Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:15 am

Worst moviegoing experience? 
Post Worst moviegoing experience?
I've been pretty fortunate I guess, as I rarely run into boorish boobs who can't stop talking after the movie starts, but I know James has written several columns on this over the years. So what has been your worst experience at a film vis a vis the audience (technical problems can also fit here too)?

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:10 pm
Post Re: Worst moviegoing experience?
When I saw Mamma Mia, every time Pierce Brosnan "sang" the guy behind said several times at the top of his voice "HE CAN'T SING!"

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:29 pm
My 2 brothers and I got together to see I am Legend. An extremely rare experience, the 3 of us actually planning an event together without the help of a third party (female). So we go to this theatre about 20 minutes away, under 10 years old and a nice audio system. From the very beginning, the audio was out of whack. Then the screen goes bad. 10 minutes go by. A guy comes in (poor 16 year old kid scared half to death) and assures us the problem has been fixed. 10 minutes after that it starts again....so we get moved to another theatre. After 40 minutes we finally get started and....not a single one of us really like the movie.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:41 pm
#1 The Eye.

Two friends of mine and I were sitting in front of an annoying group of middle schoolers who decided to talk and laugh throughout the entire movie. The security guard yells at us and the people sitting behind the bothersome junior highschoolers, and is sternly talking to my friend who is genuinely creeped out by the ghosts.

#2 Quantum of Solace.

Again, a group of middle schoolers being annoying, but this time they were running all around the bottom of the theater. Needless to say, they were thankfully kicked out.

#3 The Golden Compass.

Only movie at a movie theater a friend of mine has fallen asleep at.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:06 pm
tonight at an advance screening of The Last House On The Left. I sat next to a 5 year old...

review up tomorrow.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:31 pm
The screen went white in Harry Potter when Dumbledore was talking to Harry in the hospital room. T__T Also, this didn't happen during the show, but I was waiting outside the theater with my then-girlfriend for my mother to pick us up. An escalation between two black dudes was going on to my right, in the middle of the area where you buy tickets. Eventually, one of them pulled out a gun and fired it. Silly me, I went closer as it happened, until Marisa grabbed my white ass and got us very far away from the action. My mother then called me to say that her car battery died and she can't pick me up. Panicked, I called my father to ask him for a ride, but he didn't pick up. (I later found out he left his phone in the car.) Since my parents were deemed useless, Marisa called her mother (who wasn't a fan of me at this point) to pick us up. She totally understood, but the car ride to my place was pretty uncomfortable. I didn't say anything; I guess I was taken aback by the gunshot. When I look back at the event, I definitely overreacted. However, hindsight's 20/20. For the record, this took place after viewing Children of Men. I wasn't impressed with it post-viewing; it would take another year and a half to like it as much as I do now.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:42 am
Pedro wrote:
The screen went white in Harry Potter when Dumbledore was talking to Harry in the hospital room. T__T Also, this didn't happen during the show, but I was waiting outside the theater with my then-girlfriend for my mother to pick us up. An escalation between two black dudes was going on to my right, in the middle of the area where you buy tickets. Eventually, one of them pulled out a gun and fired it. Silly me, I went closer as it happened, until Marisa grabbed my white ass and got us very far away from the action. My mother then called me to say that her car battery died and she can't pick me up. Panicked, I called my father to ask him for a ride, but he didn't pick up. (I later found out he left his phone in the car.) Since my parents were deemed useless, Marisa called her mother (who wasn't a fan of me at this point) to pick us up. She totally understood, but the car ride to my place was pretty uncomfortable. I didn't say anything; I guess I was taken aback by the gunshot. When I look back at the event, I definitely overreacted. However, hindsight's 20/20. For the record, this took place after viewing Children of Men. I wasn't impressed with it post-viewing; it would take another year and a half to like it as much as I do now.

wow! haha you've had some experiences...

