Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Two-Lane Blacktop 
Post Two-Lane Blacktop
A fairly obscure movie (probably not here, though) that I watched with my brother a couple of months ago. What I enjoyed most was the commentary as they expounded wonderfully upon the reason why it was filmed the way it was filmed.

One of the user comments on IMDB called it : "A masterpiece from the criminally underrated Monte Hellman. One of the greatest road movies ever made."

Hey James B, if you're out there and you've seen this movie, would you agree with that assessment?

Has anyone else seen this and what did you think?

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:33 pm
Post Re: Two-Lane Blacktop
It was an obscure movie until Criterion Collection, almost arbitrarily, decided to release this on DVD. It was good in a late-night UHF kind of way although it reminded me, in terms of philosophy, of The Brown Bunny sans fellatio. But the laid-back, "let's have a race and wax philosophical" thing works for a 1970/71 movie... a tour of roadside America that at least mirrors the fiction (Updike, Nabokov) that all the kids are raving about.

Two-Lane Blacktop? My response: Kings of the Road. If you want to see two people drive (for three hours, no less) and wax poetic you can do no better.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:45 am
I saw this at college in about 1978/79 and it was a minor hit
It's always been atotle and film that i remeberered with some affection
Maybe that we were doing illegal things with a band called Dexys Midnight Runners for the showing!
They had not hit it big at the time
Rob

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:36 am
It's a decent film and I'd say it's worth watching but it's also overhyped by those that would lead one to believe it's a masterpiece.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:10 am
Excellent comments. Thanks for sharing. There was actually a waiting list at our local blockbuster for this movie. So I was let down a bit after viewing it. 'Starring James Taylor' is what grabbed me initially, but he was quite unremarkable in it. Oh well...

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:38 pm
My high school film teacher rented this, liked it, and never ever talked about it. He gave it 3/5 on Netflix, so I guess it didn't make much of an impression. It sounds like a similar scenario with most of the people on this board. However, it sounds like it will hit home with a certain audience, so I don't know. I doubt I'll see it anytime soon, though if I ever get money of my own, I'll buy it in an attempt to own everything that has The Criterion Collection on it. Pricey bastards.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:48 am