Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:16 pm

Has anyone seen... 
Second Unit Director

Post Has anyone seen...
Received a free month of Hulu Plus, which means I have access to a good majority of the Criterion Collection. I wanted to know if anyone has seen the following films, and wanted to know their thoughts on them as well. Any other suggestions from the "Collection" would also be appreciated.

Easy Rider
Five Easy Pieces
The Last Picture Show

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:35 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Has anyone seen...
Seen Easy Rider and Five Easy Pieces.

Think Easy Rider is a little over rated but Five Easy Pieces is a must see, a genuine four star film.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:43 pm
Critic

Easy Rider

You *must* see this film. It's not perfect, but it is so important to film history (it made so much money it launched the director-dominated 70s as well as launching Jack Nicholson and the idea of pop soundtracks) and such a valuable reflection on American culture in the late-60s that you have to have seen it. Plus it's actually really pretty good

Five Easy Pieces

A film that I always associate with Easy Rider, probably because they both star Jack Nicholson, have the word "easy" in their titles, and came out within a year of each other. This one's less iconic, but probably the better film. Either way, definitely worth seeing.

The Last Picture Show

Ahhh for the brief period in which Peter Bogdanovich was one of American cinema's shooting stars. Adapted from Larry McMurtry's novel (also very good) it looks at life in a dying Texas town in the 1950s, focusing on two young men as they come of age. With its staggering lack of idealism, predictable arcs and happy character endings, it's anti-Hollywood to its core, which makes it all the more memorable.

Basically, watch all three. Great slice of American cinema in 1969, 1970, and 1971

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:17 pm
Cinematographer

The Last Picture Show is an absolute masterpiece in my estimation. It's a personal favorite and the best film to come out of that whole BBS Productions era. I can't say enough good things about that movie.

Five Easy Pieces isn't as good, but it's another high point of New Hollywood. I always got the impression that Nicholson and Rafelson considered it the best of their collaborations. Nicholson's performance is worth watching by itself.

Easy Rider is something I didn't much care for, but totally understand why folks love it. It felt too much like an extended music video for my taste. It's the most iconic of the BBS movies, and as Kunz said, it's worth seeing because of how important it is to film history. Nicholson, in a supporting role, is the best part about the movie.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:10 pm
Director

It's been years since I've seen Last Picture Show, so I'll hold my comments there. However, the other two are masterpieces, and I consider them among the best films ever made.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:34 am