Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:48 pm

Some recommendations for excellent documentary films please. 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Some recommendations for excellent documentary films please.
ram1312 wrote:
wisey wrote:
The ones I enjoy most are on matters relating to Film Director’s and actors (obviously), sportspeople or teams, musicians, scandles or cover ups and drug addiction.

Not sure if you consider rap artists musicians, but Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap is a documentary that came out this year directed by Ice-T. It centers on the craft of writing and performing of rap verses. Not the greatest "documentary," per se, but if you are even remotely into hip hop (or was, as my case is) you'll find the interviews pretty interesting. They bounce from New York to Detroit to Los Angeles interviewing the likes of KRS One, Immortal Technique, B Real, Chuck D, Melle Mel, Afrika Bombaata, Doug E. Fresh, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Snoop and on and on and on.

Pete...think you might like this. It's on instant.

On the subject of rap documentaries, I would also recommend Beats Rhymes & Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest.

One more that surprisingly hasn't been mentioned yet: Anvil: The Story of Anvil. One of the best music documentaries of recent years, if not the very best.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

ram1312 wrote:
wisey wrote:
The ones I enjoy most are on matters relating to Film Director’s and actors (obviously), sportspeople or teams, musicians, scandles or cover ups and drug addiction.

Not sure if you consider rap artists musicians, but Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap is a documentary that came out this year directed by Ice-T. It centers on the craft of writing and performing of rap verses. Not the greatest "documentary," per se, but if you are even remotely into hip hop (or was, as my case is) you'll find the interviews pretty interesting. They bounce from New York to Detroit to Los Angeles interviewing the likes of KRS One, Immortal Technique, B Real, Chuck D, Melle Mel, Afrika Bombaata, Doug E. Fresh, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Snoop and on and on and on.

Pete...think you might like this. It's on instant.

You know, I saw that this was available a night or two ago and was interested. I'm off all next week with nothing much to do and I'm putting together a list of movies to get watched. This will be on that list. Thanks, rammy.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:12 pm
Producer

Cinemania and Word Wars are two docs that might not change your life, but they're an interesting look into their respective subcultures--movie filmdom and competitive Scrabble. There's a lot of passion and pathos in each. I would say these are similar in appeal to The King of Kong, though having dabbled in competitive gaming myself, Kong was the most endearing to me. (Guess which one Ebert liked the most.)

Then there's No Maps For These Territories, which is a feature length conversation with the great author William Gibson. It touches on his work somewhat, but it's more about his point of view concerning our culture and the times that lie ahead. The filmmakers, aware that a feature length interview isn't the most cinematic thing in the world, do spruce things up a bit with some inventive shooting and editing.

And there's a good FREE* documentary called Good Copy, Bad Copy, which is about the rise of sampling in music and how the artists involved have butted heads with record labels. It's an interesting examination of what happens when old laws come into contact with new technologies. Some of the featured interviewees have had high-profile cases, such as DJ Dangermouse and his Gray Album.

*That means there's no excuse not to download it and watch it!

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:50 pm
Producer

Blonde Almond wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

One more that surprisingly hasn't been mentioned yet: Anvil: The Story of Anvil. One of the best music documentaries of recent years, if not the very best.

An excellent film. I can't believe I forgot it,

Ken wrote:
Cinemania and Word Wars are two docs that might not change your life, but they're an interesting look into their respective subcultures--movie filmdom and competitive Scrabble. There's a lot of passion and pathos in each. I would say these are similar in appeal to The King of Kong, though having dabbled in competitive gaming myself, Kong was the most endearing to me. (Guess which one Ebert liked the most.)

Along the same lines as Word Wars is Wordplay about Will Shortz and the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:13 pm
Second Unit Director

I'll second "Searching for Sugar Man"

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:29 pm
Second Unit Director

The Thin Blue Line (1988 Errol Morris) **.5/****

I couldn’t get into this documentary at all whilst watching it. One of my pet hates is re-enactments and this tTBL is chocked full of them. I didn’t find the story all that interesting, there is minimal real life footage of the events that took place and the two main characters / suspects who were implicated in the shooting of the officer I had trouble caring for.

Since then I’ve done a bit of research and now understand that this documentary helped change the genre and implemented elements that are commonly used today, so in retrospect I’m glad to have seen it.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, there's so many to see. I'm going to try Searching for Sugar Man next.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:01 am
Second Unit Director

I wasn't a huge fan of it, but Senna.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:48 pm