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:44 am
I saw Dodgeball with a group of people in a theatre located in a section of town normally reserved for armed robberies and crack deals. During the movie, a group of girls had just seen the Lil John, Dave Chapelle skit for the first time, so they took turns leaving the theatre and shouting one of the catch phrases. This was staggered over the course of the whole movie. So randomly you would hear, "OKAY' "WHAT" "YEAAAAAAAAAAH." This happened about 15 times, because they kept coming back in and finding different seats.

Meanwhile, two guys are hasslin' each other down in the front row section, and it starts to get heated. One guy stands up and is yelling at the other, and this guy waaaaay up in the back screams "SHUT THE FUCK UP AND SIT DOWN." The two guys fighting start flipping the bird to the back, and just being belligerent. Then the guy comes barreling down the aisle, and sucker punches one of the two guys, grabs the other one by the neck and throws him down the hallway out of the theatre. People applauded that.

And then a confused 17 year old girl with a flashlight and a hat came in to assure everyone that the situation was under control.

I guess that was actually my best movie going experience, because it made the stupid film I was seeing memorable forever.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:27 am
I've generally had good movie-going experiences, but one marginal one kinda stuck out in my head. A guy and his girlfriend were talking the whole time during Lethal Weapon 4. During the scene where the crisp new counterfeit money is put into a dryer with some poker chips to give it some wear and tear, the guy behind me tells his girlfriend, "That's how they launder money!" My laughter could not be contained.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Like some others here, most have been positive but two stick out as HORRIBLE

1) Return of the King--bunch of high schoolers were assigned to watch it for a film class and had to end up at the midnight showing with me, they laughed at inappropriate times talked loudly, and started asking when it is over after the fake endings Jackson put in the movie. At one point a middle aged man wen up them and shook his fist in their faces and got an applause from everyone in the theatre

2) World Trade Center--during some of the emotional scenes while they are trapped, immature people behind me started giggling or making exclamations about the action and it really irked me.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:59 am
Director

Well mine wasn't that bad, but I decided to go see "Watchmen" with some friends this past Friday. The movie was long, dull, and very uninteresting. I had so many people say to me "you should read the graphic novel first". That's probably a good suggestion, but in my mind, I liked "Sin City", "300", and the "Batman" movies and I haven't read any of the graphic novels. Yes they're more action oriented, but I just thought Snyder did a terrible job explaining what was going on and the entire plot was way to confusing to be transferred on screen. The movie got so bad that my friends next to me basically texted during the last hour of the movie and would only look up occasionally. People left the theater 10-15 minutes before the movie ended. One of my friends tried to get into the theater before the movie began but he was five minutes late, and since it was a 10:00 showing, they locked the theater and he didn't get in. Anyways, afterwords we grabbed some pizza, we came back to our cars around 2 A.M. to discover a tow truck sitting right beside me and my friend's car. We hopped in our cars quickly, trying to avoid them, but one of the drivers shouted at us, "You leave now you go to jail!" which I'm pretty sure is 100% BS, seeing I don't think you can be charged with "avoiding tow truck driver". Anyways, they BSed us about how "they got complaints" about our two cars in the lot, when there were 100-200 packed in this lot. We figured they just saw us running to our cars and figured they could get money on the spot from us then. It worked, unfortunately. They "let us off" with a $20 buck fee even though in our minds we didn't owe them anything since they were real unclear as to why it wasn't right for us to be there. They pointed to a sign in the middle of the lot that had all the rules about parking laid out. So we pay them, then we go over to this sign, and it says you can't go outside the shopping center if your parked there. They thought we were lying about going to see the movie, but we showed them our ticket stubs and that's when they popped the "$20 and we'll call it a deal" thing, even though we had proof we were parked in the shopping center because....we were in there. So as we're checking out this sign, cursing and saying "what did we do wrong", these tow truck drivers circle the lot, then spin around back towards us, put on the gas coming right for us, then veer at the last minute glaring out their window at us. Wow, your tough.

