Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:52 pm

2013 Oscar Buzz 
Assistant Director

Post Re: 2013 Oscar Buzz
awards tour 2013

As the awards season heats up, Rotten Tomatoes is going to keep track of the total amount of awards each movie has won so far. :-)

Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:27 am
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
Sony's "Skyfall" crashed the kudos season Wednesday, becoming the first Bondpic to garner a nod from the Producers Guild of America, whose 10 nominees included an otherwise unsurprising mix of studio and specialty titles including Warner Bros.' "Argo"; DreamWorks' "Lincoln"; Focus' "Moonrise Kingdom"; Universal's "Les Miserables"; the Weinstein Co.'s "Django Unchained" and "Silver Linings Playbook"; Fox's "Life of Pi" and Fox Searchlight's "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; and "Zero Dark Thirty," also from Sony.

The PGA, which announced the noms for its Darryl F. Zanuck award Wednesday, will reveal the winner Jan. 26 at its awards gala at the Beverly Hilton. The guild decided in July 2011 to stick to 10 nominees for its top feature award rather than follow the revised voting procedures of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences.

Of the 10 nominees, "Skyfall" is by far the biggest box office grosser, with more than $1 billion worldwide. It's also the first notable overall nomination for the Sam Mendes-directed pic, which so far has picked up bids from the Screen Actors Guild (Javier Bardem for supporting actor), the Golden Globes (original song) and the Broadcast Film Critics Assn. (several categories), among others.

The PGA award has become a strong indicator of Oscar sentiment in recent years, matching the Oscar for best picture in 16 of the last 23 -- including the last five, with "The Artist," "The King's Speech," "The Hurt Locker," "Slumdog Millionaire" and "No Country for Old Men." The PGA winner last diverged from the Oscar best picture for the 2006 award when "Little Miss Sunshine" won while the Academy opted for "The Departed."

The match between the PGA's nominations and the Oscar best picture noms is generally about 80%. Last year, seven films were nominated for both; "Bridesmaids," "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and "Ides of March" scored only PGA mentions, while "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" and "Tree of Life" received Academy noms but were spurned by the PGA.

Notable omissions from the PGA nominations included "Amour," "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel," "The Dark Knight Rises," "The Master" and "Rust and Bone."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118064121/

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:04 pm
Director

Tough break for Ann Dowd

'Magnolia Pictures wouldn't pay for screeners, so the character actress spent $13,000 for her own; Oscar winner Melissa Leo tells THR she should be reimbursed'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/a ... car-404974

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:40 pm
Director

Quote:
Ben Affleck, Kathryn Bigelow, Tom Hooper, Ang Lee, and Steven Spielberg have been nominated for feature film honors at the DGA Awards. All except Affleck are past nominees and winners of the DGA prize.

Affleck ("Argo"), Bigelow ("Zero Dark Thirty"), Hooper ("Les Miserables"), Lee ("Life of Pi"), and Spielberg ("Lincoln") have good reason to be optimistic about their chances for Oscar nominations Thursday -- even if they can't be quite assured.

In the past five years, 21 of the 25 DGA nominees have gone on to receive Oscar nominations, thanks to the large overlap between DGA and Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences membership. The only exceptions have been Sean Penn (2007's "Into the Wild"), Christopher Nolan (2008's "The Dark Knight" and 2010's "Inception") and David Fincher (2011's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo").

At the same time, only twice in the past decade have all five DGA nominees gone on to Academy Award noms: 2005 and 2009.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118064334/

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:47 pm
Cinematographer

I think there's a really good chance those 5 will be the Best Director nominees. The 4 differences in DGA and Academy nominations in the past 5 years have been for movies that aren't necessarily very Oscar-friendly. None of the 5 nominated this year are exactly controversial or risque, so it seems like a pretty safe bet.

Affleck, Spielberg, Hooper, and Bigelow are locks. Lee is the only one I could even fathom not getting an Academy nomination, but I think he's pretty close to a lock, as well.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:07 pm
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
I think there's a really good chance those 5 will be the Best Director nominees. The 4 differences in DGA and Academy nominations in the past 5 years have been for movies that aren't necessarily very Oscar-friendly. None of the 5 nominated this year are exactly controversial or risque, so it seems like a pretty safe bet.

