Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:07 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Star Wars: Episode VII. (Not speculation. And not kidding.) 
Auteur

Post Re: Star Wars: Episode VII. (Not speculation. And not kidding.)
I wouldn't having Snyder tackle a Star Wars film, Taratino is definitely not someone i'd pick, I just can't envision him directing sci-fi.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:08 am
Producer

I'd trust Tarantino to direct just about any genre, but his style just isn't transparent enough to work within somebody else's franchise. If that makes any sense.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it would be a Quentin Tarantino movie set in the Star Wars universe, not a Star Wars movie.

If that makes any sense.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:30 am
Ken wrote:
I'd trust Tarantino to direct just about any genre, but his style just isn't transparent enough to work within somebody else's franchise. If that makes any sense.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it would be a Quentin Tarantino movie set in the Star Wars universe, not a Star Wars movie.

If that makes any sense.

Not sure how Tarantino would be as a "hired gun". The only thing I know is virtually anything I have ever seen done by him (I missed just a few) is about cool, stylish, retro, badass, sex and gratuitious violence. Everything he does seems to be hyperbole to some degree and never to be taken literally. The "Star Wars" universe is melodramatic and takes itself very seriously with only so much humor and cynicism in it. I can almost hear Tarantino saying: "Ah c'mon I can't tell any actor to say these lines and keep a straight face! And where the hell is Darth Vader when you need him?"

P.S. Just read in the Yahoo-news that it is "official": Spielberg will not ever direct any Star Wars movies. He says: this is not my genre.

Well I think is IS his genre. Spielberg thinks big, very big and he is excellent at human drama.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:03 pm
Producer

Someone mentioned Edgar Wright previously. If they plan on showing a bit of genre-awareness that could be a good choice. Ditto Brad Bird

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:22 pm
Auteur

Bryan Singer would also be a good choice.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:29 pm
Producer

Threeperf35 wrote:
Just one problem: John Williams is age 80 right now. He might not make it... There's also the huge possibility that Disney execs would want to go into an entirely new direction. Agreed: Spielberg would be a fantastic choice. His name is so big, he can do what he wants and that's good - and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want anyone else than John Williams to write the little black dots and the small circles too. It's good to have someone defending quality, not just the coolness factor. It was Spielberg who recommended Williams to Lucas for the first Star Wars. Like: "trust me". Sure enough Lucas was blown away. Williams wrote the opening chord in the same key as the 20th Century Fox logo fanfare by Alfred Newman, to make the transition smooth as if it was one and the same music cue. It doesn't stop there. The Fox fanfare in "Star Wars" has been conducted by Williams and recorded during the same session. No patchwork here. Yes: John Williams is essential to Star Wars. I can't imagine anyone else composing anything even close.

I was thinking about this post earlier and it bothered me enough that I checked his Wikipedia page as soon as I got home, just to make sure he was okay. Damn you, sir. I can see this becoming a neurosis.

John Williams update: still alive. It is no exaggeration to say that it is going to be one of the shittiest days in movie history when this is no longer the case.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:39 am
Ken wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
Just one problem: John Williams is age 80 right now. He might not make it... There's also the huge possibility that Disney execs would want to go into an entirely new direction. Agreed: Spielberg would be a fantastic choice. His name is so big, he can do what he wants and that's good - and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want anyone else than John Williams to write the little black dots and the small circles too. It's good to have someone defending quality, not just the coolness factor. It was Spielberg who recommended Williams to Lucas for the first Star Wars. Like: "trust me". Sure enough Lucas was blown away. Williams wrote the opening chord in the same key as the 20th Century Fox logo fanfare by Alfred Newman, to make the transition smooth as if it was one and the same music cue. It doesn't stop there. The Fox fanfare in "Star Wars" has been conducted by Williams and recorded during the same session. No patchwork here. Yes: John Williams is essential to Star Wars. I can't imagine anyone else composing anything even close.

I was thinking about this post earlier and it bothered me enough that I checked his Wikipedia page as soon as I got home, just to make sure he was okay. Damn you, sir. I can see this becoming a neurosis.

John Williams update: still alive. It is no exaggeration to say that it is going to be one of the shittiest days in movie history when this is no longer the case.