It wasn't a "horrible" experience, but it sure was weird.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Well mine wasn't that bad, but I decided to go see "Watchmen" with some friends this past Friday. The movie was long, dull, and very uninteresting. I had so many people say to me "you should read the graphic novel first". That's probably a good suggestion, but in my mind, I liked "Sin City", "300", and the "Batman" movies and I haven't read any of the graphic novels. Yes they're more action oriented, but I just thought Snyder did a terrible job explaining what was going on and the entire plot was way to confusing to be transferred on screen. The movie got so bad that my friends next to me basically texted during the last hour of the movie and would only look up occasionally. People left the theater 10-15 minutes before the movie ended. One of my friends tried to get into the theater before the movie began but he was five minutes late, and since it was a 10:00 showing, they locked the theater and he didn't get in. Anyways, afterwords we grabbed some pizza, we came back to our cars around 2 A.M. to discover a tow truck sitting right beside me and my friend's car. We hopped in our cars quickly, trying to avoid them, but one of the drivers shouted at us, "You leave now you go to jail!" which I'm pretty sure is 100% BS, seeing I don't think you can be charged with "avoiding tow truck driver". Anyways, they BSed us about how "they got complaints" about our two cars in the lot, when there were 100-200 packed in this lot. We figured they just saw us running to our cars and figured they could get money on the spot from us then. It worked, unfortunately. They "let us off" with a $20 buck fee even though in our minds we didn't owe them anything since they were real unclear as to why it wasn't right for us to be there. They pointed to a sign in the middle of the lot that had all the rules about parking laid out. So we pay them, then we go over to this sign, and it says you can't go outside the shopping center if your parked there. They thought we were lying about going to see the movie, but we showed them our ticket stubs and that's when they popped the "$20 and we'll call it a deal" thing, even though we had proof we were parked in the shopping center because....we were in there. So as we're checking out this sign, cursing and saying "what did we do wrong", these tow truck drivers circle the lot, then spin around back towards us, put on the gas coming right for us, then veer at the last minute glaring out their window at us. Wow, your tough.

I wouldn't say that's horrible, but it sure is peculiar. I don't know, I'd be scared if some guys wanted to tow my car. And it sucks you had to cough up twenty bucks. I guess you know for next time. >.<

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:14 pm
Recent experiences:

#1,

almost got slugged, when I told a father "that was a great movie to take your 3 year old daughter to see, nice parenting!" Movie I was at was Quarntine The poor girl screamed in terror and cried for the entire film, even after I turned and looked at them several times, and even commented once during the film about are you sure you should be here with her?

#2,

Was at a showing of Charlie/Chocolate Factory ( not a very good film) , I was in a theatre filled with parents and children, they had the wrong reel on for the theatre. For those who know the movie Wedding Crashers, it opens up with the scene in the office, no credits and lots of fuck this, shit this, fuck fuck, fuck........ They had the reels swapped. You should have seen the audience and parents reactions, I really felt sorry for the parents, I would have been pretty upset too if my young daughter was with me. Parents were running out of the theatre with their hands over the childs ears, screaming, hollering and making a scene.

I knew what was going on right away since I had seen the Wedding Crashers the day before, in retrospect it was very funny in a sad sort of way, I got 4 free movies out of the deal, and all the parents got gobs of free movie passes because of the mistake, we ended up moving to the other theatre where they were expecting wedding crashers and got chocolate factory instead.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:13 pm
Commodorefirst wrote:
Recent experiences:

#1,

almost got slugged, when I told a father "that was a great movie to take your 3 year old daughter to see, nice parenting!" Movie I was at was Quarntine The poor girl screamed in terror and cried for the entire film, even after I turned and looked at them several times, and even commented once during the film about are you sure you should be here with her?

