Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:39 am

Henry Mancini 
Producer

Post Henry Mancini
It took me an age to track "lujon" once I'd heard it. What do our maestros Threeper and Ken make of Mancini? I love that track! It strikes nostalgia gold!

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:37 pm
Producer

Post Re: Henry Mancini
I'll venture a guess and say that it was The Big Lebowski that sent you down this particular rabbit hole.

Anyway, I dig him. His work in TV and movies dates back to a time when it seems like the composers all had their own musical personalities. There's a lot of sameness nowadays, but Mancini was one of a kind.

Flash fact: listen to the piano part in the Peter Gunn theme, played by none other than John Williams (officially credited as Johnny Williams).

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:56 pm
Henry Mancini: one of the all time greats. I have his book: "Sounds and Scores" which is pure gold for composers/arrangers/orchestrators such as yours truly. For example: he often used the french horns as a substitute for the saxophones within a jazz horn section, something which requires painstaking search for french horn players being able to play jazz articulations (which a purely classicaly trained musician cannot - against popular belief that jazz is "inferior" to classical music - which in fact it is not.)
Mancini was not just an ace and innovative musician - he also was a teacher.

Yep: John Williams started as a jazz pianist including a lot of work for Mancini. You can hear in his operatic compositions that he also knows jazz chord voicings - but I digress.

"Lujon" is a beautiful instrumental combining Nelson Riddle style arrangements (like the sweet violin melody in dense parallel voicing - meaning all voices have the exact same melody contour and articulation/dynamics) with a (then) edgy latin bolero rhythm.

Mancini was one of the pioneers which brought jazz and latin-american elements into film music. He really mastered these styles. Just listen to the middle section of the Pink Panther theme where the full big band blasts away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OPc7MRm4Y8

(go straight to 0:45 - there it is! I love this stuff to death!)

That of course shows that Mancini was in full command of the brilliant 1950/60s Count Basie/Neil Hefti big band sound. Here's a classic: Jerry Lewis "pantomiming" to "Blues in Hoss Flat" (of course Peter Griffin did that as well):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MA3406YJUg&noredirect=1

I am lucky enough to have old early 70s books from Berklee College of Music where it is all explained in detail. Unfortunately this style of big band plus string section/french horn orchestra arranging isn't taught anymore at Berklee as it is considered obsolete. BUT you can hear it in the great homage of early '60s Doris Day Movies: "Down With Love" (2003). And of course in many of Michael Bublé tunes (whom I admire, but I am not a huge fan because it all has been done brilliantly by Sinatra and his buddies half a century ago).

Anyway: Mancini was one of the all time great musicians and he remains one of my idols.

Here is another fantasic Mancini classic, combining, jazz, latin rhythm and dramatic/romantic orchestra parts - just beautiful!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltnH36_yKQ0

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:06 pm
Cinematographer

The dude abides... 8-)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:40 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Ken wrote:
I'll venture a guess and say that it was The Big Lebowski that sent you down this particular rabbit hole.

Anyway, I dig him. His work in TV and movies dates back to a time when it seems like the composers all had their own musical personalities. There's a lot of sameness nowadays, but Mancini was one of a kind.

Flash fact: listen to the piano part in the Peter Gunn theme, played by none other than John Williams (officially credited as Johnny Williams).

Sort of. The track has been doing the rounds in my head for a year but I couldn't remember a film where I heard it. I heard it in Sexy Beast again 6 months ago and then again in The Big Lebowski last week

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:39 am
Producer

Threeperf35 wrote:
Henry Mancini: one of the all time greats. I have his book: "Sounds and Scores" which is pure gold for composers/arrangers/orchestrators such as yours truly. For example: he often used the french horns as a substitute for the saxophones within a jazz horn section, something which requires painstaking search for french horn players being able to play jazz articulations (which a purely classicaly trained musician cannot - against popular belief that jazz is "inferior" to classical music - which in fact it is not.)
Mancini was not just an ace and innovative musician - he also was a teacher.

Yep: John Williams started as a jazz pianist including a lot of work for Mancini. You can hear in his operatic compositions that he also knows jazz chord voicings - but I digress.

"Lujon" is a beautiful instrumental combining Nelson Riddle style arrangements (like the sweet violin melody in dense parallel voicing - meaning all voices have the exact same melody contour and articulation/dynamics) with a (then) edgy latin bolero rhythm.

Mancini was one of the pioneers which brought jazz and latin-american elements into film music. He really mastered these styles. Just listen to the middle section of the Pink Panther theme where the full big band blasts away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OPc7MRm4Y8

(go straight to 0:45 - there it is! I love this stuff to death!)

That of course shows that Mancini was in full command of the brilliant 1950/60s Count Basie/Neil Hefti big band sound. Here's a classic: Jerry Lewis "pantomiming" to "Blues in Hoss Flat" (of course Peter Griffin did that as well):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MA3406YJUg&noredirect=1

I am lucky enough to have old early 70s books from Berklee College of Music where it is all explained in detail. Unfortunately this style of big band plus string section/french horn orchestra arranging isn't taught anymore at Berklee as it is considered obsolete. BUT you can hear it in the great homage of early '60s Doris Day Movies: "Down With Love" (2003). And of course in many of Michael Bublé tunes (whom I admire, but I am not a huge fan because it all has been done brilliantly by Sinatra and his buddies half a century ago).

Anyway: Mancini was one of the all time great musicians and he remains one of my idols.

Here is another fantasic Mancini classic, combining, jazz, latin rhythm and dramatic/romantic orchestra parts - just beautiful!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltnH36_yKQ0

Thanks for that, Threeper. I'll check it out.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:42 am