Affleck, Spielberg, Hooper, and Bigelow are locks. Lee is the only one I could even fathom not getting an Academy nomination, but I think he's pretty close to a lock, as well.

Yeah, Lee's the weak one here. I haven't seen Life of Pi yet, but I've gotten the impression that it's fading. The Academy has a tendency to go down the "auteur" route (e.g. Malick last year, Lynch for Mulholland Drive, Schnabel for The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Leigh for Vera Drake), but, you know, sometimes they don't.

My guess is that if anyone breaks in, it's Haneke or Anderson. You could make an argument for O'Russell and Tarantino, but they don't seem to fit the mold of the "fifth director" nomination, not that that's how they do things. This is the Oscars, people. Stats only help you so much.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:37 pm
Cinematographer

Pedro wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Yeah, Lee's the weak one here. I haven't seen Life of Pi yet, but I've gotten the impression that it's fading. The Academy has a tendency to go down the "auteur" route (e.g. Malick last year, Lynch for Mulholland Drive, Schnabel for The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Leigh for Vera Drake), but, you know, sometimes they don't.

My guess is that if anyone breaks in, it's Haneke or Anderson. You could make an argument for O'Russell and Tarantino, but they don't seem to fit the mold of the "fifth director" nomination, not that that's how they do things. This is the Oscars, people. Stats only help you so much.

I'd start hugging random people on the street if Haneke got a Best Director nomination. When they greeted me with confusion or hostility, I'd simply say, "Haneke, motherfucker!"

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:43 pm
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
I'd start hugging random people on the street if Haneke got a Best Director nomination. When they greeted me with confusion or hostility, I'd simply say, "Haneke, motherfucker!"

If I had any money, I'd use it to pay off Oscar voters to assure this to happen.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 pm
Second Unit Director

Have some BAFTA noms!

BEST FILM
ARGO - Grant Heslov, Ben Affleck, George Clooney
LES MISÉRABLES - Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward, Cameron Mackintosh
LIFE OF PI - Gil Netter, Ang Lee, David Womark
LINCOLN - Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy
ZERO DARK THIRTY - Mark Boal, Kathryn Bigelow, Megan Ellison

DIRECTOR
AMOUR - Michael Haneke
ARGO - Ben Affleck
DJANGO UNCHAINED - Quentin Tarantino
LIFE OF PI - Ang Lee
ZERO DARK THIRTY - Kathryn Bigelow

DOCUMENTARY
THE IMPOSTER - Bart Layton, Dimitri Doganis
MARLEY - Kevin Macdonald, Steve Bing, Charles Steel
McCULLIN - David Morris, Jacqui Morris
SEARCHING FOR SUGAR MAN - Malik Bendjelloul, Simon Chinn
WEST OF MEMPHIS - Amy Berg

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
AMOUR - Michael Haneke
DJANGO UNCHAINED - Quentin Tarantino
THE MASTER - Paul Thomas Anderson
MOONRISE KINGDOM - Wes Anderson, Roman Coppola
ZERO DARK THIRTY - Mark Boal

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
ARGO - Chris Terrio
BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD - Lucy Alibar, Benh Zeitlin
LIFE OF PI - David Magee
LINCOLN - Tony Kushner
SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK - David O. Russell

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
AMOUR - Michael Haneke, Margaret Ménégoz
HEADHUNTERS - Morten Tyldum, Marianne Gray, Asle Vatn
THE HUNT - Thomas Vinterberg, Sisse Graum Jørgensen, Morten Kaufmann
RUST AND BONE - Jacques Audiard, Pascal Caucheteux
UNTOUCHABLE - Eric Toledano, Olivier Nakache, Nicolas Duval Adassovsky, Yann Zenou, Laurent Zeitoun

ANIMATED FILM
BRAVE - Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman
FRANKENWEENIE - Tim Burton
PARANORMAN - Sam Fell, Chris Butler

LEADING ACTOR
BEN AFFLECK - Argo
BRADLEY COOPER - Silver Linings Playbook
DANIEL DAY-LEWIS - Lincoln
HUGH JACKMAN - Les Misérables
JOAQUIN PHOENIX - The Master