Well I am going to reply with one of the corniest prases ever: John Williams is the very best. Period. Full stop. I mean, how can anyone top this, f****ng Christ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nk_WHHTQtY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV0fp9ewi6w

And these are not even my fav themes of John Williams. I am biased, but calling him one of the greatest film composer ever is an understatement. In my humble opinion that is.
I know this sounds so corny: but listenig to his music makes me so happy I'm alive.
Ennio Morricone is another awesome film composer. But he never managed to get past "themes". John Williams dovetasils everything into each other and he knows all the math. But in the end all that math is just a means to an end. Anything he does just blows me away.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:05 am
Cinematographer

Best take on the Disney/Lucasfilm deal yet, IMO, courtesy of John Cheese at Cracked.com:

The truth is that the franchise was buttfucked by George Lucas until his balls slapped its corpse into a fine powder, and then he snorted it in front of its own children. How much worse can they make it? Really?

The mere idea that, after Lucas drained every last drop of blood from every capillary of the series, another company stepped in, slapped his hand like a frustrated mother and said, "Just ... just give me the damn thing, you're done here. Jesus Christ, do we have to do everything ourselves?".

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:57 pm
Second Unit Director

Well I suppose that's one rather crass way of looking at things...

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:28 pm
Cinematographer

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
Well I suppose that's one rather crass way of looking at things...

It's harsh but fair (and humorous, which was the point).

I just heard that Lawrence Kasdan has been confirmed to be one of the writers for the new films. This is the kind of continuity I can get behind, as he and Leigh Brackett helped Lucas with the stories for Episodes IV and V (ESB). It's nice to see that Disney aren't out to completely revamp the franchise with the upcoming episodes, but we'll see, of course.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:47 pm
Producer

Call me an ass (and many do), but I f*cking loath the piece of film revisionism that re-orders Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back to Episodes IV and V.

History rewritten for the sake of the f*cking Phantom Menace, at al.

I don't know how much of this is consistent with the Star Wars Universe, but I never recalled Star Wars being called "Episode IV" before PM was vomitted into the public's lap.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:50 am
Producer

The first movie was retitled Episode IV for its 1981 theatrical re-release. One might assume that this is when they cooked up the long-term plan for a series of at least six movies, but I suspect it was originally just a bit of whimsy, creating the sense that episodes "IV, V, and VI" were just one story out of a whole universe of stories.

Anyway, that's the first ever change made to these movies: the replacement of the original opening crawl in the first one. Ostensibly, this was to clean it up and make it look more consistent with the crawl at the beginning of Empire, but it also enabled the addition of "Episode IV: A New Hope" at the beginning, whereas it previously just said "Star Wars".

I do agree, though. Anyone who refers to the originals by their episode numbers--or anyone who refers to the first movie as "A New Hope" instead of just "Star Wars", for that matter--is a straight-up sucka. I tend to avoid using episode numberings altogether, myself. Marketing materials played up the "Episode I" thing to emphasize that The Phantom Menace was the prequel or the beginning or whatever, so you're probably right that people mostly ignored the numberings until then. The movies should by all rights just be referred to by their actual titles.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:41 am
Director

Well, Lucas has always maintained that it was his intention to put the 'Episode IV: A New Hope' moniker on the title crawl of he original '77 movie, but Fox balked at the idea because they felt people would be confused by it. I, for one, refuse to call it "Star Wars" anymore, because by that logic, its full title would be "Star Wars: Episode IV - Star Wars." :| I usually only refer to the movies in one-word shorthand anyway: "Menace," "Clones," "Sith," "Hope," "Empire," and "Jedi." Also, it's now "INDIANA JONES AND THE Raiders of the Lost Ark." :P

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:16 am
Producer

Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith

All the titles under which they were originally released. I guess people could make a case for "Episode I", but why would they?

As for Raiders of the Lost Ark, at least they didn't alter the title within the movie itself; just on the box art.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:43 am
Producer

Ken wrote:
The first movie was retitled Episode IV for its 1981 theatrical re-release. One might assume that this is when they cooked up the long-term plan for a series of at least six movies, but I suspect it was originally just a bit of whimsy, creating the sense that episodes "IV, V, and VI" were just one story out of a whole universe of stories.

Anyway, that's the first ever change made to these movies: the replacement of the original opening crawl in the first one. Ostensibly, this was to clean it up and make it look more consistent with the crawl at the beginning of Empire, but it also enabled the addition of "Episode IV: A New Hope" at the beginning, whereas it previously just said "Star Wars".

