Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Watchmen box office drop 
Post Watchmen box office drop
After all of the hype and the opening box office weekend, I'm predicting that there will be a steep drop for Watchmen come the 2nd weekend. I'm thinking that it could be as much as a 75% drop from the opening weekend total.

Anyone else who agrees that this film will take a steep nose-dive can chime in with their predictions. I will start off by calling a 2nd weekend box office total of $25M.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:51 pm
Post Re: Watchmen box office drop
I have not seen Watchmen yet, but word of mouth among my friends and co-workers has been extremely negative. Even friends of mine who are into comics and graphic novels couldn't give me enough good reasons to see it. They suggested I give the print version a try instead. I'm willing to go a little lower and guess 22 million this weekend.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:15 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
After all of the hype and the opening box office weekend, I'm predicting that there will be a steep drop for Watchmen come the 2nd weekend.

Geez, you think :)

But we do have a Fanboy effect as well as the negative word-of-mouth so a drop of 70% is likely while 60% is guaranteed.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:35 pm
Patrick wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
After all of the hype and the opening box office weekend, I'm predicting that there will be a steep drop for Watchmen come the 2nd weekend.

But we do have a Fanboy effect as well as the negative word-of-mouth so a drop of 70% is likely while 60% is guaranteed.

You haven't given a number though! :(

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:47 pm
Craig wrote:
I have not seen Watchmen yet, but word of mouth among my friends and co-workers has been extremely negative. Even friends of mine who are into comics and graphic novels couldn't give me enough good reasons to see it. They suggested I give the print version a try instead. I'm willing to go a little lower and guess 22 million this weekend.

In many cases, it's *because* they were so into the comic that they couldn't give any good reasons to see the film, I'll bet. I'm sure that the Watchmen fanboys would have seen this film as a travesty rather than as any sort of "faithful" adaptation.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:49 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

You haven't given a number though! :(

I gave you two, what more do you want? Three? :lol:

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:56 pm
Craig wrote:

Interestng. All my friends seem to think it a great film, though a little lacking on the emotional side.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:57 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
Craig wrote:

Interestng. All my friends seem to think it a great film, though a little lacking on the emotional side.

I am not sure how much emotion is supposed to be in it, coming from a source book that seemed to me to be full of characters that see the world as unsalvageable, plus one non-human lol, but I found it to be about what I wanted it to be. I think Snyder did a great job, and I am not sure that the BO receipts will drop that dramatically. I have read several interesting reviews, positive and negative, and I think many people are still wanting to see it, fans and non alike.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:26 pm
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
I am not sure how much emotion is supposed to be in it, coming from a source book that seemed to me to be full of characters that see the world as unsalvageable, plus one non-human lol, but I found it to be about what I wanted it to be. I think Snyder did a great job, and I am not sure that the BO receipts will drop that dramatically. I have read several interesting reviews, positive and negative, and I think many people are still wanting to see it, fans and non alike.

I think you should read the book again (I'm assuming you read it once already), because that "non-human" part is exposing your ignorance of the comic.

Anyway, I was off- I thought the drop wouldn't be quite as steep considering that there really wasn't much competition this weekend (Miss March? Race to Witch Mountain? Please.). So far, Watchmen has taken in $18M this weekend, which represents nearly a 70% drop from last weekend. It looks like the film is limping towards breaking after counting international receipts.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:13 am
Ragnarok73 wrote:
After all of the hype and the opening box office weekend, I'm predicting that there will be a steep drop for Watchmen come the 2nd weekend. I'm thinking that it could be as much as a 75% drop from the opening weekend total.

Anyone else who agrees that this film will take a steep nose-dive can chime in with their predictions. I will start off by calling a 2nd weekend box office total of $25M.

You never know
It might go like Shawshank Redemption, and make most of it's money with dvd sales.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:09 am
Over the weekend, I actually saw an online article (can't remember where) which compared WATCHMEN's box-office performance to that of SPEED RACER which strikes me as absurd. Well, okay. Given the fact that both films were major tentpole release for Warner Bros. which underperformed (relative to expecations) domestically and internationally, I can see the parallel.

