Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:43 pm

Recent DVD order 
Post Recent DVD order
got a nice coupon at Barnes and Noble to use with their recent art film sale, couldn't believe that I could do both, many of the DVD's were 7.99 or less.

So I picked up the following, many I have seen, but I want in my library so I can just pull them when I want.

Renoir:

Sur un air de Charleston
The Elusive Corporal
Fille De L'Eau
La Marseillaise
The Testament of Dr. Cordelier
Nana

Battleship Potemkin,
Like Water for Chocolate
Atonement
Trainspotting
Good Will Hunting
Hustler
Birth of a Nation

and a few other guilty pleasures......

I also have a complete list of films to get from Amazon, and remember folks, if you click on a Amazon link here on Reelviews, and order at that time, even with your account, James gets a few $$ to help out with things.

cheers,

Wade

Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:35 pm
Post Re: Recent DVD order
Commodorefirst wrote:

I demand you list said guilty pleasures!

I've actually never seen any Renoir - I really need to get to work on that! Any recommendations for a first?

We should get a "last DVD you bought" thread started, i've been going spending crazy as of late...

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:15 pm
Wow, quite the list!
and the guilty pleasures?
Rob

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:29 pm
Loafer wrote:
Commodorefirst wrote:

I demand you list said guilty pleasures!

I've actually never seen any Renoir - I really need to get to work on that! Any recommendations for a first?

We should get a "last DVD you bought" thread started, i've been going spending crazy as of late...

Wow, tough crowd, can't keep secrets around here,

Best first Renoir films, in my opinion, a tie, Grand Ilusion, and Rules of the Game,

guilty pleasures,

long sigh....... Tora Tora Tora, Midway, newest Battle Star Galactica, and a new updated copy of the 7 Samurai, the new remastered version, I now have multiple versions of this one!

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:06 am
You feel guilty for Tora Tora Tora? That movie was awesome, you don't deserve to be guilty of anything ever again.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:43 am
Patrick wrote:
You feel guilty for Tora Tora Tora? That movie was awesome, you don't deserve to be guilty of anything ever again.

You know how it is, some folks just like trashing anothers likes or dislikes, without rhyme or reason, and without a opinion on why not.....

One of our failings in society anymore, lack of tolerance for another view! however, glad to find another Tora Fan! :mrgreen:

I have just about every "good" war movie in my library, just because I was a WWII history buff growing up, among other things.....

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:49 pm
Commodorefirst wrote:
guilty pleasures,

long sigh....... Tora Tora Tora, Midway, newest Battle Star Galactica, and a new updated copy of the 7 Samurai, the new remastered version, I now have multiple versions of this one!

:) Those are, without any doubt, the least "guilty" guilty pleasures I've ever heard. What's so shameful about BSG and multiple copies of a Kurosawa classic?

Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:03 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
:) Those are, without any doubt, the least "guilty" guilty pleasures I've ever heard. What's so shameful about BSG and multiple copies of a Kurosawa classic?

Well, true I consider BSG a pretty darn unique visual art piece/extended film, and the Kurosawa, well, I have three copies already, VHS, DVDs. and the new DVD remastering, At times it is hard to explain to my better half. ;)

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:16 am
Have you seen Birth of a Nation? That's an interesting film to sit through.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:42 am
Pedro wrote:

I remember watching the first half (before the intermission) and thinking that it was racist, but overall not as bad as people made it out to be. Then came the second half.

I liked it though...as much as one can "like" a movie like that. I didn't agree with the content, but I admired Griffith's skill. The scene towards the end that intercuts the clan rushing in on horseback really ratchets up the suspense.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:35 pm
Pedro wrote:

Not all the way through, parts, at another persons house,

I think with this film, you have to take it as a piece of historical content, not as a film for art merits.

I do plan to watch it one day.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:45 pm
It's a fairly disheartening snapshot, but yeah, the filmmaking is pretty damn good.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:57 pm