Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:43 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
THE OFFICIAL "DARK KNIGHT RISES" REVIEW THREAD 
Producer

Post THE OFFICIAL "DARK KNIGHT RISES" REVIEW THREAD
Haha, I know not being a mod or senior swinging dick on here that I may be taking a little liberty putting this thread up, but since it's only 5 days until the film and the probable ReelReviews Forum shitstorm it will provoke, I thought it would be a good idea for all to concentrate said storm onto this one here thread.

BTW it'll be Saturday before I watch it so I may avoid it until then.

Tally Ho! :D

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:40 am
Post Re: THE OFFICIAL "DARK KNIGHT RISES" REVIEW THREAD
The embargo got lifted this morning and early reviews are now starting to pop up. So far from the reviews I've seen the movie is a satisfying conclusion to Nolan's trilogy. There's no ball-dropping here like Sam Raimi and Brett Ratner did.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:08 pm
ck100 wrote:
The embargo got lifted this morning and early reviews are now starting to pop up. So far from the reviews I've seen the movie is a satisfying conclusion to Nolan's trilogy. There's no ball-dropping here like Sam Raimi and Brett Ratner did.

I thought X3 and Spider Man 3 were pretty good actually, not the greatest films but far from the worst.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:41 pm
Producer

I thought they were okay, but both suffer from major problems. Spider-Man suffered from too much. Too much plot, too many characters and thus not enough development for anyone. Also, I like Tobey Maguire, but he does some of his worst acting ever in the movie. Not just dancing, emo Peter but there is also the scene where Mary Jane "breaks up" with him. His crying was just awful.

X-Men: The Last Stand I liked a little more yet it's also the bigger disappointment. This is because it had such an awesome story and could have been a near masterpiece. But Fox foolishly rushed the movie into production instead of delaying filming to work on the script. The script was ALMOST there, but not quite. But Fox was didn't want to have to delay the movie's release date and consequently, what could have been a really great epic film, ended feeling, at best, like a cliff notes version of a great epic movie.

At 2 hours and 45 minutes, we clearly won't have that problem with The Dark Knight Rises.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 pm
Quote:
I thought X3 and Spider Man 3 were pretty good actually, not the greatest films but far from the worst.

I love X3, and though Spidey 3 was alright; I liked both far better than The Dark Knight. Let's keep an open perspective.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:36 pm
Second Unit Director

Christy Lemiere sucks.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:54 pm
I'm guessing that JB's review of TDKR will be on the site tomorrow given that the embargo has been lifted.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:11 pm
Producer

jadedmoviegoer wrote:
Christy Lemiere sucks.

She can suck me THAT is for sure! :lol:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:37 pm
Producer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
I'm guessing that JB's review of TDKR will be on the site tomorrow given that the embargo has been lifted.

He said he was watching it tomorrow morning so to expect his review by tomorrow night.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:39 pm
jadedmoviegoer wrote:
Christy Lemiere sucks.

Why does Christy Lemire suck, exactly?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:39 am
Ken wrote:
jadedmoviegoer wrote:
Christy Lemiere sucks.

Who the hell is Christy Lemire? :?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:15 am
She's a film critic. Aside from her own gig, she was handpicked by Ebert for Ebert Presents: At The Movies.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:05 am
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

I love X3, and though Spidey 3 was alright; I liked both far better than The Dark Knight. Let's keep an open perspective.

Spiderman 3 is one of the very worst films I've ever seen. I can't believe a film student would endorse something so fundamentally unwatchable. It's basically all the worst aspects of the concentration-sapping excesses of the MTV generation crudely condensed into a 2 hour mindfuck. It ranks alongside the Matrix 3 as one of the worst sequels ever made, albeit for different reasons.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:14 am
Spider Man 3 remains one of my most disappointing theater experiences ever. If I remembered correctly, it came out a week early than USA in my country, so with no reading anything about it beforehand I excitedly went on opening day. While I was watching, my feeling kept sinking and sinking (starting with the amnesia stuff), and I thought that if it would never reach the level of Spider Man 2, please at least stayed on the level of the first Spider Man. Then along came that dancing scene...

I liked X-Men 3 a bit. Its essential story and themes may be the best of the 3. But I really wished Bryan Singer hadn't abandoned it, because rewatching all 3 films closely together (in preparation for First Class) made the third one's problem of directing and pacing really stand out. It had all the ingredients to be an epic, but in the end we got just a good film. (I would rate 3 stars like James as well, but ranked it below the first and second one).

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:28 am
btw, got an opening day ticket to the best Imax place in Thailand! Excited. At 15.30, so that's like around two or three in the morning the same day there (for Minnesota time, the only time difference I know).

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:07 am
Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:
jadedmoviegoer wrote:
Christy Lemiere sucks.

Who the hell is Christy Lemire? :?

I liked her on Ebert's show, and I like reading her reviews, even if (or maybe because) I often disagree with her about the movie. Her TDKR review is well-done, I thought. Some interesting points that seem like she found it an amplification of some of Nolan's worse habits in his movies.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:20 am
Have my ticket for friday night in Imax. Bought it a few weeks ago when tickets went on sale ahead of time.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:24 am
Vexer wrote:
Who the hell is Christy Lemire?

She's nobody, now, since more negative reviews of this film have been gathered to keep her's company.

NotHughGrant wrote:
Spiderman 3 is one of the very worst films I've ever seen. I can't believe a film student would endorse something so fundamentally unwatchable.

There's nothing fundamental about its unwatchability. It's another Spider-man movie, and as such, was very disappointing. But as a 2.5 hour diversion, I'll take it any day over a number of other 2.5 hour diversions I could think of....

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:54 am
http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/dark-knight-rises-critic-receives-death-threats#.UAWJy5HleSr

How sad is it that an article like this doesn't surprise me?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:00 pm
ShrunkenHead wrote:

It's a very sad article. The writer of this film's first negative review, a woman, received both death threats and rape threats. It's not a joke anymore, and it has crossed a line to the extent where the film itself cannot be divorced from the fanboy nutjob reactions. Several friends of mine who were planning to see the midnight strongly considered canceling their tickets, since they don't want to get shot. Is this really what it's come to? What ever happened to just putting on a movie as a way to kill time for a couple hours, or just going out to the movies as a social practice? The banter emitted from Nolan's fans isn't passion for movies, it's not passion for Batman, and it may not even be passion for him. It's just sickness and insanity. It's disturbing and truly disgusting to behold. Who are these people and how can they live with themselves?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:22 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next