Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Star Wars: Episode VII. (Not speculation. And not kidding.) 
Director

Post Re: Star Wars: Episode VII. (Not speculation. And not kidding.)
Spielberg is most commonly associated with DreamWorks, which used to be associated with Paramount but is no longer.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:24 pm
Second Unit Director

Johnny Larue wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
It would be interesting to see Spielberg bring Star Wars back from the doldrums that his good friend Lucas put it into, though I'm wondering how that would affect their relationship.

Realistically, I don't think it will happen, though.

People that I would consider for the film-making decisions for the new films:

Producer - J.J. Abrams, Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Gary Kurtz, Michael Bay
Director - Joss Whedon, J.J. Abrams, Spielberg
Writers - Joss Whedon, Roberto Orci, J.J. Abrams, Gary Kurtz, Alex Kurtzman

I included Bay on the list for producers because he is capable of ensuring that enough money is spent on the visual effects, but I wouldn't let him near the director's chair or screenwriting process.

How many of these folks are associated with Disney (or subsidiaries)? I mean...isn't Spielberg usually associated with Paramount (not that they have an exclusive lock or anything).

Spielberg is more closely tied to the studio he helped found (Dreamworks SKG), but he's big enough in the industry to work for whoever he wants, I think.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:25 pm
Ken wrote:
And especially, lawd almighty, John Williams drawing up all the little black dots and standing on the conductor's podium.
In fact, one of the biggest mistakes they could make is not immediately firming up a longterm contract with Williams. If any one person has consistently been the soul of Star Wars, it's him.

Just one problem: John Williams is age 80 right now. He might not make it... There's also the huge possibility that Disney execs would want to go into an entirely new direction. Agreed: Spielberg would be a fantastic choice. His name is so big, he can do what he wants and that's good - and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want anyone else than John Williams to write the little black dots and the small circles too. It's good to have someone defending quality, not just the coolness factor. It was Spielberg who recommended Williams to Lucas for the first Star Wars. Like: "trust me". Sure enough Lucas was blown away. Williams wrote the opening chord in the same key as the 20th Century Fox logo fanfare by Alfred Newman, to make the transition smooth as if it was one and the same music cue. It doesn't stop there. The Fox fanfare in "Star Wars" has been conducted by Williams and recorded during the same session. No patchwork here. Yes: John Williams is essential to Star Wars. I can't imagine anyone else composing anything even close.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:47 pm
Second Unit Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
Ken wrote:
And especially, lawd almighty, John Williams drawing up all the little black dots and standing on the conductor's podium.
In fact, one of the biggest mistakes they could make is not immediately firming up a longterm contract with Williams. If any one person has consistently been the soul of Star Wars, it's him.

Just one problem: John Williams is age 80 right now. He might not make it... There's also the huge possibility that Disney execs would want to go into an entirely new direction. Agreed: Spielberg would be a fantastic choice. His name is so big, he can do what he wants and that's good - and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want anyone else than John Williams to write the little black dots and the small circles too. It's good to have someone defending quality, not just the coolness factor. It was Spielberg who recommended Williams to Lucas for the first Star Wars. Like: "trust me". Sure enough Lucas was blown away. Williams wrote the opening chord in the same key as the 20th Century Fox logo fanfare by Alfred Newman, to make the transition smooth as if it was one and the same music cue. It doesn't stop there. The Fox fanfare in "Star Wars" has been conducted by Williams and recorded during the same session. No patchwork here. Yes: John Williams is essential to Star Wars. I can't imagine anyone else composing anything even close.

If, IF they had to replace Williams, I would nominate Hans Zimmer or Howard Shore for the new films.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:04 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I wonder what James has to say about all this.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 pm
Gaffer

Quote:
I would nominate Hans Zimmer or Howard Shore for the new films

Howard Shore would be an interesting choice, but I find Zimmer's music to be much too generic and one dimensional for Star Wars.

And for the person who was hoping for the original cuts on the trilogy, don't hold your breath. I'm sure Lucas will still have plenty of influence around the office, and I doubt either Kennedy or Disney will go against his wishes on it. Hell, he probably had a clause written into the buyout deal that prohibits it until the end of time.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:10 pm
Second Unit Director

MinnJD wrote:
And for the person who was hoping for the original cuts on the trilogy, don't hold your breath. I'm sure Lucas will still have plenty of influence around the office, and I doubt either Kennedy or Disney will go against his wishes on it. Hell, he probably had a clause written into the buyout deal that prohibits it until the end of time.

