooth thingy on his ear.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:13 pm
Director

Quote:
a movie that feels like it has all kinds of things lurking just beyond the edges of what we're shown. The feeling is woven into the fabric of the movie itself.

Interesting! Perhaps where the film itself takes on a mysteriousness which seems to be divorced from the actual plot. More than meets the eye.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:41 pm
Second Unit Director

Weird Movies:

Gummo
Ken Park

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:09 pm