Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:02 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
"Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres! 
Cinematographer

Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
This is why we can still enjoy Nolan's films even though there are plot holes in them or why we could still enjoy Basterds even though Hitler dies in a theater instead of in his Berlin bunker.

Well, speak for yourself on this one.

Touche, as I will acknowledge that everyone's tastes are different for various reasons. Some people don't mind holes/inaccuracies as long as the story is compelling and characters are interesting, while others cannot get immersed because of those inaccuracies/holes. For me, it depends on how much the film is focused on being consistent or accurate.

Tarantino's films have always been focused on dialogue and character development, so the plot elements themselves have never really been important. A great example is the briefcase in Pulp Fiction- it doesn't matter what the hell was inside of it, since it wasn't a central focus of the film at all.

MGamesCook wrote:
Tell that to the people who predicted an oscar for Daniel Day Lewis based only on a photo. Were they wrong for doing so? In that particular case, no, because let's face it; DDL will probably get a nomination, which we've expected from the start. I don't see why the same mentality shouldn't apply to Django, especially when Tarantino's last film got an acting oscar.

You seem to be assuming that the Oscars are some sort of award that is automatically indicative of a film's artistic merit, when we all pretty much know that it's an industry award driven by the politics within the Academy. In any case, it doesn't change my point that a film is better judged after viewing it than before.

MGamesCook wrote:
The movie seems to take place during the era of slavery, yet also includes several shots of the KKK.

It's possible that the notion of wearing hoods to terrorize uppity black folk occurred to white people before it was codified in some sort of organization. Even if it's inaccurate, it still doesn't necessarily detract from enjoyment of the film if it's not the focus of said film, as my first point above is stating.

MGamesCook wrote:
Yeah. It's weird, because I think Jackson would actually be more suited to the role of a badass bounty hunter.

Weird, I can get- but again, let's see how it pans out before we skewer the idea completely, hmm?

MGamesCook wrote:
[Basterds had a lot of surprise going for it. No one new about Hans Landa until shortly before the film opened, and people didn't expect the Hitler thing. I wonder if Tarantino has any tricks like that up his sleeve this time.

The whole idea of a black bounty hunter operating in the American South during the century of the Civil War seems like it's stretching history to me already. If it's an homage to blaxploitation, then it could work, though.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 pm
Director

Quote:
Quentin Tarantino has no hard feelings towards Will Smith after the movie star walked away from his western "Django Unchained," insisting he had a fun weekend trying to persuade the "Men in Black" star to sign on. Tarantino eventually cast Jamie Foxx as Django in the upcoming movie, but he admits Smith was the initial frontrunner for the role -- and the two movie buffs met up to discuss the film shortly after Tarantino had written it.

The director tells Playboy magazine, "We spent quite a few hours together over a weekend when he was in New York doing 'Men in Black 3.' We went over the script and talked it out. I had a good time -- he's a smart, cool guy." The filmmaker insists the movie's controversial subject matter -- slavery -- was not what turned Smith off. He explains, "He didn't walk away from it because he was scared of the material. It just wasn't 100 percent right, and we didn't have time to try to make it that way.

"We left with me saying, 'Look, I'm going to see other people.' He said, 'Let me just see how I feel, and if you don't find anybody, let's talk again.' And then I found my guy." Tarantino also tells the men's magazine that he met with Tyrese Gibson, Terrence Howard, Idris Elba, Chris Tucker and Michael K. Williams, but he cast Foxx because "he was the cowboy." He adds, "Jamie understood the material. ... He's from Texas. We sat there talking, and I realized, 'Wow, if this were the 1960s and I was casting a 'Django' western TV show...' and they had black guys as stars of those in the 1960s, I could see Jamie on one of those. And that's what I was looking for, a Clint Eastwood."

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.as ... r-mov-news

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:49 pm
Director

Quote:
The longest hold-out of the awards season, "Django Unchained," finally screened for an audience that was allowed to publish their reactions, and the response should please anyone who has been dying for the latest effort from Quentin Tarantino.

Audience members at a Directors Guild of America screening over the weekend enthusiastically tweeted their thoughts after an early screening of "Django Unchained," which they praised highly for its humor, violence, and action. That sounds about right.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2012/12/03/dj ... y-reviews/

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:32 pm
Cinematographer

calvero wrote:
Quote:
The longest hold-out of the awards season, "Django Unchained," finally screened for an audience that was allowed to publish their reactions, and the response should please anyone who has been dying for the latest effort from Quentin Tarantino.

Audience members at a Directors Guild of America screening over the weekend enthusiastically tweeted their thoughts after an early screening of "Django Unchained," which they praised highly for its humor, violence, and action. That sounds about right.

