Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
"Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres! 
Producer

Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
its 165. and I have no doubt you'll see it in theaters (I see how your plan of 'not seeing' Looper turned out)

Well, my friend lent me a file of it so at least I didn't have to pay. As for Django, I'm sure I'll end up seeing it. I'll probably enjoy parts of it. I can hardly be sweating with excitement when Skyfall is better directed than anything Tarantino's done in his career.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement methinks!

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:45 am
Director

some reviews are out

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/django_unchained_2012/

Quote:
The anecdotal, odyssey-like structure of this long, talky saga could be considered indulgent, but Tarantino injects the weighty material with so many jocular, startling and unexpected touches that it's constantly stimulating.

-hollywood reporter

Quote:
The "D" is silent, though the name of "Django Unchained's" eponymous gunslinger sounds like a retaliatory whip across the face of white slaveholders, offering an immensely satisfying taste of antebellum empowerment packaged as spaghetti-Western homage. Christened after a coffin-toting Sergio Corbucci character who metes out bloody justice below the Mason-Dixon line, Django joins a too-short list of slaves-turned-heroes in American cinema, as this zeitgeist-shaping romp cleverly upgrades the mysterious Man in Black archetype to a formidable Black Man. Once again, Quentin Tarantino rides to the Weinsteins' rescue, delivering a bloody hilarious (and hilariously bloody) Christmas counter-programmer, which Sony will unleash abroad.

-variety

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:55 pm
Cinematographer

While it's nice to see positive reviews, I take anything said by critics of publications like Variety or the Hollywood Reporter with a grain or twenty of salt. I'm more interested in seeing what critics like JB say about the film in the days before it opens.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:30 pm
Director

Actually The Hollywood Reporter's Todd McCarthy (formerly of Variety) is one of my favorite reviewers, alongsides JB and Emanuel Levy (and to a lesser extent Jeffrey M. Anderson), so I always want to read what they have to say. Though lately McCarthy have become spoiler-friendly I tend to read just the beginning and the end of his reviews.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:28 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

MunichMan wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
From the bits of the trailer it looks as if Leonardo D.C. is finally maturing as an actor

That happened years ago! Unless you mean age-wise, which happens to every actor. Kind of inevitable.

I would take that a step further and say that it happens to every person, actor or not! ;) ;) ;)

MGamesCook wrote:
New Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8CZKbDzP1E

So...

1. Jonah Hill = WTF?
2. Sam Jackson...will anyone take this seriously?

Just saw this comment now and I realize that I may be a little late to the party but nonetheless I feel that I must interject my feelings here. First off, about the casting of Jonah Hill, let's not forget that Tarantino usually has pretty good instincts about connecting actors to suitable roles and even his occasional "stunt-casting" has usually paid off (did anyone really think that Brad Pitt would ever be a good choice for the lead in a QT film until Inglourious Basterds came along to prove us all wrong?). In fact, perhaps the only times when the acting in Tarantino's films doesn't work all that well is when he's the one doing it himself. At any rate, chances are that whatever role Hill is playing will fit him like a surgical glove. Plus, he has shown more recently that he's capable of doing serious roles so maybe this casting choice is not as far afield as it might seem at first (kinda wish that Joseph Gordon Levitt could've stayed in the cast though and I'm thinking that Hill got the part that he was supposed to have initially).

Second, why wouldn't anyone take Samuel L. Jackson seriously in a QT film? I think it's been made abundantly clear over the years that these two men understand each other perfectly. If any director, other than maybe Spike Lee, has consistently brought out the best in Jackson, it has to be Tarantino. It's like the man said himself once, "At the end of the day, there is no one out there who can deliver my dialogue better than him [Jackson]." Wish I could remember exactly where I heard or read that quote but I digress. The point is, I'm sure that this will be another winner for both men.

Last edited by oafolay on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:52 am
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
let's not forget that Tarantino usually has pretty good instincts about connecting actors to suitable roles and even his occasional "stunt-casting" has usually paid off

If you want to like it, I'm sure you will.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:49 am
Second Unit Director

If you want to hate it, I'm sure you will too :P

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:25 am
oafolay wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
From the bits of the trailer it looks as if Leonardo D.C. is finally maturing as an actor

That happened years ago! Unless you mean age-wise, which happens to every actor. Kind of inevitable.

Nope, I meant that Leo D.C. somehow always looks a little uncomfortable and slightly wooden in his roles. At least in the Trailer he seems surprisingly comfortable playing an excentric a-hole complete with fake southern accent, well out of his usual comfort zone. Of course he improved over the last years, but I wouldn't call him a fine actor or versatile. Seems he managed some sort of leap now. Perhaps Tarantino is what Leo D.C. needed to "loosen up" and mature (= improving with age, rather than just aging).

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:43 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
let's not forget that Tarantino usually has pretty good instincts about connecting actors to suitable roles and even his occasional "stunt-casting" has usually paid off

If you want to like it, I'm sure you will.

Wow, what a well thought-out reply! All I was trying to do was offer a thoughful response to your queries and the best you can do is dig into your usual bag of glib one-liners. Just clever, dude! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:50 am
Profile WWW
Director

B- from EW

Time: 'Django Unchained is pure, if not great, Tarantino.'

5 top critic reviews are up

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/django_ ... op_critics

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:28 pm
Director

Quote:
Wow, what a well thought-out reply! All I was trying to do was offer a thoughful response to your queries and the best you can do is dig into your usual bag of glib one-liners. Just clever, dude!

