Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
THE OFFICIAL "DARK KNIGHT RISES" REVIEW THREAD 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: THE OFFICIAL "DARK KNIGHT RISES" REVIEW THREAD
I certainly wouldn't want to have gone through what he did. It would have been horrific, especially losing a friend. So I can empathize which him, and I do feel bad for anyone having gone through such a traumatic ordeal. That being said, I think he's going about this in the wrong way. The guy was caught, he's going to stand trial, that should be justice enough.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:23 am
That's not the American Way. Something happens? Sue!!!

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:20 am
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
I certainly wouldn't want to have gone through what he did. It would have been horrific, especially losing a friend. So I can empathize which him, and I do feel bad for anyone having gone through such a traumatic ordeal. That being said, I think he's going about this in the wrong way. The guy was caught, he's going to stand trial, that should be justice enough.

I think it's safe to say no one in the situation had what could be considered a great time. It's awful that he had to lose a friend, but I can't really bring myself to feel too sorry for someone who wasn't killed or injured and is now trying to exploit his "pain and suffering" in order to make a little (or maybe a lot) of money. I mean, think about the people who actually did get shot, or even killed.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:11 am
thered47 wrote:
Not exactly back on topic but closer anyways:

The 5 Stages of Coping with a negative Dark Knight Rises Review
http://tdylf.com/2012/07/16/the-five-st ... es-review/

-Jeremy

The cartoon version (slightly different topic though):
http://v.cdn.cad-comic.com/comics/cad-20120725-48e18.png

Funny. But the author picked the one nitpick that was clearly explained in the movie.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Blake knowing who Batman is
or some other things like that should have been there instead.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:53 am
Director

Armond White's take

Quote:
The Christopher Nolan Batman movies are not exactly life affirming, so why do pundits refuse to connect those films to last week’s Aurora, Colorado, massacre at the midnight showing of Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises? Instead, the problem of the films themselves has been swept away by a torrent of political distraction over gun control. After this clash of cinema and reality, have we forgotten that culture either dooms or defines us?

Over-smart responses to the shooting resemble the mindless state of most contemporary cultural commentary. It takes escapism–whether in movies or journalism–to a maniacal extreme by uniformly ignoring the causal relationship between the Christopher Nolan franchise and the murderous actions of James Egan Holmes (12 deaths and 70 injured persons) whose disguise resembled the role that Heath Ledger played in 2008’s The Dark Knight; even referring to himself as Ledger’s character, The Joker.

Holmes’ joke made the connection plain. Yet, standard-setting media consistently ignores the effect of movie content and idly promotes film as product.

the rest here

http://cityarts.info/2012/07/25/cultures-clash/

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:05 pm
calvero wrote:
Armond White's take

Quote:
The Christopher Nolan Batman movies are not exactly life affirming, so why do pundits refuse to connect those films to last week’s Aurora, Colorado, massacre at the midnight showing of Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises? Instead, the problem of the films themselves has been swept away by a torrent of political distraction over gun control. After this clash of cinema and reality, have we forgotten that culture either dooms or defines us?

Over-smart responses to the shooting resemble the mindless state of most contemporary cultural commentary. It takes escapism–whether in movies or journalism–to a maniacal extreme by uniformly ignoring the causal relationship between the Christopher Nolan franchise and the murderous actions of James Egan Holmes (12 deaths and 70 injured persons) whose disguise resembled the role that Heath Ledger played in 2008’s The Dark Knight; even referring to himself as Ledger’s character, The Joker.

Holmes’ joke made the connection plain. Yet, standard-setting media consistently ignores the effect of movie content and idly promotes film as product.

the rest here

http://cityarts.info/2012/07/25/cultures-clash/

Aside from maybe McGames, does anyone here really give a shit what White has to say? The guy likes to be contrary for its own sake, period. Either that, or he's just nuts.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:51 pm
Okay, White is a bad critic and everybody knows it, but this is far beyond his usual schtick. This is nothing more than cheap Limbaugh-style attention whoring, and nothing more.

I'd normally suggest that he go back to the bottom of whatever shoe he was scraped from. But considering that trolling the world of film journalism is his only claim to fame in the first place and people barely take him seriously as it is, I can't imagine his reputation will sustain too much damage. There isn't much else to go but up.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:04 pm
My favorite part of this:

Quote:
To draw a connection between Holmes’ killings and Nolan’s negativity requires rigorous critical thought which media pundits, quack psychologists and politicians are reluctant to do.

