Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Films where a character's sexual persuasion is ambiguous. 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Films where a character's sexual persuasion is ambiguous.
Matt Damon's character in The Departed: He seems very interested in women, he's checking them out at work, is confident when wooing Vera Farmiga, but cannot perform. She says that it's natural and given the stress he'd be under leading a double life it all seems to add up. There's a scene though when he's at the golf range with Alex Baldwin that plays strange, in the way Damon's character responds. He says something when referring to his libido, "Oh, its working overtime". It's really awkward delivery and left me thinking Scorsese did this on purpose, to leave his sexual orientation open for interpretation.

Robert De Niro's character in The Deer Hunter: His character is so complex I change my opinion on his sexual preference with every viewing. Obviously when he returns from Vietnam he's suffering from post (whatever it is), but in the 80 minutes before the war, his actions are equally odd. It's hard to tell if he's more in love with Christopher Walken or Meryl Streep, and if the love is based on sexual impulses or loyalty? When he doesn’t sleep with Streep in the motel room after the war it's hardly a surprise, his motive towards her from the outset are convoluted.

Any films where you consider sexual orientation open for interpretation?

Last edited by wisey on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:34 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Films where a character's sexual persusion is ambiguous.
As someone who studies films looking for queer subtexts, I'm probably the wrong person to answer but here are some that come to mind right away:

Lust Caution
Between two of the female leads, there's some stuff with smoking a cigarette that's referred to being like your first time and some longing glances between the two.
Citizen Kane
Leland keeps asking the reporter for a cigar so insistenatly that I'm not entirely convinced what he means the kind you smoke on. Plus cigarettes were Hays Code Era "code" for having sex.
Lord of the Rings
The last scene on Mount Doom is basically is that of two male lovers facing the end together, until Sam starts blabbering on about Rosie.
Hot Fuzz
There's a lot of comedic mileage here playing off of homoerotic subtexts found in buddy action flicks.
The Outlaw
Some people have watched this and claimed there is no queer subtext. They were obviously distracted by the boobage. Because the priorities of the two male characters is fairly clearly established as follows: Each other > The Horse Strawberry > The woman that nurses one of them back to life. That's right, the woman that risks her life to protect one of the guys comes in last. Also, they're always touching each other so they can exchange cigarettes.
Some Like It Hot
I realize its a minor character, but the last line can be interpreted in a variety of ways.
-Jeremy

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Post Re: Films where a character's sexual persusion is ambiguous.
When I saw Citizen Kane recently, it occurred to me that Leland might be gay, but it was nothing to do with the cigars. It was just something about his mannerisms in his scenes with Kane.

Anyway, my suggestion is Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Hell, Star Trek: The Original Series (and the movies) in general, but The Motion Picture in particular. Nimoy's "this simple feeling" line is responsible for launching countless Kirk/Spock ships.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:03 pm
Gaffer

Post Re: Films where a character's sexual persuasion is ambiguous.
Ben-Hur (1959)

Messala clearly harbours feelings for good old Judah Ben-Hur. Feelings that are so intense that he has to sell Judah into slavery just so he can stop thinking about him. *Sighs* Things would have been so much simpler if Charlton Heston swung both ways.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
Ben-Hur (1959)

Messala clearly harbours feelings for good old Judah Ben-Hur. Feelings that are so intense that he has to sell Judah into slavery just so he can stop thinking about him. *Sighs* Things would have been so much simpler if Charlton Heston swung both ways.

Nice to read from you again Ed, thought you'd left the nest.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:12 am
Cheyenne in Once Upon a time in the West. He more than admires Harmonica and doesn't care about Jill, he talks tough and even once grabs her butt, but it's just to explain that she should not have a problem if the rail workers outside do that. All he does near the end is talk to her about how awesome Harmonica is, who himself also doesn't care about Jill BTW. Frank on the other hand, has no problem jumping into the sack with her. Cheyenne and Harmonica seem completely indifferent to women.

Joe Buck in Midnight Cowboy. He is unsuccessful as a male prostitute in New York. Perhaps because his "macho cowboy" act is unconvincing (besides being ridiculous). He has flashbacks which are open to interpretation. Later he agrees to providing sexual "services" to men, even if reluctantly and just to collect money for his friend Enrico "Ratso". It is left open to interpretation if this is just frienship or if Joe really loves Enrico.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:42 am
Critic

I'll go with Ben Foster's terrific Charlie Prince in the 2007 3:10 to Yuma. His loyalty to Russell Crowe seems to be more than just buddy-buddy camaraderie.

And then this might be obvious, but how about Al Pacino in Cruising? Is he nailing his wife so hard in the middle to show the audience that he's all man, or because he's trying to fuck the gay right out of him?

