Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:39 am

2013 Oscar Buzz 
Second Unit Director

Post 2013 Oscar Buzz
Pete gave me a gentle prod, so I'll follow through on the topic. It won't be nearly as thorough as in years past because I'll be out-of-town soon, but I'll do what I can.

I'll address Argo first. I haven't seen the film, but I can tell you what it'll probably be nominated for.

ARGO
Best Picture: This is likely, especially considering the rules that have been implemented in recent years to expand the number of nominees. The Town was very close to a nomination last year, and Argo has way more momentum.
Best Director: This is likely. Ben Affleck's strength is clearly directing and it's almost like the Academy needed three good films from him to prove it.
Best Actor: This is unlikely. As always, the Best Actor competition looks very tough this year. There's no room for someone like Affleck, whose acting is solid at best and pedestrian at normal.
Best Actress: Are there women in Argo?
Best Supporting Actor: This is somewhat likely, but it's unclear to me which supporting actor will get the most attention. I guess it's Alan Arkin? No love for Bryan Cranston yet?
Best Supporting Actress: No really, are there women in Argo?
Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay): This is likely. There are less worthy adapted screenplays by the end of the year, so even if Argo's writing isn't great, it's already solid enough to score a nomination.
Best Art Direction: This is unlikely. It's art direction might be decent, but why nominate it when there are so many other things to choose from?
Best Cinematography: This is unlikely. The cinematography category always seems really crowded, and occasionally they nominate shit that deserves it like The White Ribbon. I don't think there's any room for Argo.
Best Costume Design: This is a possibility, but in the long run, probably unlikely. They're making sci-fi film, right? Costumes for a fake film can function as costumes for a real film.
Best Film Editing: This is likely. Argo has an outside chance of winning Best Picture, and as some of you know, it's awfully hard to win Best Picture these days without an editing nomination.
Best Makeup: This is unlikely.
Best Music (Original Score): This is a possibility. Desplat seems to get nominated every year because he's awesome. He's more likely to get attention here than Moonrise Kingdom, though he was nominated for Fantastic Mr. Fox.
Best Music (Original Song): I don't think there are any original songs, but if there are, you definitely can't count it out.
Best Sound Editing: This is unlikely.
Best Sound Mixing: This is more likely than sound editing, but still unlikely.
Best Visual Effects: This is unlikely.

So in a likely world....

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Supporting Actor
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Film Editing
Best Music (Original Score)

Best Costume Design maybe
Best Sound Mixing maybe

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:13 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: 2013 Oscar Buzz
Pedro is a man amongst boys on this forum. Did you see how fast he put this thread up? I just prodding him this morning. That's like 3.244 seconds in real life time!

Pedro wrote:
Best Music (Original Score): This is a possibility. Desplat seems to get nominated every year because he's awesome. He's more likely to get attention here than Moonrise Kingdom, though he was nominated for Fantastic Mr. Fox.

That's unfortunate as the score for Moonrise Kingdom is easily the best I've heard all year. I find myself randomly pulling it up on youtube and listening to it for hours on end. Maybe not hours, but definitely minutes on end. Point is, it's really fucking good.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:42 pm
Second Unit Director

Always an exciting topic. Though I'm not as well-versed as Sir Pedro, these are what I believe to be locks right now in various categories:

Picture:

Argo
Silver Linings Playbook
Les Miz
The Master

Director:

Affleck
Hooper
PTA

Lead Actor:

DDL. Come on.
Joaquin
John Hawkes

Lead Actress:

Quvenzhane Walli
Marion Cotillard
Jennifer Lawrence

Supporting Actor:

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Tommy Lee Jones

Supporting Actress:

Anne Hathaway
Helen Hunt
Jacki Weaver

Original Screenplay:

I love me some John Krasinski. So I'm abandoning even considering anything else, although I do think a nomination is his best actual hope.

Krasinski love aside, I'd bet the house on all of those. Am I crazy, Pedro?