I do agree, though. Anyone who refers to the originals by their episode numbers--or anyone who refers to the first movie as "A New Hope" instead of just "Star Wars", for that matter--is a straight-up sucka. I tend to avoid using episode numberings altogether, myself. Marketing materials played up the "Episode I" thing to emphasize that The Phantom Menace was the prequel or the beginning or whatever, so you're probably right that people mostly ignored the numberings until then. The movies should by all rights just be referred to by their actual titles.

I had genuinly never heard the term "Episode IV" (referring to Star Wars) before 99's Phantom Menace. Because I didn't like the prequels, the re-order of the episodes never got through my bullshit filter.

Had the prequels blown me away I might have accepted it. But failing that, it comes across as merely cynical.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:55 am
Well I am not exactly sure when I read it, but it was an article in a "tv-guide" style mag/paper including what's new in cinemas. It must have been about when "Empire" came out - and it clearly mentioned that George Lucas had a nine-chapter space opera epic in mind, and he decided to make the "middle-three" first. If memory serves that article can't have been written later than 1981.
I personally think this was just a sketchy idea, since the original "Star Wars" has no pre-history in it, it starts right in the middle of a conflict - but still: Lucas actuallty made the three prequels - and now this. George Lucas: the "prophet"......

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:09 pm
Cinematographer

Threeperf35 wrote:
I personally think this was just a sketchy idea, since the original "Star Wars" has no pre-history in it, it starts right in the middle of a conflict

Confused by this. There is mention of the clone wars, Luke's kick-ass fighter pilot dad, and General Kenobi serving Leia's father and all of that. No mention of trade federations or Naboo or anything, but everything has pre-history somewhere.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:19 pm
Johnny Larue wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
I personally think this was just a sketchy idea, since the original "Star Wars" has no pre-history in it, it starts right in the middle of a conflict

Confused by this. There is mention of the clone wars, Luke's kick-ass fighter pilot dad, and General Kenobi serving Leia's father and all of that. No mention of trade federations or Naboo or anything, but everything has pre-history somewhere.

Exactly: it is mentioned in exposititory dialog, but not shown. There is "embryonic state" back story everywhere in the original "Star Wars", a lot of it from Obi Wan. It works well as a self contained movie, but I guess Lucas somewhere after success of the the original toyed with the idea to elaborate the back story (which he did eventually). I say that because I have seen all of the DVD extras of the early 2000s original trilogy edition (as re-mastered and enhanced in the late '90s) - and the genesis of the original "Star Wars" was a lot of trial and error - as oppoed to carefully planned and carried through.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:50 pm
Producer

Fair though chaps. I plead ignorance....again.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:22 pm
NotHughGrant wrote:
Fair though chaps. I plead ignorance....again.

Nope, not ignorance at all. I watched George Lucas talking recently (YouTube vids). He says he just wanted to get the three movies made and didn't intend to make movies about the backstories. Only in the 90s when technology was available did he re-think it. So this is the "official" version at the moment. I remember clearly before (!) watching "the Revenge/Return of the Jedi" way back in 1983 that this will conclude the stories of Luke, Leia, Han and Darth Vader - in the context of 9 movies of which the "middle three" are made. Now we know that plans have changed meanwhile for the "last three" movies.
Another hint that Lucas had 9 movies in mind long before he states (I am not saying he doesn't tell the truth, but he might try to "embellish" his success story by making his plans during the late 70s look a little less ambitions I guess) is the fact that I read the following when "The Phantom Menace" came out: Lucas had to wait (!!!) that long to make the first three movies until the technology was available. I even read that the storm troopers from the original "Star Wars" were intended to be robots (just like the copy/paste style CGI creatures in "The Phantom Menace". At the time the only option was extras in costumes (which neatly explaines why the white armour seems to be nonsensical since the stormtroopers can very easily be shot down with any handgun (by Luke, Leia and Han especially) - they weren't inteded to be soldiers in armor, but robots. Yes I know - the "official version" is that they are elite soldiers, but it makes no sense since they are "Hollywood style" lousy shots in cumbersome and useless armour. I am convinced that the original idea was for them to be robots - making up in number for their weaknesses. This might have been changed still during shooting of the original "Star Wars" because it is way too obvious that these are male extras in costumes.

I am just telling what I read in the press at the time. If anyone has information from more reliable sources, I am the first to say: I was wrong.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:08 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next