Actually, it's about the most simple-minded connection one could make and seems to be made more out of a lack of intelligence than made from "rigorous critical thought". I mean, seriously, how arrogant can someone be? He's essentially saying that he's made this connection and he's done so because he's so much smarter than everyone else. Aside from the arrogance, the great irony of it is that it's the most simplistic explanation possible! Does this guy have even a shred of self-awareness? Good grief. It'd be funny if he wasn't using his "intellect" to exploit what happened so he can stand on his soap box.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:58 pm
PeachyPete wrote:

Quote:
To draw a connection between Holmes’ killings and Nolan’s negativity requires rigorous critical thought which media pundits, quack psychologists and politicians are reluctant to do.

Actually, it's about the most simple-minded connection one could make and seems to be made more out of a lack of intelligence than made from "rigorous critical thought". I mean, seriously, how arrogant can someone be? He's essentially saying that he's made this connection and he's done so because he's so much smarter than everyone else. Aside from the arrogance, the great irony of it is that it's the most simplistic explanation possible! Does this guy have even a shred of self-awareness? Good grief. It'd be funny if he wasn't using his "intellect" to exploit what happened so he can stand on his soap box.

I think sociologists are reluctant to draw a line between violent media consumption and acts of violence because there simply isn't one. One person engaging in this type of shooting, out of the millions who probably saw The Dark Knight, does not exactly suggest a correlation. There are some psychologists who have shown that violent media can lead to an "aroused/aggitated" mental state in the viewer (I'm not sure that's the best way to put it in technical terms but then I'm not a psychologist) and these studies are usually put out there by an uncritical news media.

But the thing is, is that you can get a much better effect simply by smashing your finger with a hammer. Now how many people do you know who've gone on violent killing sprees after they've been making repairs to the roof?

Think about that.
-Jeremy

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:56 pm
thered47 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Quote:

I think sociologists are reluctant to draw a line between violent media consumption and acts of violence because there simply isn't one. One person engaging in this type of shooting, out of the millions who probably saw The Dark Knight, does not exactly suggest a correlation. There are some psychologists who have shown that violent media can lead to an "aroused/aggitated" mental state in the viewer (I'm not sure that's the best way to put it in technical terms but then I'm not a psychologist) and these studies are usually put out there by an uncritical news media.

But the thing is, is that you can get a much better effect simply by smashing your finger with a hammer. Now how many people do you know who've gone on violent killing sprees after they've been making repairs to the roof?

Think about that.
-Jeremy

Completely agree with all of this, and the bolded is the key point. There's nothing concrete linking anything here (both historically in various media studies and this individual instance), and it's downright absurd for people to be insisting there is. It's one thing to think there is, or might be, a correlation, but it's another thing entirely to say there is a correlation. The fact the White does the latter, and then uses that launch into a diatribe preaching about various issues he's preached about before, is pretty despicable.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:16 pm
Cinematographer

I was expecting this movie to be a total downer and went to see it reluctantly today anyway. I'll go against the grain and say that this one was better than the TDK. It wasn't as consistently brutal (at least on a one-on-one basis) and had what I thought was outstanding casting in Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. I still prefer the style of The Avengers, but this is the only one of the Nolan Batman series I've actually liked - and quite a bit at that. 8/10.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:06 pm
Quote:
It's one thing to think there is, or might be, a correlation

Well, this is all I'll claim to do at this point. I'd just like people to accept the fact that someone can be legitimately be bothered by the violence in these movies, particularly Avengers. I wish something would change, regardless of this whole incident.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:15 pm
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
It's one thing to think there is, or might be, a correlation

Well, this is all I'll claim to do at this point. I'd just like people to accept the fact that someone can be legitimately be bothered by the violence in these movies, particularly Avengers. I wish something would change, regardless of this whole incident.

I will concede that there may indeed be a link between those films and the behavior of people like Mr. Holmes. Of course, one could also draw a link between Mr. Holmes' behavior and the kind of breakfast food he had the morning of the mass shooting spree, or perhaps if a shoe lace broke. The point is that real cause of the actions of Mr. Holmes is Mr. Holmes. The only thing I would like to see change as a result of this is improvement in the way potential mental health issues are detected and dealt with so that we can avoid more instances of people snapping and going postal.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:31 pm
Director

interesting comments by Harvey

Quote:
And, unlike many in Hollywood, he was willing to acknowledge that violence in movies may exert some influence over individuals like James Holmes, who killed 12 people after opening fire at a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" last Friday.