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:10 pm
Second Unit Director

My Oscar comprehension this year is not as detailed as it could be for various reasons, so I'm less inclined to call things "locks." That's partially why I'm using the words "likely," "unlikely," and "possibility."

For example, I'm not sure at all about The Master simply because of how divisive it is. However, The Master does have a very important precedent. Let's discuss.

THE MASTER
Best Picture: This is up in the air. In a lot of ways, the Best Picture expansion was made for films like The Master. At its best, the excess nominations allow for more artistic endeavors, or perhaps more controversial ones. I think it's great that a film like The Tree of Life got nominated for Best Picture last year, and perhaps that more than anything else gives credence that The Master may garner some love. We'll see, though.
Best Director: This is more likely than Best Picture. Even if a film splits a lot of viewers, a director nomination often functions as a consolation prize. (David Lynch for Mulholland Drive, anyone?) It's still hard for me to call it a "lock," but PTA's chances are pretty decent.
Best Actor: This is likely. Even those who hate the film loved Phoenix, and for good reason! If he gets snubbed, it'd be a crime.
Best Actress: I don't think The Master has a lead actress.
Best Supporting Actor: This is likely. Hoffman's not quite as good as Phoenix, but he's still light years above most supporting performances. He should be recognized.
Best Supporting Actress: This is unlikely. Adams's performance is mostly workmanlike (workwomanlike?). That doesn't necessarily stop her from getting nominated, but even in the typically weak supporting actress category there might not be enough room for her. And it's especially weak this year....
Best Writing (Original Screenplay): This is likely. PTA's always been an excellent writer and the writer's branch has generally been good about nominating well-written films.
Best Art Direction: This is a possibility. Art direction can be hard to predict because its guild nominates a gazillion films each year, so we'll if it gets a look in the period category. If so, I'd say it has a pretty decent shot.
Best Cinematography: This is a possibility. Again, crowded category. I'm worried The Master won't be able to slip in. Strangely enough, I don't feel comfortable calling any film likely in this category.
Best Costume Design: This is a possibility. In my estimation, the only thing stopping The Master from being nominated here is the genre fare. Snow White and Dark Shadows both had pretty imaginative costumes, but will the Academy give a shit? Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Both came out earlier in the year, but the technical branches have a longer memory than the others.
Best Film Editing: This is unlikely. I'd argue that if people don't like the film, editing has a lot to do with it. It meanders with purpose and not everyone likes that. I don't think anyone feels like The Master will win Best Picture, but if they did, I'd point to this category as a challenge for it.
Best Makeup: This is unlikely.
Best Music (Original Score): This is unlikely. I just don't see Jonny Greenwood being an Oscar nominee this time around.
Best Music (Original Song): I don't think there are any original songs, but if there are, you definitely can't count it out.
Best Sound Editing: This is unlikely.
Best Sound Mixing: This is more likely than sound editing, but still unlikely.
Best Visual Effects: This is unlikely.

So in a likely world....

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actor
Best Supporting Actor
Best Original Screenplay
Best Art Direction
Best Cinematography
Best Costume Design

That's a pretty good haul. Worst case scenario, it gets three: actor, supporting actor, and original screenplay.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:10 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
I'm not sure at all about The Master simply because of how divisive it is.

I don't disagree with your point, although is is particularly more divisive than There Will Be Blood? TWBB benefits from the panache of its ending and huge themes, and The Master is an undeniably smaller film (just as its much smaller than Tree of Life), but I think very much that it gets in.

Pedro wrote:
Best Director: This is more likely than Best Picture. Even if a film splits a lot of viewers, a director nomination often functions as a consolation prize. (David Lynch for Mulholland Drive, anyone?) It's still hard for me to call it a "lock," but PTA's chances are pretty decent.

I think this is the lock of locks along with DDL, honestly.

Pedro wrote:
Best Actor: This is likely. Even those who hate the film loved Phoenix, and for good reason! If he gets snubbed, it'd be a crime.

I hate to be this way, but I honestly don't believe that I'll want anything other than this to win come March. It's the best performance in at least 5 years.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:17 pm
Second Unit Director

I do think it's more divisive than There Will Be Blood, significantly so, in fact. I remember when There Will Be Blood came out and all anybody talked about was Oscar this and Oscar that. Not that people aren't saying that about The Master, of course. I don't know, maybe it's just a feeling I have. Sometimes you can't explain these things.

Look, it's probably going to get most of the major nominations. I just don't feel particularly comfortable saying "probably" yet. It's too early. I generally don't feel particularly comfortable until I see where the critics and guilds are going in terms of awards. If you want to call it a lock, though, feel free. It's looking pretty good in October, but there's a long way until December.

Let's talk about another divisive film, though divisive for different reasons.

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
Best Picture: This is unlikely. Everything The Dark Knight had going for it in terms of momentum doesn't really exist this time around. The film's not as good, there's no Heath Ledger hullabaloo, and I get the impression that no one cares as much. If the rules for the Best Picture expansion existed in 2009, The Dark Knight's a Best Picture nominee without question. The Dark Knight Rises isn't The Dark Knight, though.
Best Director: This is unlikely. I don't know, it just ain't happening. I don't know what to tell you.
Best Actor: This is unlikely. Christian Bale's a good Batman, but he's not Oscarworthy.
Best Actress: This is unlikely. Warner Brothers is actually campaigning Anne Hathaway in the lead category, but that's arguably because they don't want to fuck up her chances with Les Miserables (like they'd be fucked anyway).
Best Supporting Actor: This is unlikely. Tom Hardy's best work is still ahead of him. I don't think any of the other supporting players are worth mentioning.
Best Supporting Actress: This is unlikely. The only film that will have people talking about Marion Cotillard is Rust and Bone.
Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay): This is unlikely. The adapted screenplay category is slim pickins, but not that slim.
Best Art Direction: This is a possibility, but unlikely in the long run. It depends on the competition, which is maybe thinner than in recent years, but I have a feeling there will be five other films that are more remarkable in this category.
Best Cinematography: This is a possibility. Of all the technical categories that are in question, this is the one that has the biggest chance of getting through. It still might not happen, though.
Best Costume Design: This is a possibility, but unlikely in the long run. I always thought superhero films should get more attention in this category because, well, they wear costumes. The Dark Knight missed a nod here, though, and I expect The Dark Knight Rises to do the same.
Best Film Editing: This is a possibility, but unlikely in the long run. Never count out a respected action film in this category, but this might not be the respected action film that does the trick..
Best Makeup: This is unlikely. There's nothing Joker-like this time around. I should say, though, that the make-up category is a bitch to predict so who the fuck knows?
Best Music (Original Score): This is unlikely. They got dropped last time, it'll probably happen again.
Best Sound Editing: This is likely.
Best Sound Mixing: This is likely.
Best Visual Effects: This is a possibility. Yeah, other films might beat it. Name alone might be enough to get it a nomination, but it's not the strongest contender in the field.

So in a likely world....

Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing

Best Cinematography maybe
Best Visual Effects maybe

Cool.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:50 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
I do think it's more divisive than There Will Be Blood, significantly so, in fact. I remember when There Will Be Blood came out and all anybody talked about was Oscar this and Oscar that. Not that people aren't saying that about The Master, of course. I don't know, maybe it's just a feeling I have. Sometimes you can't explain these things.

Fair enough -- I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative, I certainly concede that you're more knowledgeable in this area. I will admit that The Master is already kindof a thing of the past with tons of time to go, as you said -- my feelings that it's a lock is indeed a gut-feeling thing.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:32 pm
Producer

Pedro wrote:
THE MASTER
Best Picture: This is up in the air. In a lot of ways, the Best Picture expansion was made for films like The Master. At its best, the excess nominations allow for more artistic endeavors, or perhaps more controversial ones. I think it's great that a film like The Tree of Life got nominated for Best Picture last year, and perhaps that more than anything else gives credence that The Master may garner some love. We'll see, though.

Assuming they're going with 9-10 nominees for Best Picture, then every picture that gets a director's nod will also get one for Best Picture. I don't think The Master will get a Director nod.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:15 am
Producer

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Picture: Likely. I think it will be hard to fill up 9-10 spots and this seems like the sort of film that fills it out, the District 9 or Serious Man.

Director: Less likely, since the competition will be stiff.
Actress: Quvenzhané Wallis, about 50-50. She deserves the nomination, but would be by far the youngest actress ever nominated. Keisha Castle-Hughes is the only person ever to be nominated for Best Actress who was less than 18.
Supporting Actor: Dwight Henry: Likely. Conceivably lead.
Adapted Screenplay: Yes
Cinematography: Likely
Editing: Probably not.

I don't really remember the score, and I don't see it getting nominated in any other category.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:27 am
Director

Independent Spirit Award noms

Best Feature
"Beasts Of The Southern Wild"
"Bernie"
"Keep The Lights On"
"Moonrise Kingdom"
"Silver Linings Playbook"

Best Director
Wes Anderson - "Moonrise Kingdom"
Julia Loktev - "The Loneliest Planet"
David O Russell - "Silver Linings Playbook"
Ira Sachs - "Keep The Lights On"
Benh Zeitlin - "Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Best First Feature
"Fill The Void"
"Gimme The Loot"
"Safety Not Guaranteed"
"Sound Of My Voice"
"The Perks Of Being A Wallflower"

John Cassavetes Award
"Breakfast With Curtis"
"The Color Wheel"
"Middle Of Nowhere"
"Mosquita y Mari"
"Starlet"

Best Male Lead
Jack Black - "Bernie"
Bradley Cooper - "Silver Linings Playbook"
John Hawkes - "The Sessions"
Thure Lindhart - "Keep The Lights On"
Matthew McConaughey - "Killer Joe"
Wendell Pierce - "Four"

Best Female Lead
Linda Cardenelli - "Return"
Emayatzy Corinealdi - "Middle Of Nowhere"
Jennifer Lawrence - "Silver Linings Playbook"
Quvenzhane Wallis - "Beasts Of The Southern Wild"
Mary Elizabeth Winstead - "Smashed"

Best Supporting Male
Matthew McConaughey - "Magic Mike"
David Oyelowo - "Middle Of Nowhere"
Michael Pena - "End Of Watch"
Sam Rockwell - "Seven Psychopaths"
Bruce Willis - "Moonrise Kingdom"

Best Supporting Female
Rosemarie DeWitt - "Your Sister's Sister"
Ann Dowd - "Compliance"
Helen Hunt - "The Sessions"
Brit Marling - "Sound Of My Voice"
Lorraine Toussaint - "MIddle Of Nowhere"

Best Screenplay
Wes Anderson - "Moonrise Kingdom"
Zoe Kazan - "Ruby Sparks"
Martin McDonagh - "Seven Psychopaths"
David O Russell - "Silver Linings Playbook"
Ira Sachs & Mauricio Zacharias - "Keep The Lights On"

Best First Screenplay
Rama Burshtein - "Fill The Void"
Derek Connolly - "Safety Not Guaranteed"
Christopher Ford - "Robot & Frank
Rashida Jones & Will McCormack - "Celeste & Jesse Forever
Jonathan Lisecki - "Gayby"

Best International Feature
"Amour"
"Once Upon A TIme In Anatolia"
"Rust & Bone"
"Sister"
"War Witch"

Best Documentary
"The Central Park Five"
"How To Survive A Plague"
"The Invisible War"
"Marina Abramovic: The Artist Is Present"
"The Waiting Room"

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:11 pm
Second Unit Director

Syd Henderson wrote:

I don't really remember the score, and I don't see it getting nominated in any other category.

I though BOTSW's score was great--truly memorable at that.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:55 pm
Assistant Director

I wrote about this in another topic, but I'll address it here as well. Right now, all signs point to Les Miserables lapping the field and running away with Best Picture. The pedigree of the cast and crew, the late release date, the Academy's love of period pieces, the fact we've never gotten a true big-budget, star-studded version of this musical until now. Sorry guys, we can talk about who the nominees will be, but I'm going out on a limb right now and calling the fight.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:14 am
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
I wrote about this in another topic, but I'll address it here as well. Right now, all signs point to Les Miserables lapping the field and running away with Best Picture. The pedigree of the cast and crew, the late release date, the Academy's love of period pieces, the fact we've never gotten a true big-budget, star-studded version of this musical until now. Sorry guys, we can talk about who the nominees will be, but I'm going out on a limb right now and calling the fight.

I think you also have to take into account the Academy's love of historical pieces as a whole, and how the films themselves are relevant to our times--in other words, does a particular film set a theme that can be looked at as goal to strive toward. For instance last awards season with The Artist. The Artist was about looking at a new way of doing things; looking at encompassing the old into the new. In many ways this was very relevant to our economic and political situations. With that said, I wouldn't cast aside Lincoln, or even Argo for that matter to "win big."

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:26 am
Director

I'm really thinking Argo. It's a 100 mil grosser that everyone likes.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:18 am
Second Unit Director

I think Argo is as much a lock as anything to get nominated, but I think it peaked a touch too early. If a true-life, well-made, accessible film wins, it'll be Zero Dark Thirty. Argo's "true" story's lack of, shall we say, factual accuracy will be contrasted with the (seeming) "realism" of ZDT... a film whose facts can't be disputed as easily.

Otherwise, I think Lincoln, Life of Pi and Silver Linings will certainly be nominated... and will certainly not win. Not my statement of their quality, just where I think things stand. Les Miz is the lead horse without question right now. ZDT and Argo and everything else are sprinting to keep up. Django doesn't seem like it's going to come in at the end to take anything beyond DiCap and screenplay nods (although I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised quality-wise)... and from an Oscar perspective, you could make a decent case that Inglourious Basterds, which was far from a mind-blowing favorite in the minds of critics, was probably the (fairly decent) #3 behind Hurt Locker and The Smurfs in '09, so who knows.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:55 am
Auteur

I really hope ZDT wins, though i'm wondering why the film isn't on JB's upcoming reviews list?

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:20 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I really hope ZDT wins, though i'm wondering why the film isn't on JB's upcoming reviews list?

It actually doesn't open other than NY/LA until January 11th, so that's probably why.

Just curious, why do you desire it to win?

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:32 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

It actually doesn't open other than NY/LA until January 11th, so that's probably why.

Probably because he was such a huge fan of The Hurt Locker, if you guys remember... ;) But honestly, I doubt that ZDT will win much in the major categories (although I would expect several nominations) if only because The Hurt Locker swept the Oscars a few years ago and they probably wanna give someone else other than Bigelow and Boal a chance.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

oafolay wrote:
Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Probably because he was such a huge fan of The Hurt Locker, if you guys remember... ;) But honestly, I doubt that ZDT will win much in the major categories (although I would expect several nominations) if only because The Hurt Locker swept the Oscars a few years ago and they probably wanna give someone else other than Bigelow and Boal a chance.

I thought ZDT was coming out on the 19th this month?

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:53 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I thought ZDT was coming out on the 19th this month?

That was the original plan, but now it's only coming out NY/LA on that day to qualify for Oscars. Their thinking seems to be twofold:

First, they think the film is damn good and will win major critic attention/awards love, which will only build the appeal of the film in the public's eye and (they hope) keep people from thinking it's political/just an action film/too dark.

Secondly, they can avoid competing with The Hobbit/Les Miz through the holidays (both of which are slightly easier sells to the general moviegoing public, I believe).

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:16 pm