Ah ambient effects in a movie. Though you were right.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:22 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
Commodorefirst wrote:
Recent experiences:

#1,

A similar thing happened to me years ago at a viewing of The Sixth Sense. The dad was maybe 25....looked (sorry) kinda dumb and had his 4 year old boy with him. The kid is cringing in terror and after awhile I leaned over toward the guy and said, rather blandly and matter-of-factly, "You know you're probably doing permanent damage here, right?" he laughed uncomfortably (stoner laugh)...but 10 minutes later got up and left....well before the 'bodies hanging in the hallway' scene.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:55 pm
Moovy1 wrote:
mailedbypostman wrote:
Commodorefirst wrote:
Recent experiences:

#1,

A similar thing happened to me years ago at a viewing of The Sixth Sense. The dad was maybe 25....looked (sorry) kinda dumb and had his 4 year old boy with him. The kid is cringing in terror and after awhile I leaned over toward the guy and said, rather blandly and matter-of-factly, "You know you're probably doing permanent damage here, right?" he laughed uncomfortably (stoner laugh)...but 10 minutes later got up and left....well before the 'bodies hanging in the hallway' scene.

I'm assuming he took the kid with him.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:56 pm
I remember going to see the South Park movie...in the front row was a 40ish man with his five-year old daughter....seeing a movie that had to fight to avoid an NC-17.

Parents just don't care anymore...

Erik

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:14 pm
Director

Pedro wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

I wouldn't say that's horrible, but it sure is peculiar. I don't know, I'd be scared if some guys wanted to tow my car. And it sucks you had to cough up twenty bucks. I guess you know for next time. >.<

Oh yeah, the movie going part wasn't horrible at all, it was the after-effects that were weird. Yeah, dealing with two shady looking guys at 2 in the morning in a parking lot located in dark part of town. Not fun. Its weird cuz my friends always park at this lot when they go to college parties and stuff, the first time I go for just a movie, I almost get owned. Oh well, I try to look at it as "if we were 5 minutes later, our cars would've definitely been gone by then".

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Director

ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
I remember going to see the South Park movie...in the front row was a 40ish man with his five-year old daughter....seeing a movie that had to fight to avoid an NC-17.

Erik

My friend went to the showing of the "Friday the 13th" remake and said he had to sit next to a 5 year old girl....at a midnight showing!

One other instance I can recall is when I went to go see "Superbad", which starts out like the guy above said about "Wedding Crashers", lots of swearing and lots of dialogue concerning getting some. After 5 minutes a child and woman start walking up the aisle, with the child going "why can't we stay?" and the woman says "there's too much bad language sweetie." YA THINK? It is rated R, and the title of the movie is "Superbad". Parents are idiots, mine didn't let me start watching PG-13 movies until I was like 10-11. I hated it at the time, now I'm kind of thankful for it.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Quote:

Erik

Quote:
One other instance I can recall is when I went to go see "Superbad", which starts out like the guy above said about "Wedding Crashers", lots of swearing and lots of dialogue concerning getting some. After 5 minutes a child and woman start walking up the aisle, with the child going "why can't we stay?" and the woman says "there's too much bad language sweetie." YA THINK? It is rated R, and the title of the movie is "Superbad". Parents are idiots, mine didn't let me start watching PG-13 movies until I was like 10-11. I hated it at the time, now I'm kind of thankful for it.

Yes, parents are idiots these days. A new kind of idiocy. It used to be subjecting your child to different kinds of things...like when I was young...it was poker nights with rooms full of deep blue-black smoke...I remember me and my cousins making conscious decisions as 5, 6, 7 year olds, to make regular visits outside for fresh air. Ignorance. Or unattended visits to the local convenience store for milk.

Now, parents have been slowly brainwashed into thinking that everyone else is supposed to or is going to be raising their children for them. Like McDonalds, Nickelodean, Public Schools, Musicians, and Hollywood. And then they act surprised when situations like the one you described arise....

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:43 pm