LEADING ACTRESS
EMMANUELLE RIVA - Amour
HELEN MIRREN - Hitchcock
JENNIFER LAWRENCE - Silver Linings Playbook
JESSICA CHASTAIN - Zero Dark Thirty
MARION COTILLARD - Rust and Bone

SUPPORTING ACTOR
ALAN ARKIN - Argo
CHRISTOPH WALTZ - Django Unchained
JAVIER BARDEM - Skyfall
PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN - The Master
TOMMY LEE JONES - Lincoln

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
AMY ADAMS - The Master
ANNE HATHAWAY - Les Misérables
HELEN HUNT - The Sessions
JUDI DENCH - Skyfall
SALLY FIELD - Lincoln

ORIGINAL MUSIC
ANNA KARENINA - Dario Marianelli
ARGO - Alexandre Desplat
LIFE OF PI - Mychael Danna
LINCOLN - John Williams
SKYFALL - Thomas Newman

CINEMATOGRAPHY
ANNA KARENINA - Seamus McGarvey
LES MISÉRABLES - Danny Cohen
LIFE OF PI - Claudio Miranda
LINCOLN - Janusz Kaminski
SKYFALL - Roger Deakins

EDITING
ARGO - William Goldenberg
DJANGO UNCHAINED - Fred Raskin
LIFE OF PI - Tim Squyres
SKYFALL - Stuart Baird
ZERO DARK THIRTY - Dylan Tichenor, William Goldenberg

PRODUCTION DESIGN
ANNA KARENINA - Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer
LES MISÉRABLES - Eve Stewart, Anna Lynch-Robinson
LIFE OF PI - David Gropman, Anna Pinnock
LINCOLN - Rick Carter, Jim Erickson
SKYFALL - Dennis Gassner, Anna Pinnock

COSTUME DESIGN
ANNA KARENINA - Jacqueline Durran
GREAT EXPECTATIONS - Beatrix Aruna Pasztor
LES MISÉRABLES - Paco Delgado
LINCOLN - Joanna Johnston
SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN - Colleen Atwood

SOUND
DJANGO UNCHAINED - Mark Ulano, Michael Minkler, Tony Lamberti, Wylie Stateman
THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY - Tony Johnson, Christopher Boyes, Michael Hedges, Michael Semanick, Brent Burge, Chris Ward
LES MISÉRABLES - Simon Hayes, Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson, Jonathan Allen, Lee Walpole, John Warhurst
LIFE OF PI - Drew Kunin, Eugene Gearty, Philip Stockton, Ron Bartlett, D. M. Hemphill
SKYFALL - Stuart Wilson, Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell, Per Hallberg, Karen Baker Landers

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES - Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Peter Bebb, Andrew Lockley
THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY - Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton, R. Christopher White
LIFE OF PI - Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer
MARVEL AVENGERS ASSEMBLE - Nominees TBC
PROMETHEUS - Richard Stammers, Charley Henley, Trevor Wood, Paul Butterworth

MAKE UP & HAIR
ANNA KARENINA - Ivana Primorac
HITCHCOCK - Julie Hewett, Martin Samuel, Howard Berger
THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY - Peter Swords King, Richard Taylor, Rick Findlater
LES MISÉRABLES - Lisa Westcott
LINCOLN - Lois Burwell, Kay Georgiou

EE RISING STAR AWARD
Elizabeth Olsen
Andrea Riseborough
Suraj Sharma
Juno Temple
Alicia Vikander

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
ANNA KARENINA - Joe Wright, Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Paul Webster, Tom Stoppard
THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL - John Madden, Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin, Ol Parker
LES MISÉRABLES - Tom Hooper, Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward, Cameron Mackintosh, William Nicholson, Alain Boublil, Claude-Michel Schönberg, Herbert Kretzmer
SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS - Martin McDonagh, Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin
SKYFALL - Sam Mendes, Michael G. Wilson, Barbara Broccoli, Neal Purvis, Robert Wade, John Logan

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER
BART LAYTON (Director), DIMITRI DOGANIS (Producer)- The Imposter
DAVID MORRIS (Director), JACQUI MORRIS (Director/Producer) - McCullin
DEXTER FLETCHER (Director/Writer), DANNY KING (Writer) - Wild Bill
JAMES BOBIN (Director) - The Muppets
TINA GHARAVI (Director/Writer) - I Am Nasrine

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:48 am