Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:45 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18 
Author Message
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 201
Post 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
December 18th marks the 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

Hard to believe it's been 10 years already since this was released. How convenient that this coincides with the release of The Hobbit.


Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:39 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
I never was a huge LOTR fan, but I read The Hobbit and saw all the movies theatrically. They're pretty cool.

I think this one gets somewhat unfairly painted as the incomplete one, and therefore the least fulfilling. The two questions I pose are: Does it not do exactly what it's supposed to do by telling the middle third of the complete story? And, what is so wrong with that?

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:36 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1717
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
Lord of the Rings is a truly subjective thing. You either love em, or you can't sit through them. At least that's been my experience with people. Return of the King and Two Towers, despite being bloated beyond all reckoning, do manage to capture the feel of a good sword/sandal battle epic. I find Fellowship, however, to be an ungodly mess. For this first chapter, Jackson is stuck somewhere between King Arthur and Harry Potter, never joining the two together cohesively.

There's fun to be had with these movies, but they were taken way too seriously at the time.


Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:47 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2473
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
I pretty much agree completely with that, Cook.

Back in the Winter of 2001, I took my then 11 year old sister to see Fellowship of the Ring at the cinema, and both of us nearly fell asleep. Two Towers is an improvement and Return of the King an improvement still, but all films can be difficult to get your teeth into if you don't already suscribe to the franchise's godly status among existing fans.

LoTR is more of a religion than a film. For believers that is obviously awesome, but for agnostics, despite some entertaining and enlightening passages, it all gets a bit much.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:45 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 424
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
I think most religious book franchises are like that. All the Potter films are pretty average in general, except the final two which were pretty good films in their own right. But if you didn't buy into the hype, it would be pretty difficult to justify them or consider them as great films.

I read the LOTR books before I saw the films and therefore was pretty into the franchise. With Fellowship of the Ring, the book and the film both are pretty slow for the most part. I almost put the book down till the gang reached Rivendell. That is where the story kicks off and the trip through Moria is brilliant in both versions. The film concludes on the perfect note.

The Two Towers was a great improvement in both formats. And the Battle for Helm's Deep was brilliantly picturized in the film. The Return of the King is one of the pieces of writing I've ever read and the translation to film format was also perfect. My only complaint was the reduction in role for Gandalf which is apparently fixed in the Extended Version.

The main problem with all of them is that they're in general overlong. Most people, even fans, cannot sit through 3 and half hours of film. Reading a book is different and the page-turning experience is exhilarating. The same cannot be said for a film, at least for me. Which is why a format similar to The Game of Thrones maybe the future of such epics. It allows writers to give us more material than would be possible in a film and it doesn't leave fans bored because said material is given in one-hour episodes on a weekly basis. Even LOTR and HP would make for a great TV series considering what GOT has already achieved.

As to whether the trilogy can be considered a masterpiece of filmmaking or not, I am not qualified enough to say that. I will say that they're great examples of how technology can be used effectively to make for great entertainment.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:03 am
Profile WWW
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2473
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
My personal opinion is that LoTR would make 2 awesome 2 hour films.

Yet I'm aware that saying such a thing could get me lynched.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:05 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1717
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
Quote:
LoTR is more of a religion than a film. For believers that is obviously awesome, but for agnostics, despite some entertaining and enlightening passages, it all gets a bit much.


Agreed. The strange thing is that it's not as idiosyncratic or unique as it pretends to be...yeah, religion sounds about right.


Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:34 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 am
Posts: 423
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
MGamesCook wrote:
Agreed. The strange thing is that it's not as idiosyncratic or unique as it pretends to be...yeah, religion sounds about right.


Didn't you once say that the Lord of the Rings films were by far the greatest and most ground-breaking films of the past decade? Or has that changed too?


Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:47 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 424
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
NotHughGrant wrote:
My personal opinion is that LoTR would make 2 awesome 2 hour films.

Yet I'm aware that saying such a thing could get me lynched.
Quite possibly. If someone had not read the books, then the story could've been told in a 2 hour film that would've made for great explosive entertainment with as little exposition as possible.

But Peter Jackson's greatest challenge was to please fans who'd been devoted to the book for almost 50 decades while also trying to please movie-goers of the 21st century who were looking for popcorn entertainment. I think it is safe to say that he faced up to those challenges admirably and gave both fans and regular movie-goers the kind of experience they respectively wanted.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:07 am
Profile WWW
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2473
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
I respect that, and I'm also aware that Jackson applied the same "epic" formula to King Kong. It's hard for me to fully appraise Lord of the Rings because I haven't read the books, but Jackson's approach to King Kong was so conscious in its attempts to make the defining reference of that particular tale, that the story gets kind of lost. Despite its obvious mastery, something in that film doesn't fully work which is why that despite being set up to be some kind of all-time great film, it clearly isn't regarded as such 7 years after the dust has settled. In fact, in spite of its epic scale, it feels kind of forgotten about.

