Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:32 pm

Hey, so... yeah. Sorry I Made That One Movie. 
Assistant Director

Post Hey, so... yeah. Sorry I Made That One Movie.
Though I haven't heard it, the commentary track for Joel "Nipples" Schumacher's Batman & Robin features an apology by the director for the terrible movie he's made. Interesting.

Any other examples of this? Probably hundreds but anything notable? Woody Allen has called something like 1/2 his filmography "failures" though that isn't as specific as I'd like.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:46 pm
Post Re: Hey, so... yeah. Sorry I Made That One Movie.
I know that James Cameron will barely recognize Piranha 2: The Spawning as part of his filmography and doesn't even consider it his first movie.

Also David Fincher hates Alien 3 because of all the rewrites that the studio undertook and didn't take place in the "quadrilogy" when it was released.

There are a bunch of cases of director's practically disowning their projects, but that's usually because of studio interference and not what they believe to be their own ineptitude. You don't see that very often.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:10 pm
There was that really bad Mickey Rourke film "No Prayer For The Dying", both Rourke and director Mike Hodges disowned that film. Wes Craven regretted making Vampire In Brooklyn(as did Eddie Murphy).

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:30 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Wes Craven regretted making Vampire In Brooklyn(as did Eddie Murphy).

I assume, were I to start a thread on the movies Eddie Murphy regretted making, the one post in that thread would have all of his output from the 1990s, 2000s and this decade save for Dreamgirls and Bowfinger. Is there any star out there that's been given a longer grace period than Eddie Murphy? One bomb after the next, that guy. Unbelievable.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:08 pm
Mark III wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I assume, were I to start a thread on the movies Eddie Murphy regretted making, the one post in that thread would have all of his output from the 1990s, 2000s and this decade save for Dreamgirls and Bowfinger. Is there any star out there that's been given a longer grace period than Eddie Murphy? One bomb after the next, that guy. Unbelievable.

I like most of his films, Murphy admitted that if given a choice between winning an Oscar for Dreamgirls and doing Norbit, he would've chosen the latter, as while an Oscar would've looked nice on his mantle, it wouldn't pay the bills.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:37 pm
Critic

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Justinpbg/actors_insulting_their_films

This was published today (not one of mine) but it's apropos.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:39 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Mark III wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I like most of his films, Murphy admitted that if given a choice between winning an Oscar for Dreamgirls and doing Norbit, he would've chosen the latter, as while an Oscar would've looked nice on his mantle, it wouldn't pay the bills.

I'm glad to read he's maintained dedication to artistic integrity.

JamesKunz wrote:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/Justinpbg/actors_insulting_their_films

This was published today (not one of mine) but it's apropos.

I can't wait to get home and take this quiz.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:42 pm
I remember hearing George Clooney saying that if he ever ran into someone who had seen Batman and Robin in theaters, he would personally refund the money they spent on the ticket.

This thread reminded me of that. Funny stuff.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:12 pm
Director

Tony Kaye apparently hated the final cut of American History X.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:25 pm
Well actors have bills to pay just like the rest of us, so they can't always star in whatever films they want, sometimes they have to pass over a film they really want to do for a film that pays but they're not so enthusiastic about. If I were Murphy i'd make the same choice, Dreamgirls was overrated anyways, Murphy was pretty the only worthwhile thing in that film IMO.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:38 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Well actors have bills to pay just like the rest of us, so they can't always star in whatever films they want, sometimes they have to pass over a film they really want to do for a film that pays but they're not so enthusiastic about. If I were Murphy i'd make the same choice, Dreamgirls was overrated anyways, Murphy was pretty the only worthwhile thing in that film IMO.

First: Dreamgirls wasn't overrated. It was just bad.

Second: you're right, you're right. This is what Affleck or Damon says in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back: "You gotta do the safe picture, then you do the art picture." Once Eddie Murphy gets those bills paid, I'm expecting the fucking Guernica of filmmaking. I wanna juxtapose that Eddie Murphy art picture with a Monet and vomit on the Monet.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:37 am
Producer

Billy Bob Thornton called Armageddon "Horse shit" in an interview a few years ago.

Anthony Hopkins commented that he'd made some "fucking bad films". He didn't name names but later in the interview he mentioned that he accepted his part in Bad Company without even a cursory glance at the script.

Daniel Craig doesn't speak well of Quantum of Solace and I'm pretty sure he once apologised to fans for it. (I like it).

It's probably fair to say that Jonny Dep appreciates how bad The Tourist is. It would be nice to hear him comment.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:25 am
It's too easy for actors to shit on their poor movies because they can so easily distance themselves from the final product. I want more people directly responsible to come clean. Like if Schumacher would come out and say "Yeah, we new it was shit the whole time but it's fucking Batman so we didn't think anybody would really care". That'd be neat.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:23 am
Director

I decided to look this one up, and found these:

Charlize Theron went on the record as saying she hated Reindeer Games.