Didn't know what else to say. Your post was predicated on the idea that most of Tarantino's older movies are loved by everyone around here, which already isn't true. What I would say about Jackson and Hill is that their casting, and performances based on the trailer, seem far too narcississtic on Tarantino's part. Way too self-congratulatory, for lack of a better term. How could QT do it better? I'm not sure. All I know is, I don't go to the movies to see a director hugging/high-fiving himself or his actors.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:18 pm
Producer

I get that point, but what about Adam Sandler?

His films are all about him and his buddies high-fiving and ass-slapping each other at the viewer's expense.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:09 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
I get that point, but what about Adam Sandler?

His films are all about him and his buddies high-fiving and ass-slapping each other at the viewer's expense.

Ah. Interesting point. The thing there though is that that's just him and his buddies being themselves, dickin around, just trying to entertain in any way they can. The difference is that they know exactly what they're doing at any given time. With Tarantino's movies...honestly, I'm not so sure. Having actors say lines in front of a camera is different from putting an actor in situations which they understand, relate to, and know how to play. Does Tarantino do that? I think it's up for debate. But there are times when I really do wonder if Brad Pitt knows what the heck is going on. I can tell you that Gary Oldman has no clue what's going on in any of the Dark Knight films; no clue. You can see it in his eyes. Complete emptiness. You gotta remember that these guys are on 4 hour blows, and some level they're always just waiting for the lunch break. Watch one of these movies with that in mind, also keeping in mind the methods behind the shots, and you'll see what I mean, I think.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:44 am
Producer

I'm not sure if I get your point fully, but the jist of acting remains pretending to be someone else. Often someone completely different, who lived in different circumstances in a different age.

As for QT, I think he's good at getting a natural rhythm out of his actors. Pulp Fiction for instance, everyone looks uber-comfortable in their roles. Completely involved and in control. Remember that early QT was a direct retort to 80s films and their platform game type rigid "progression" of plot at the expense of all else.

QT's influence on film is a good topic for debate. I think his best work is sublime, the unfortunate side of him is all the shitty clones he inspired - people who seem to completely miss the point. Perhaps it's a cruel irony that a great film maker leaves a poor legacy, but this irony isn't confined to film. Anyone who follows a sport team across a period of years can attest to seeing their team try and fail to replace an irreplaceble player to the exclusion of other, just as important, considerations.

I know (and I'm not provoking an arguement here) that White doesn't like QT and that this influences your opinions of him. But this ignores the fact that QT's intervention into early 90s film making was important and necessary. White calls it an injection of nihilsm into film making, and perhaps to a social conservative kind of fellow there is an element of truth to that. But as a film maker QT restored the art of conversation and wit, and yes, even a degree of humanity.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:33 am
Director

Quote:
I'm not sure if I get your point fully, but the jist of acting remains pretending to be someone else. Often someone completely different, who lived in different circumstances in a different age.

My main point I guess is that I disagree with this statement. I think acting is reacting, and I think the best acting is when the actor comes closest to being themselves. Or when they find a new part of themself that they didn't know they had before. Pretending to be someone else isn't acting to me; not by itself anyway; it's just mugging. There's a difference between when an actor is engaged in the drama of the scene, and in their interaction with another person, and when they're just on autopilot. Watch the actors in all these big event movies. They're all on autopilot, delivering all their lines the same way. Heath Ledger is entertaining as the Joker. But you can't deny the fact that once he forms the joker's behavior, he switches to automatic. He doesn't react to anything, and I don't believe he's thinking too specifically about what his character is saying. That was the problem with Brosnan too. There were times when his performance was as static and unvarying as the figure you controlled in the videogame.

Same with Gary Oldman in Dark Knight. Does that guy never smile? His forehead is stuck in an eternal scowl; like a statue, not a person. Downey thinks that every line he says as Tony Stark is a joke, even if he's talking about something serious. That's why in The Avengers, there's no real sense that people are actually talking to each other or interacting. They're just giant toys with buttons being pressed. Does Pitt ever take the smug look off his face in Basterds? Or Waltz for that matter? Travolta in Pulp Fiction hardly ever stops being smug. BUT, Tarantino gives him something to react when Uma Therman ODs. He's lost sight of that sort of thing, I think.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:34 am
Producer

Well Oldman in TDK series is portrayed as an oppressed, morally conservative "good" cop in a rotten town. You might think this is an unoriginal characterisation, and you might be correct, but plenty of people in real life carry fixed expressions. Come visit the North of England, you won't be let down.

Pitt in Basterds is a characature, yes. I don't think it's a bad performance as such, but he does look shoehorned in.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:34 am
Cinematographer

I think Pitt's performance in Basterds is one of his best. He's pure caricature on the surface, but there's a bunch of small, subtle moments where you can see the real Aldo bubble to the surface. He's got to play his badass, hero role, and there's no room for real humanity in that role. Take the Bear Jew scene where he kind of looks around and has a "I've seen this song and dance 1000 times" look on his face.

In their own way, many of the characters in the movie are doing the same. They're playing roles assigned to them by their circumstances. It's part of the whole legend/myth comment Tarantino is interested in making with the movie. It's why Landa completely turns his back on all of it at the end of the movie.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:45 am
Producer

Pitt will never top Tyler Durden. :)

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:19 am
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Pitt will never top Tyler Durden. :)

Well played, sir. Well played.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:30 pm
Director

Quote:
You might think this is an unoriginal characterisation, and you might be correct, but plenty of people in real life carry fixed expressions.

Most of those people aren't actors. If they are, they're bad ones. Not saying Oldman is a bad actor. He didn't get a chance to act in that movie.

My problem is, Pitt never gets a chance to react to anything in that movie. He's always grinning. There's one scene where he's not (interrogation of the girl), and there his expression never changes either. It's fixed into a scowl. That's not acting in my book. Acting is reacting. Watch Pitt's reaction to the death of Patroclus in Troy; now that's acting.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:24 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next