Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:13 pm

Les Miserables 
Second Unit Director

Post Les Miserables
I've seen some of the trailers for this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpK6ruZ_BLU&feature=fvst
I am very much looking forward to this film.
It looks to be very a gritty, dirty, beautifully filmed masterpiece.
something to look forward to over Christmass.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:02 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Les Mierables
I watched the most recent trailer a few nights ago, and yeah I too am looking forward to this. I have guilty love for musicals, and the cast looks great. Plus it's probably one of the few time's when my sister and my own tastes overlap, so it'll be nice to see it together over Christmas, sibling bonding and all.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:13 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Les Miserables
I like the way that it is will be tailored towards Adults as opposed to the most new releases are geared towards teenagers.
I think Anne Hathaway looks brilliant in her role. If the trailor is anything to go by, could an oscar be calling.
Also I 've just seen that it is not comin out until 13 january 2013 in Ireland, so christmass is out i afraid.
I also wonder was her hair cut for real during he filming, like 50/50 or was a wig. I hope it was real.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:29 am
Producer

I definitely agree that Anne Hathaway could win finally that oscar, something that SHOULD have happened with Rachel Getting Married. But better late than never. This also looks like it could end up being Hugh Jackman's best performance as well.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 am
Producer

Russell Crowe looks good, too. It looks well-cast in general. If it's as good as the trailers, it's safe to expect it to lead in Oscar nominations.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:22 am
Auteur

p604 wrote:
I like the way that it is will be tailored towards Adults as opposed to the most new releases are geared towards teenagers.
I think Anne Hathaway looks brilliant in her role. If the trailor is anything to go by, could an oscar be calling.
Also I 've just seen that it is not comin out until 13 january 2013 in Ireland, so christmass is out i afraid.
I also wonder was her hair cut for real during he filming, like 50/50 or was a wig. I hope it was real.

Yes she did cut her hair for real.

This seems like the type of film my mom and sister would love, i'm not a fan of musicals myself, so it dosen't really look appealing to me.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:56 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
p604 wrote:

This seems like the type of film my mom and sister would love, i'm not a fan of musicals myself, so it doesn't really look appealing to me.

look past the musical elements of this film.
this looks to be a moving and deep masterpiece that will hopefully touch the heart. Any film that does that is definitely worth a viewing.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:56 pm
Auteur

p604 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
p604 wrote:

This seems like the type of film my mom and sister would love, i'm not a fan of musicals myself, so it doesn't really look appealing to me.

look past the musical elements of this film.
this looks to be a moving and deep masterpiece that will hopefully touch the heart. Any film that does that is definitely worth a viewing.

Even putting the "musical" aspect, it still dosen't look like my type of film, I typically don't go for most Oscar bait films, so i'll be giving this one a pass.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:58 pm
Cinematographer

Have seen the production both on Broadway and with the traveling crew and liked quite a bit both times. I haven't taken in any recent Broadway musicals converted to film like Chicago; the last musical I've seen was probably Moulin Rouge. Would like to see this one with the wife, but I don't see us getting a babysitter for it. Would probably not see it solo or with my manly friends so this may have to wait till home viewing.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:44 pm
Director

reviews in variety & the reporter sound a bit lukewarm. 158 mins.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117948874?refcatid=31

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/ ... iew/398662

TCM is showing 3 versions of Les Mis next week, 1935 with Charles Laughton & Frederic Match, 1952 with Michael Rennie & Robert Newton & a nearly 5 hour(!) French version from 1934

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:35 pm
Second Unit Director

Interesting that most of the negative reviews I've read didn't like stage musical to begin with. So it doesn't sound like it's a bad adaptation.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:00 pm
Producer

Johnny Larue wrote:
Have seen the production both on Broadway and with the traveling crew and liked quite a bit both times. I haven't taken in any recent Broadway musicals converted to film like Chicago; the last musical I've seen was probably Moulin Rouge. Would like to see this one with the wife, but I don't see us getting a babysitter for it. Would probably not see it solo or with my manly friends so this may have to wait till home viewing.

Come off it! A few beers with the boys and toodle off to a bit of Les Mis. What's up with you?

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:06 pm
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

Come off it! A few beers with the boys and toodle off to a bit of Les Mis. What's up with you?

You're right. Married life has changed me. Many fond memories of single life and being down round the pub with my mates and spontaneous renditions of "I Dreamed A Dream" breaking out during commercial breaks while watching American Football.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:38 pm
Producer

Fuck yeah!

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Second Unit Director

Colm Wilkinson will appear as Bishop Myriel in the upcoming film production of Les Misérables

that's a nice touch

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:28 pm
Cinematographer

This seems as good a place as any for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ziBJOi7cDY

Worth a watch!

Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:09 pm
Second Unit Director

Johnny Larue wrote:

Worth a watch!

very well done.

Try this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qVbV71MBqU
Really worth it.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:33 pm
Cinematographer

p604 wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

Worth a watch!

very well done.

Try this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qVbV71MBqU
Really worth it.

Yeah...looks great. I have that on my DVR at home off of PBS.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:44 pm
Director

Surprised by the lukewarm reception of this one. Perhaps it's another Nine?

Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:59 pm
Second Unit Director

Hello MC
MGamesCook wrote:
Surprised by the lukewarm reception of this one. Perhaps it's another Nine?

I have read some of the reviews.
They seem to be ok with the film.
nobody dislikes it or has found any majot fault with it.
Every one seems to be praising Ann Hathaway's performance. ( There should be an oscar nomination)

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:14 am