"It’s a question that I wrestle with all the time," said Weinstein, who has produced all of director Quentin Tarantino’s blood-spattered films, including the upcoming slave-era revenge fantasy "Django Unchained." "I’ve been involved with violent movies, and then I’ve also said at a certain point, ‘I can’t take it anymore. Please cut it.’ You know, you’ve got to respect the filmmaker, and it’s a really tough issue. My heart goes out to those kids and those families."

Weinstein said he hoped that members of the Hollywood community would take this opportunity to have an honest conversation about how on-screen violence influences real-world events. "I think, as filmmakers, we should sit down – the Marty Scorseses, the Quentin Tarantinos, and hopefully all of us who deal in violence in movies – and discuss our role in that."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/2 ... ertainment

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:46 pm
calvero wrote:
interesting comments by Harvey

Quote:
And, unlike many in Hollywood, he was willing to acknowledge that violence in movies may exert some influence over individuals like James Holmes, who killed 12 people after opening fire at a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" last Friday.

"It’s a question that I wrestle with all the time," said Weinstein, who has produced all of director Quentin Tarantino’s blood-spattered films, including the upcoming slave-era revenge fantasy "Django Unchained." "I’ve been involved with violent movies, and then I’ve also said at a certain point, ‘I can’t take it anymore. Please cut it.’ You know, you’ve got to respect the filmmaker, and it’s a really tough issue. My heart goes out to those kids and those families."

Weinstein said he hoped that members of the Hollywood community would take this opportunity to have an honest conversation about how on-screen violence influences real-world events. "I think, as filmmakers, we should sit down – the Marty Scorseses, the Quentin Tarantinos, and hopefully all of us who deal in violence in movies – and discuss our role in that."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/2 ... ertainment
I think Harvey's really lost it this time, Hollywood played no such role in Holmes rampage.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:07 pm
Quote:
I think Harvey's really lost it this time, Hollywood played no such role in Holmes rampage.

Whether you think it's necessary or not, that serious conversation he's talking about could never hurt; it could only help. Personally, I don't think it could hurt for the content in a movie to be taken a little more seriously...for aesthetic reasons, even more so than moral ones. Violence is overused in mainstream movies these days, which isn't immoral so much as lazy and bland from an aesthetic point of view.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:39 pm
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

Whether you think it's necessary or not, that serious conversation he's talking about could never hurt; it could only help. Personally, I don't think it could hurt for the content in a movie to be taken a little more seriously...for aesthetic reasons, even more so than moral ones. Violence is overused in mainstream movies these days, which isn't immoral so much as lazy and bland from an aesthetic point of view.

I just don't everybody getting all censor happy for no reason, if it wasn't Dark Knight, Holesm would've founed another excuse to go on a rampage, trying to draw a link between the media and violence in real life is futile.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:38 pm
Vexer wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

I just don't everybody getting all censor happy for no reason, if it wasn't Dark Knight, Holesm would've founed another excuse to go on a rampage, trying to draw a link between the media and violence in real life is futile.

MGamesCook, a serious conversation about what? How there has never been a link established, in spite of every sociologist and their mother looking for one? Do you know who the Bloody Benders were? They were serial killers from Kansas who committed a series of brutal murders in the period of 1871-1873. When they exhumed the bodies one was of a young girl who might have been buried alive.

Obviously this was well before cinema, television, internet, video games, comic books, radio, rap music, not to mention, the vast majority of the population was practically illiterate. So tell me, how would one go about blaming the media for the killings? Time travel?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Benders

-Jeremy

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:53 pm
Quote:
So tell me, how would one go about blaming the media for the killings?

I don't care. What I care about is how shitty blockbusters have been lately, and how lazy all the action (and therefore the violence) has been. I want to see better movies and more creative direction, and constraining certain aspects of production could help with that.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:48 pm
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
So tell me, how would one go about blaming the media for the killings?

I don't care. What I care about is how shitty blockbusters have been lately, and how lazy all the action (and therefore the violence) has been. I want to see better movies and more creative direction, and constraining certain aspects of production could help with that.

I really don't see how that's going to help at all.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:57 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next