Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:43 am

Worst moviegoing experience? 
Post Re: Worst moviegoing experience?
Commodorefirst wrote:
Recent experiences:

#2,

Was at a showing of Charlie/Chocolate Factory ( not a very good film) , I was in a theatre filled with parents and children, they had the wrong reel on for the theatre. For those who know the movie Wedding Crashers, it opens up with the scene in the office, no credits and lots of fuck this, shit this, fuck fuck, fuck........ They had the reels swapped. You should have seen the audience and parents reactions, I really felt sorry for the parents, I would have been pretty upset too if my young daughter was with me. Parents were running out of the theatre with their hands over the childs ears, screaming, hollering and making a scene.

I knew what was going on right away since I had seen the Wedding Crashers the day before, in retrospect it was very funny in a sad sort of way, I got 4 free movies out of the deal, and all the parents got gobs of free movie passes because of the mistake, we ended up moving to the other theatre where they were expecting wedding crashers and got chocolate factory instead.

The parents' certainly seemed to overreact here-you're going to do more "damage" if you get all hysterical about your little baby hearing naughty words (oh the horror!), than if you just calmly and slowly walk out, find the manager, and politely but firmly complain.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:51 pm
Cinematographer

And here we go...

So, I saw The Dark Knight (my favorite film of all time) at the midnight showing with my friends. Six theaters, all full, best premier ever.

About a week later, I went with my family.

Next to us in the theater were two drunken people dressed in that dumb faux-gangster dress (really big jean shorts pulled down to their ankles, shirts made for Andre the Giant, hats barely sitting on their heads - you know the ones). Throughout the entire movie, they laughed hysterically, yelled at the screen, cheered, etc. One of them even went out to buy more booze and then sneak it in. Not terrible yet.

My mom, a woman who doesn't put up with ANYTHING, is not afraid to be a total bitch in public (you know the sort), goes to get the manager. The theater sends some teen to tell them to be quiet, who trips over their empty booze bottle, and then stands at exit of the theater as some sort of watchdog, doing nothing. The drunks took no notice, but always apologized when told to shut up. The people around them were yelling at them by this point.

By the final climax of the movie, the Batman vs. Joker scene, I decided enough was enough, so I went out to talk to management and get something done. My mom came out after me, thinking that I was distressed or something (who knows...). Soon after, everyone else in the theater began to run out, all of them looking surprised, annoyed, and scared. Apparently, the guy in front of the drunks and my dad had begun to shove them out of the theater, creating an atmosphere resembling a fight to the overprotected citizens of the suburb that I live in. This is when my mom lost it. The poor manager girl was crying, the police were called... we left. During the climax.

That movie is forever ruined for them. I was lucky to see it first. My mom, whenever that movie is brought up, blames the excitement and tension of the audience members over the drunk bastards on the movie. She has now completely misinterpreted the movie and thinks that it is terrible and distressing and she will not be reasoned with.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:10 am
Wow,

that is a story, and so sad it is a true one.

The only other thing I have that could even come close would be a 8 year old peeing in the isle at a local mall theatre about 6 years ago, everyone in the theatre got up and left. Yours is a whole different level.

Sorry to hear about your situation with your mom.

Wade

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:25 am
Cinematographer

*tear* I love that movie... *tear*

Now I can only watch that movie in the confines of my bedroom... *sigh*...

Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:54 am
darthyoshi's The Dark Knight story is more a story about tolerance than anything else. For 150 minutes an entire theater full of people are witness to the drunken antics of two people and it culminates in violence only after two full hours have been spent enduring it. Whether it's The Dark Knight or The Love Guru or the latest American Pie entry the idea of sitting in the theater with live narration is intolerable... so leave. Get the money back if you can and, if you can't, call it a wash out. Why spend 2.5 hours miserable?

In any event, it sounds like the worst moviegoing experience I hope to never have.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:13 am
Opening weekend of The Departed some friends and I went to go see it at the last showing that saturday night...everything is going well...until just before the climax, the sounds cuts out completely. We go out to complain, they say they'll fix it. Manager comes in a short while later, tells us they can't fix it and the movie can't be restarted at that point in this or any of the other theatres and that we would be better off going home.

Baffled at the lack off offering to give us compensation of some sort I went right up to the manager as he started to walk out and asked him what the hell we were supposed to do about seeing the rest of the movie? He shrugs and says to come back tomorrow. I asked him if he thought that was a great way to get repeat business. THEN he offers to give tickets to people who want to come back. So only me and about 30 other people that were still there as I argued with the guy got vouchers. I never went back to that theater again though and gave the voucher to someone else.

Finally saw the whole movie when it came out on DVD. Still havn't been back to that theater.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:26 pm
Cinematographer

majoraphasia wrote:
darthyoshi's The Dark Knight story is more a story about tolerance than anything else. For 150 minutes an entire theater full of people are witness to the drunken antics of two people and it culminates in violence only after two full hours have been spent enduring it. Whether it's The Dark Knight or The Love Guru or the latest American Pie entry the idea of sitting in the theater with live narration is intolerable... so leave. Get the money back if you can and, if you can't, call it a wash out. Why spend 2.5 hours miserable?

In any event, it sounds like the worst moviegoing experience I hope to never have.

That's a good point, and I'm not sure what my parents and brother were thinking throughout the movie, but I just sat there in troubled silence, hoping that the theater management would send their bouncer in and kick the assholes out. And I was sitting next to them - there wasn't even a buffer seat, they were directly adjacent to me. And the guy in front of them would stand up periodically and yell at them, and they were always very apologetic... And then the guy right next to me asked me about 4 times what city the movie was filmed in...

Besides, I love that movie...

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:06 am
You know, I thought about my above post and started regretting having wrote it at all. I come off a bit like a prick; I thought The Dark Knight was great and, had I been in a similar situation, I'm sure I wouldn't have walked out. I would hope to get used to the idea of the drunken guys and invariably fail at that for the entire running time.

I saw Fellowship of the Ring on opening night with my brother and for those three hours waited for the guys in front of us to stop narrating, stop cursing at the screen, and stop laughing hysterically at everything. I don't possess the courage to tell people to shut it when they rightfully need to be told just that and so, should your scenario present itself in my life (for any movie, no less one I loved), I'll no doubt be staying to the end. I don't have the love of movies that so many others on this board do but it's the fact I'm a pu**y that makes me endure a bad moviegoing experience.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:42 am