Cinematographer

Post Re: Oh no...OH NO!
:|

Meh.

My advice: just ignore it.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:08 pm
Producer

Let me get this straight - stateside, specific performances are advertised for Oscars?

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:59 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

As a musical? Sounds strange for the type of movie Pan's Labyrinth is. Could you see the Pale man breaking into a show stopping number?

Maybe they can do a Lion King sort of thing with it. Could be good, I guess.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:25 pm
Second Unit Director

I don't really see any issue here.
If this is created then it will have to be of staged on a large scale.
Most large scale plays/musicals start in Broadway.
Therefore, if it is not to your taste and you don't live in New York then you can comfortably ignore quite easily.
A bonus of course is that if it is any good it may travel to a theatre in a large city neart you and you can go and see it.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:35 am

Hey, it could work. They did a pretty darn good job with the LOTR stage production. Not exactly what one would think of as a musical, but it worked.

If it's done right, it could be a good thing.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:45 am
Critic

Though I quite like a good musical, I strongly look down on the idea of taking a movie that wasn't a musical and turning it into one. Here's why:

Storytelling is about exigence -- elements should only be included if they are demanded by the story. Therefore, taking a movie that already existed (and incredibly successfully at that) as a film without music and adding music is pointless. It would be like taking a movie that didn't have gunfights and adding gunfights because, boy, people love gunfights. It's in opposition to my entire understanding of good storytelling.

This doesn't just apply to the Legally Blonde: the Musical and The Producers of the world, but to many respected musicals too. Why is My Fair Lady a great movie when every great line and the entire plot is already on display in Pygmalion in 74 fewer minutes? What storytelling purpose does "Get Me to the Church on Time" play? How is it more important to the movie than a gunfight would be?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:04 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Though I quite like a good musical, I strongly look down on the idea of taking a movie that wasn't a musical and turning it into one. Here's why:

Storytelling is about exigence -- elements should only be included if they are demanded by the story. Therefore, taking a movie that already existed (and incredibly successfully at that) as a film without music and adding music is pointless. It would be like taking a movie that didn't have gunfights and adding gunfights because, boy, people love gunfights. It's in opposition to my entire understanding of good storytelling.

This doesn't just apply to the Legally Blonde: the Musical and The Producers of the world, but to many respected musicals too. Why is My Fair Lady a great movie when every great line and the entire plot is already on display in Pygmalion in 74 fewer minutes? What storytelling purpose does "Get Me to the Church on Time" play? How is it more important to the movie than a gunfight would be?

That is exactly my biggest problem with many musicals: not why someone bursts into a song with full orchestra for no apparent reason, it's because the story comes to a dead halt and the song unnecessarily reapeats what could have been said with one or two lines, or worse: what has been said already. I prefer when a story is constructed around musical production numbers (or even simple songs without dance), or when they provide further insight and or continue the narrative thrust. "Pygmalion" to "My Fair Lady" also was the first example which came into my mind as an example of unnecessary "hammering in" of songs.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:42 pm
Producer

Combining a great play with one of the greatest song scores ever? Can't imagine why anyone would want to do that.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:05 pm
Syd Henderson wrote:
Combining a great play with one of the greatest song scores ever? Can't imagine why anyone would want to do that.

For the same reason you wouldn't want to combine a piece of delicious cake with mustard (unless you are Chuck Aspegren in "The Deer Hunter"). Two great things combined doesn't necessarily yield a great result. Both may work fine on their own, but combined they might "cancel out" each other.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:37 pm
Critic

Syd Henderson wrote:

I think I made it perfectly clear why I don't think it's a good idea. Do you feel that Glengarry Glen Ross, though a terrific play, needs more gunfighting scenes? After all, combining a great play with one of the greatest shoot-outs ever...can't imagine why anyone would want to do that.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:07 pm

NotHughGrant wrote:
Let me get this straight - stateside, specific performances are advertised for Oscars?

Yes.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:58 pm