Perhaps someone more in the know about Lord of the Rings than I am, could tell me if this is also true of this.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:43 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:34 am
Posts: 162
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
My personal opinion is that LoTR would make 2 awesome 2 hour films.

Yet I'm aware that saying such a thing could get me lynched.
Quite possibly. If someone had not read the books, then the story could've been told in a 2 hour film that would've made for great explosive entertainment with as little exposition as possible.

But Peter Jackson's greatest challenge was to please fans who'd been devoted to the book for almost 50 decades while also trying to please movie-goers of the 21st century who were looking for popcorn entertainment. I think it is safe to say that he faced up to those challenges admirably and gave both fans and regular movie-goers the kind of experience they respectively wanted.


Must have been the original version, written by Bilbo.


Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:54 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 424
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
MunichMan wrote:
Must have been the original version, written by Bilbo.
Oops, my bad! Obviously I meant 5 decades. :oops:

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am
Posts: 231
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
Sorry about this everyone, but I found the 2 towers to be one tedious battle scene after another.
I also really hated the Théoden character. He moaned continuously about how everything was pointless.
Also there was one scene where are the crazy Saruman army were crossing a bridge to enter some castle.
Up until this point anything that came their way was just mowed down and destroyed without that much effort.
But low and behold, they open the castle gates and the heros ride on horses and the big bad army just parts for them.

I have major dislike for the Lord of Rings fan base itself. They are snobby towards most films and can be extremely critical of any plot holes that exist and yet can be very defensive when anyone criticizes any in of the plot holes and cliches that exist in the LoTR film series.

This last line may annoy alot of the formentioned fan base but here you are,

"Lord of the Rings was a good film series but it's no Star Wars"


Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:05 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 am
Posts: 423
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
p604 wrote:
I have major dislike for the Lord of Rings fan base itself. They are snobby towards most films and can be extremely critical of any plot holes that exist and yet can be very defensive when anyone criticizes any in of the plot holes and cliches that exist in the LoTR film series.


This statement can be (and I've heard it on at least a dozen other occasions) applied to ANY other fan base. So really, you're not describing any fan base in particular, you're just describing a stupid person.


Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:42 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1717
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Agreed. The strange thing is that it's not as idiosyncratic or unique as it pretends to be...yeah, religion sounds about right.


Didn't you once say that the Lord of the Rings films were by far the greatest and most ground-breaking films of the past decade? Or has that changed too?


Years ago, I said that, but many things have changed since then. When I first discovered Bond, Majesty and Licence to Kill were by far my least favorite. I couldn't get through them. Completely reversed now. It was just one major wave of reconsideration for me. I'm not a constant flip-flopper.

Quote:
This statement can be (and I've heard it on at least a dozen other occasions) applied to ANY other fan base. So really, you're not describing any fan base in particular, you're just describing a stupid person.


The rabid fanbase seems to be born from a love em or hate em mentality. They can't be good; only great. And if not great, then terrible. This must be why Bond has never had issues with a rabid fanbase. The quality of a Bond film is always transparent. The strengths and weaknesses too obvious to be ignored. Fanbases, on the other hand, depend on the power of subjectivity.


Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:57 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am
Posts: 231
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
[quote="Awkward Beard Man]

This statement can be (and I've heard it on at least a dozen other occasions) applied to ANY other fan base. So really, you're not describing any fan base in particular, you're just describing a stupid person.[/quote]
hello ABM
I don't know that stupid is the correct description.
I think "elitess" might be better.


Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:18 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1717
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
p604 wrote:
I don't know that stupid is the correct description.I think "elitess" might be better.


Good point. If they were merely stupid, they wouldn't piss me off so much.


Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:05 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 am
Posts: 423
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
MGamesCook wrote:
p604 wrote:
I don't know that stupid is the correct description.I think "elitess" might be better.


Good point. If they were merely stupid, they wouldn't piss me off so much.


Which I guess you could put down to a lack of emotional intelligence. There's more that one way to be stupid :P


Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:42 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:56 pm
Posts: 197
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
MGamesCook wrote:
I find Fellowship, however, to be an ungodly mess. For this first chapter, Jackson is stuck somewhere between King Arthur and Harry Potter, never joining the two together cohesively.

There's fun to be had with these movies, but they were taken way too seriously at the time.


Can you qualify these two statements? I find them more interesting than talk of the LotR fanbase.

_________________
Never take a forum signature too seriously, even this one.


Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:35 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am
Posts: 231
Post Re: 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -12/18
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

Which I guess you could put down to a lack of emotional intelligence. There's more that one way to be stupid :P


I find that they irrate me becuase at the tiome they thought that LotR was so superior to anything else and if there were any flaws in the script then they would use the argument.
"Well it was written 50 / 60 years ago"
They also have the following expression/
"There are two types of people in the literary world, those who have read LotR and those who haven't"
At the time when I heard one of them saying this, I thought. perhaps they are right.
But now, I think that it is just bullshit.
Again I'm sorry if this annoys anyone but
I believe that LotR's is a kids book taken way too seriously by adults.


Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:53 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr