Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:57 pm

Horror Movie Recommendations: Got Any Good Ones? 
Critic

Post Horror Movie Recommendations: Got Any Good Ones?
Horror movies were my first love, from a cinematic genre standpoint. Oh sure I had a hankering for action movies as a child, but I didn't have much desire to see every action movie. Hell I still haven't seen any of the Rambos and that's fine by me. But horror was different. I wanted to see every horror movie. Unfortunately, though, I kinda did. Starting with Halloween, Psycho, and Scream and then heading down all the way to the lesser lights of Graduation Day and Sleepaway Camp , I really didn't leave many stones unturned.

But then today I watched Candyman, which I had never seen because I always thought that it was stupid, and it was a really solid horror flick. Lots of gore, to be sure, but also some cool social commentary, nifty use of Chicago as a setting, and a bunch of interesting directions. Watching it made me feel that maybe there are some horror frontiers I haven't explored.

So, anyhoo, could anyone give me some horror recommendations? I'm open to anything pretty much, including "not-entirely-successful-but-interesting-at-times" recommendations: with horror, you have to take what you can get. Help me out, folks!

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:56 pm
Post Re: Horror Movie Recommendations: Got Any Good Ones?
The Revenant. Very funny, clever, little seen horror/comedy/buddy movie about a soldier in Iraq who is killed, but wakes up back home surprisingly fit and conscious. Death, gore and hilarity ensue. Definitely not perfect, but well worth a watch.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:17 pm
Assistant Director

The Abandoned - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475937/ - Thoughtful thriller/horror about family, made on the cheap with a maximum of style and some real substance.

Trilogy of Terror - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073820/ - Very fun 1975 TV movie with Karen Black in multiple roles. At 70 minutes, it's hardly an investment and the last chapter, about a Zuni fetish doll, is very memorable.

I thought Miike's original One Missed Call was damned good for what was largely a generic Japanese ghost story. Lots of commentary with one sequence, in a television studio, that is sensational.

I also liked Ravenous, which is considered fairly bad by the majority of critics.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:30 pm
Critic

Thanks for the tips guys! Haven't seen any of these.

Keep 'em coming!

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:25 pm
I recommended Triangle, My Little Eye, and Kill List in a similar thread earlier this year. Reaction to the last one has been mixed so far on the forum; I really like it, others are not as wild about it. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion. I plan on revisiting it myself in the near future to see if I feel the same way about it on a second viewing.

Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Pulse and Cure have been praised many times on this forum by JJoshay, and I'll echo his enthusiasm. The latter may not strictly be a horror film, but it has an unsettling quality to it that makes it feel like a part of the genre. Hideo Nakata's Dark Water is another very good one.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:38 pm
Critic

[quote="Blonde Almond"]I recommended Triangle, My Little Eye, and Kill List in a similar thread earlier this year. Reaction to the last one has been mixed so far on the forum; I really like it, others are not as wild about it. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion. I plan on revisiting it myself in the near future to see if I feel the same way about it on a second viewing.
/quote]

All three of those sound super duper intriguing. All added, and I will report back

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:09 pm
The Abominable Dr. Phibes trust me this is awesome.

The Witchfinder General - also known as: The Conqueror Worm

Try anything from Roger Corman and "Hammer Horror". -or even better: ask (=google) Mark Kermode - he really knows a thing or two about horror movies.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:07 pm
I would recommend:
High Tension
Frontier(s)
The Creeper
The Frighteners
Urban Legends:Final Cut
Valentine
Dying Breed
Joy Ride

I found My Little Eye to be rather mediocre and forgettable, not much in the way of scares and the acting left a lot to be desired, I think "Kolobos" handled the same basic concept a lot better.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:59 pm
Director

Among recent horror films, The Descent is one of the best. Far better than the truly idiotic The Cave which was released almost a year earlier.

Also good is The Host. It has subtitles. But I know you can handle them.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:04 pm
Assistant Director

I liked Event Horizon, even though I may be the only one.

Agree with Jeff. The Descent is a classic. By far one of the most frightening horror movies to come along in a while.

If you've already seen "The Descent," check out Neil Marshall's previous film, Dog Soldiers. It's a great horror movie too.

I also suggest Fear. It's a "stranger within" movie, like "Fatal Attraction" or "Single White Female," both of which are good choices by the way. But the characters are so real and the situations are so believable that it still terrifies me.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

The Innkeepers is apparently great. I'll find out in 10 minutes. Although I can't recommend the movie quite yet, if ever, I recommend you watch the movie as an act of forum solidarity.

EDIT: I'm 35 minutes in and, so far, Ti West has managed to generate heaps over tons of boredom. Absolutely nothing of interest, no suspense, no atmosphere. I'm giving it another 15 minutes before moving on with my life.

EDIT 2: Tabled until I again forget that life is too short to waste time on movies like The Innkeepers.

Screw forum solidarity. Do check out Paperhouse if you haven't seen it.

Last edited by Mark III on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:09 am
Assistant Director

Amusement is also good.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:16 am
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:
I liked Event Horizon, even though I may be the only one.

Agree with Jeff. The Descent is a classic. By far one of the most frightening horror movies to come along in a while.

If you've already seen "The Descent," check out Neil Marshall's previous film, Dog Soldiers. It's a great horror movie too.

I also suggest Fear. It's a "stranger within" movie, like "Fatal Attraction" or "Single White Female," both of which are good choices by the way. But the characters are so real and the situations are so believable that it still terrifies me.

I would also recommend Event Horizon.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:50 am
Haven't seen but want to see:

The Woman in Black
Don't be Afraid of the Dark

Recent ones that I liked (meaning I got spooked).

The Descent
The Strangers
Insidious
The House of the Devil (the best horror film I've seen in a loooong time).

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:13 am
Director

Quote:
Hell I still haven't seen any of the Rambos and that's fine by me

well they're all much better than Goonies(esp First Blood)

how about some older horror movies

Curse of the Demon
The Innocents

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:56 pm
Mark III wrote:
The Innkeepers is apparently great. I'll find out in 10 minutes. Although I can't recommend the movie quite yet, if ever, I recommend you watch the movie as an act of forum solidarity.

EDIT: I'm 35 minutes in and, so far, Ti West has managed to generate heaps over tons of boredom. Absolutely nothing of interest, no suspense, no atmosphere. I'm giving it another 15 minutes before moving on with my life.

EDIT 2: Tabled until I again forget that life is too short to waste time on movies like The Innkeepers.

Screw forum solidarity. Do check out Paperhouse if you haven't seen it.

Highly recommend The Innkeepers.

Don't listen to that MarkIII guy, wait until the Mark IV model comes along, then pay attention.

Wait, he recommended Paperhouse! Now I'm conflicted. Maybe you should listen to Mark III. I guess in every model there are a few bugs...

Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:48 pm
Critic

Love The Descent too. Only great horror movie I've seen in the last 8 years or so. Love that shit

Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:08 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

So did I, though I was also a bit disappointed in it. Don't get me wrong, it was good, just not as good as I expected it to be.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 pm
Critic

dps wrote:
Vexer wrote:

So did I, though I was also a bit disappointed in it. Don't get me wrong, it was good, just not as good as I expected it to be.

I used to love Event Horizon. Then I watched it again and realized it was an Alien clone without any of the ingredients that made Alien good; a no-talent gore fest that's underplotted and poorly acted. That was a bad day for me.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:03 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
dps wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I used to love Event Horizon. Then I watched it again and realized it was an Alien clone without any of the ingredients that made Alien good; a no-talent gore fest that's underplotted and poorly acted. That was a bad day for me.

I'll take Event Horizon over Alien any day, and I personally don't think it's an Alien clone.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:29 pm