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:40 am
Second Unit Director

I would present the young gangster played by Paul Bettany in Gangster No.1, as he seems to have a very strong devotion to Freddie Mays (David Thewlis). When Freddie gets together with Karen (Saffron Burrows), the young gangster seems to be overcome by murderous jealousy.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:39 pm
Director

Would the Jesse character from A Nightmare on Elm Street part 2 count? :lol:

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:04 am
Second Unit Director

wisey wrote:
Matt Damon's character in The Departed: He seems very interested in women, he's checking them out at work, is confident when wooing Vera Farmiga, but cannot perform. She says that it's natural and given the stress he'd be under leading a double life it all seems to add up. There's a scene though when he's at the golf range with Alex Baldwin that plays strange, in the way Damon's character responds. He says something when referring to his libido, "Oh, its working overtime". It's really awkward delivery and left me thinking Scorsese did this on purpose, to leave his sexual orientation open for interpretation.

Not to mention his overexcessive use of the term "faggot" and "homo." I didn't catch any of it the first time I watched the movie, but after the idea was placed in my mind there was no denying it. I was a little bummed I didn't catch it the first time though.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:06 pm
Producer

That's a very interesting thought. I just figured he'd been hanging around Marky Mark for too long.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:30 pm
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Would the Jesse character from A Nightmare on Elm Street part 2 count? :lol:

Given the fact that he ends up in a gay leather bar, no, it's not terribly ambiguous that he is in fact gay.

Thanks for bringing it up though, that reminds me that I should write a review of that for my blog.
-Jeremy

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

City Lights has one of the strongest non explicit texts I've seen in a long time. The tramp and the Millionare kiss, hug, hold hands, end up in bed together, and grope each other constantly. Plus, while the Millionaires behaviour is explained via a throwaway line that his wife his divorcing him, at times his suicidal tendencies, plus his inability to recognize the tramp during the day, can also be seen as signs of self loathing and internalized homophobia. There is also a scene where the tramp flirts so obviously with a boxer, that the boxer goes behind a curtain to change.
-Jeremy

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:27 am
Profile WWW
Gaffer

James Bond

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:49 pm
Critic

thered47 wrote:
City Lights has one of the strongest non explicit texts I've seen in a long time. The tramp and the Millionare kiss, hug, hold hands, end up in bed together, and grope each other constantly. Plus, while the Millionaires behaviour is explained via a throwaway line that his wife his divorcing him, at times his suicidal tendencies, plus his inability to recognize the tramp during the day, can also be seen as signs of self loathing and internalized homophobia. There is also a scene where the tramp flirts so obviously with a boxer, that the boxer goes behind a curtain to change.
-Jeremy

That's a very interesting read. I didn't think about that at all but I wonder now if it's intentional.

Frogster wrote:
James Bond

Well come on, he went to an English public school, right?

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:44 pm
Second Unit Director

Frogster wrote:
James Bond

Unless you're theorizing that all the women he banged were males in drag, this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, at all.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:50 pm
Critic

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Frogster wrote:
James Bond

Unless you're theorizing that all the women he banged were males in drag, this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, at all.

Well did you see Skyfall?

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:10 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Frogster wrote:
James Bond

Well did you see Skyfall?

The last time I checked, exchanging banter with a gay villain doesn't quite guarantee ambiguity of a character's sexual persuasion. This is especially true when the scenes before included said character clearly engaging in sexual intercourse with a member of the opposite sex. James Bond is one of the most masculine heterosexual characters ever created without doubt. In fact, read Goldfinger by Ian Fleming, where Bond had the following thought about homosexuals:

"...a herd of unhappy sexual misfits – barren and full of frustrations, the women wanting to dominate and the men to be nannied...he was sorry for them, but he had no time for them."

Any ambiguity about Bond's sexuality lies strictly within the mind of any person who thinks as much, IMO.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:11 pm
Second Unit Director

Having not seen that many Bond films, I probably shouldn't comment, but those small numbers that I have all indicate he's one 100% hetero. There is no subtext that I noticed. Bond can be sophisticated but he's otherwise set up to be the exact opposite of the mustache twirling, effeminate, (and sometimes openly gay) villains. Diamonds are Forever is among the most homophobic films I've seen. It's not as bad as say Cruising, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2, or Midnight Cowboy, but it comes close.
-Jeremy

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Ragnarok73 wrote:

Any ambiguity about Bond's sexuality lies strictly within the mind of any person who thinks as much, IMO.

I agree with you, in actuality. I just want to imagine Bond engaging in frottage at Eton

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:51 pm