But the fact of the matter is that WATCHMEN is actually on its way to recouping its budget (factoring in the international grosses). Yes, it will struggle and yes, it is falling off fast, but it will likely crack $100 million next week. SPEED RACER didn't even come close to doing that.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=watchmen.htm

This is before the inevitable dvd/Blu-Ray windfall. Oh, sure, there will be as much mass rejection of it on home video from those who were not already invested in the source material, but given how many different releases there will be (with there likely to be at least as many versions of the movie as Oliver Stone's ALEXANDER), fans and collectors will ultimately justify this thing.

It just will not be to the extent that Warner Bros. was hoping (with their payoff to Fox even more painful than it would've been had the film turned a real profit).

Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:00 am
Word of mouth on the movie is not very positive. Many of my friends who saw the film thought it was boring and very mediocre (they have not read the book). Friends who are not familiar with the novel have expressed little interest in seeing the movie. Somebody always seems to be saying "I heard it wasn't very good."

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:58 pm
I'm not surprised at the drop, there are very few people who will go back and rewatch the movie in theatres. I thought the movie was pretty good but it was hard to sit through. I can't see many people investing over 2.5 hours for a second viewing. I'm going to wait until the DVD comes out before I watch it again and I'm sure most people are going to do the same thing.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:20 am
I was psyched to see it
But the reviews, horrible WOM and 160 minutes stopped me (and many others it seems) making the effort
Rob

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:23 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
I was psyched to see it
But the reviews, horrible WOM and 160 minutes stopped me (and many others it seems) making the effort
Rob

That's too bad.
For fans of the graphic novel, I couldn't recommend it enough.

For others I would say, check it out on DVD. It will make for a fantastic DVD experience with all of the viewing options that will be available given the Tales of the Black Freighter, Under the Hood, and general director's cut content.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:33 am
Trevor wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
I was psyched to see it
Rob

That's too bad.

For others I would say, check it out on DVD. It will make for a fantastic DVD experience with all of the viewing options that will be available given the Tales of the Black Freighter, Under the Hood, and general director's cut content.

wait a minute. i still haven't seen it. but are you suggesting that the tales of the black freighter is not included in the movie? but that added a whole new and awesome layer to the story. i heard the movie was faithful to the novel. apparently not.
i mean, if i were making that movie, id definitely include it.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:01 am
Trevor wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
I was psyched to see it
Rob

That's too bad.

As a fan of the comic myself, I couldn't warn other fans away from it enough especially if they're purists. The movie is a hollow gourd with a pretty package. The DVD version may be a bit better if only because "The Tales of the Black Freighter" will be included. Leaving it out of the movie was an unpardonable sin in my book.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:13 am
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Leaving it out of the movie was an unpardonable sin in my book.

I am very curious as to why you think that.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:38 am
taking a step back and taking a look, Watchmens box droppings aren't a shocker

considering how strong the source material is, the filmmaking is scrawny and doesn't bring anything new to the table (minus the opening scene--which was awesome)

its basically frame by frame with the graphic novel; until the end, when it actually detracts from the comic's power and the acting is not particularly good--plain awful in some places.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:44 am
timgoens wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Leaving it out of the movie was an unpardonable sin in my book.

I am very curious as to why you think that.

Ok, here's why:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Simply put: the particular tale in Tales of the Black Freighter being told in Watchmen, "Marooned", is an allegorical parallel to Veidt's own isolation from humanity in his quest to destroy the evils that beset them. The nameless protagonist in the tale sheds his own humanity to fight what he *perceives* to be an evil threat against his home and family. The entire tale was in fact a foreshadowing of Veidt's decision to kill millions in order to bring peace to the world. Near the end of Watchmen, Veidt tells Dr.Manhattan of seeing a dark ship in his dreams (the Black Freighter to which the Tales refers).

Feel free to read the comic (again) and compare the comic-in-comic to Veidt's own journey. Again, it was a terrible decision to leave it out of the movie, IMO, among many.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:59 pm