There are also the rumors that Lucas has actually destroyed the masters of the original unedited films, which I hope are false.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:17 pm
Director

I hope a director who doesnt' have an ego, or a fanbase, does this. So, not Abrams or Whedon or Bay.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:45 pm
Producer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
MinnJD wrote:

There are also the rumors that Lucas has actually destroyed the masters of the original unedited films, which I hope are false.

Somehow I strongly doubt those rumors are true.

Anyways if Williams can't make it, then Shore and Zimmer are both good choices, though I also think James Horner would be a pretty good replacement.

Quote:
I hope a director who doesnt' have an ego, or a fanbase, does this. So, not Abrams or Whedon or Bay.

So you want someone like say Len Wiseman then?

I doubt Bay will want to direct a Star Wars film, since he'll most likely be directing Bad Boys 3 by that time. Whedon or Abrams both work, Nicholas Meyer would also be a good choice.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:53 pm
Second Unit Director

I'd like to see Edgar Wright, Joe Cornish, maybe even Rian Johnson take a crack at the franchise. It could use some fresh blood.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:11 am
Second Unit Director

Does Disney now have control of Indiana Jones too?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:23 am
Director

You think people would have been on message boards in 1979 begging for Irving Kershner? Maybe, just maybe, we can be surprised by a director we might not expect.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:24 am
Second Unit Director

Call me sentimental, but this is bad news to me. Star Wars has been an important part of my life, and whether Lucas messed up the prequels or not (he didn't IMO) it's still his story, his creation. 4 billion is an impossible sum of money to turn down, so screw Disney for that. I just can't believe he gave it up, haters or not..he can be proud of what he's created.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:17 am
Director

There's nothing wrong with passing the torch. When Gene Roddenberry let Star Trek leave the nest, we got Wrath of Khan. This might be the best thing for it.

And if not? The old movies are still sitting there on the shelf, same as always.

They're not the best copies, but then again, Disney does have the best restoration experts and curators...

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:35 am
Second Unit Director

Then sentimental it is.

I'm not saying Disney won't make an enjoyable movie, they're more than capable. It just doesn't sit well with me that Lucas doesn't own his baby, you know?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:19 am
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
You think people would have been on message boards in 1979 begging for Irving Kershner? Maybe, just maybe, we can be surprised by a director we might not expect.

As I've mentioned elsewhere on these boards, both Kershner and Marquand largely served as figureheads to Lucas, i.e. "Empire" and "Jedi" were made more in the vein of TV shows, where the producer has ultimate creative control (because Lucas didn't want to go through the same rocky experience with the Fox studio heads as he did when making "Hope").

And I remain skeptical about Disney taking over the franchise, since, output-wise, they haven't had the best track record since Walt's passing. Sure, they had a brief renaissance in the late-'80s/early-'90s, but let's face it -- if it weren't for Pixar over the last decade, they'd likely be in the shitter by now (or fairly close to it). :|

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:09 am
Cinematographer

I'm glad to see that more will be made. I like all of the Lucas versions, but if he already determined he's not going to make any more, then I'm glad others will get a shot at it. I never did move beyond the original Star Trek crew. I don't think I'll have the same problem with Star Wars since I didn't grow up with it.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:16 am
Second Unit Director

Gedmud wrote:
Call me sentimental, but this is bad news to me. Star Wars has been an important part of my life, and whether Lucas messed up the prequels or not (he didn't IMO) it's still his story, his creation. 4 billion is an impossible sum of money to turn down, so screw Disney for that. I just can't believe he gave it up, haters or not..he can be proud of what he's created.

I'm guessing that you grew up with the Prequel Trilogy rather than the Original Trilogy. If that is the case, then I am seriously sympathetic, because you had to grow up with films of a lower quality and were basically compelled to settle for less. This is why I referred in an earlier post to the possibility that the next generation of movie-goers can get SW films that are good ones to look back on when they get older.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:00 pm
Producer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Gedmud wrote:

I'm guessing that you grew up with the Prequel Trilogy rather than the Original Trilogy. If that is the case, then I am seriously sympathetic, because you had to grow up with films of a lower quality and were basically compelled to settle for less. This is why I referred in an earlier post to the possibility that the next generation of movie-goers can get SW films that are good ones to look back on when they get older.

Whether the prequels are "lower quality" is a matter of opinion and not everyone feels the same way you do, personally i'll watch the prequels over Return Of The Jedi any day.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:35 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Whether the prequels are "lower quality" is a matter of opinion and not everyone feels the same way you do, personally i'll watch the prequels over Return Of The Jedi any day.

Yes, it's a matter of opinion as you said. However, I feel that opinions can be influenced by various factors, and watching the films as an impressionable young child is one of them. Years later, assuming that we do mature and gain more experience/knowledge, I fully expect that the tastes of most people would change, but those early years can still have an impact.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:32 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next