Mark Wahlberg has said he hates The Happening.

George Clooney has called Batman & Robin "really shit."

Katherine Heigl apparently didn't like Knocked Up.

Mickey Rourke called Passion Play "a terrible movie."

Shia LaBeouf went on record as not liking Transformers 2.

Colin Farrell has said he "didn't like" Miami Vice very much.

Michell Pfeiffer says she "hated, hated Grease 2."

Jamie Foxx has gone on the record as hating Stealth.

Arnold Schwarzenegger calls Red Sonja "the worst movie he ever made."

Bob Hoskins called Super Mario Bros. "the worst thing he's ever been involved in."

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:15 am
rblount27 wrote:
It's too easy for actors to shit on their poor movies because they can so easily distance themselves from the final product. I want more people directly responsible to come clean. Like if Schumacher would come out and say "Yeah, we new it was shit the whole time but it's fucking Batman so we didn't think anybody would really care". That'd be neat.

Agreed. Well said.

There's the retired Alan Smithee pseudonym, where directors who were unhappy with their movies could disown the project and the stock Smithee name would be given credit. It's a pretty interesting little story.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:53 am
Producer

Sexual Choco

Quote:
George Clooney has called Batman & Robin "really shit."

Katherine Heigl apparently didn't like Knocked Up.

Bob Hoskins called Super Mario Bros. "the worst thing he's ever been involved in.

Apparently Judd Apatow severly disliked Katrherine Heigle's whole attitude on that film set. "Bitch" came to mind.

Hoskins and Clooney get no kudos for stating the freakin obvious.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:57 am
Depp likes The Tourist as do I, I'd rather see him do more films like that and less Tim Burton films. Jason Bateman said in interviews that he thought "The Change-Up" was garbage (I don't agree, if he hated that film, then one wonders what he thinks of Teen Wolf Too)

Bruce Willis wasn't a fan of Armageddon, and his bad experiences of working on the film made him refuse to ever work with Michael Bay again.

I personally loved Reindeer Games, maybe Theron hated it because she dosen't like doing nude scenes anymore?

Interesting while Rourke did dislike Passion Play, he did praise Megan Fox's acting skills, oh and she didn't like TF2 much either, hell even Bay apologized for that film.

Also liked Stealth, but i'm not surprised Foxx didn't like it, given how early his character was killed off.

I'm surprised Arnie considers Red Sonja worse then Hercules In New York.

Stallone hated all of his attempts at comedy, Rhinestone, Oscar and Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot

Roger Moore isn't at all fond of the 80s Bond films, espeically A View To A Kill.

Heigl disliked Knocked Up because she thought it was "sexist" I can sort of understand where she's coming(some critics said the same thing) even though I don't agree.

Helen Mirren admitted she only did "Teaching Mrs. Tingle" because the studio gave her a shitload of money to do it.

For all those that haven't been mentioned, check this out:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/OldShame/Film

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:26 am
Director

I found a few more:

Christopher Plummer has gone on the record many times as hating The Sound of Music.

Shia LaBeouf wasn't the only one who hated Transformers 2; costar Megan Fox said she "didn't know how you saw it...without having a brain aneurysm."

Halle Berry has called Catwoman "God-awful."

Shia LaBeouf also really didn't like Indiana Jones 4, saying "we dropped the ball."

It's been said already, but Stallone's actual quote about Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot is worth reading: "If you ever want someone to confess to murder, just make him or her sit through that film."

Alec Guinness hated Star Wars, and called George Lucas' dialogue "awful, banal."

Bill Cosby hated Leonard Part 6 so much that he told people not to see it before it came out. And then he bought the rights to it so it wouldn't be shown on TV.

Jamie Lee Curtis called Virus "unbelievably bad from top to bottom."

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:07 pm
Assistant Director

Robert Altman considered O.C. and Stiggs a failure, according to a Wiki reference to an interview included with the Tanner '88 DVD. The Altman flop is currently available on Netflix Instant for those who'd like to see what Altman does with an 80s teen formula. I made it 30 minutes into the movie before deciding to finish this bad novel I'm reading.

http://misconstrue.net/ocandstiggs.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.C._and_Stiggs

Altman's filmography has many dips and none are apparently quite as dramatic as this film.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:43 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
Depp likes The Tourist

Any evidence for this? Because he never offers much resistence to Ricky Gervais flaming him on the issue. He seems to implicitly acknowledge it being shit.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:12 am