I was always going to see this film because it was made by a director who I consider to be one of the best of his generation and beyond, one whose films will be remembered decades from now. It's still nice to see it getting positive buzz early, though. Will Smith made a huge @#$#@#$ mistake saying "No." to this project, IMO.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:52 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
calvero wrote:
Quote:

I was always going to see this film because it was made by a director who I consider to be one of the best of his generation and beyond, one whose films will be remembered decades from now. It's still nice to see it getting positive buzz early, though. Will Smith made a huge @#$#@#$ mistake saying "No." to this project, IMO.

I guess he didn't want to do another western after "Wild Wild West"(which even he admitted wasn't a very good movie) which is understandable, and if Smith was in the role some people might have a tough time taking him seriously, I love Smith but I could never quite picture him as Django, Foxx just feels like a better fit for the role. Smith also turned down the role of Neo in the Matrix, saying he "couldn't quite see himself" in that role.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:57 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Will Smith made a huge @#$#@#$ mistake saying "No." to this project, IMO.

I guess he didn't want to do another western after "Wild Wild West"(which even he admitted wasn't a very good movie) which is understandable, and if Smith was in the role some people might have a tough time taking him seriously, I love Smith but I could never quite picture him as Django, Foxx just feels like a better fit for the role. Smith also turned down the role of Neo in the Matrix, saying he "couldn't quite see himself" in that role.

The difference here is that Smith would have been working with Tarantino rather than chumps like Sonnenfeld or the Wachowski Brothers. Moreover, he was Tarantino's first choice for the role, which means that it was likely tailored for him by Quentin in the screenplay. Like I said, Smith made a big fucking mistake saying "No." to working with Tarantino. His loss will be Foxx's gain.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:14 pm
Second Unit Director

I agree with Vexer that I don't really see Will Smith as a match for the part. At the very least he'd be playing against type, as DiCaprio seems to be doing. Will Smith to me is a leading actor, and skirts by through most of his roles by his image. Will Smith only really plays Will Smith, and I doubt he'd want to take on a role that didn't fit that mold. Foxx is more of a character actor, with an edge that seems more appropriate to the character of Django.

I don't think it was a bad decision on behalf of Will Smith to turn down the role. He knows what roles suit him, and clearly picks his parts carefully.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:18 pm
Cinematographer

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
I agree with Vexer that I don't really see Will Smith as a match for the part. At the very least he'd be playing against type, as DiCaprio seems to be doing. Will Smith to me is a leading actor, and skirts by through most of his roles by his image. Will Smith only really plays Will Smith, and I doubt he'd want to take on a role that didn't fit that mold. Foxx is more of a character actor, with an edge that seems more appropriate to the character of Django.

I don't think it was a bad decision on behalf of Will Smith to turn down the role. He knows what roles suit him, and clearly picks his parts carefully.

I can get why Smith wouldn't want to play the role, but it really makes me respect him less as an actor. As I said in my last post: Tarantino made Smith his first choice for the role, which means that he likely wrote the role specifically with him in mind. But even if he didn't, the simple fact is that Smith chose to turn down the chance to work with one of the great directors in cinema. Is he afraid of being taken seriously as an actor? That decision is starting to make me think he is.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:22 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Awkward Beard Man wrote:

I can get why Smith wouldn't want to play the role, but it really makes me respect him less as an actor. As I said in my last post: Tarantino made Smith his first choice for the role, which means that he likely wrote the role specifically with him in mind. But even if he didn't, the simple fact is that Smith chose to turn down the chance to work with one of the great directors in cinema. Is he afraid of being taken seriously as an actor? That decision is starting to make me think he is.
It could have something to do with the fact that Smith's other attempts at drama weren't very succesful or well received and maybe he didn't feel that he could possibly do the role of Django justice regardless whether Tarantino had him in mind or not, sometimes the first choice isn't always the best choice(for example: John Wayne was the original choice for Dirty Harry, but turned down the role, and Eastwood stepped in and did the role so well that it's difficult to imagine Wayne doing the role nearly as well) so I do not think Smith made a mistake at all. Foxx is simply better suited for these types of dramatic roles then Smith is, I for one respect Smith's decision to turn down the role.

As for who he'd rather work with, well it depends on which directors actors get along with better, actors won't necessarily want to work with critically acclaimed directors over not-so-famous ones if the former is more unpleasant to be around(James Cameron and David O Russell being prime examples of acclaimed directors who are a nightmare to work with)Smith's familiar with Sonnenfield and just because you think he's crap dosen't mean everyone else does, so it makes sense for Smith to work with him.

Like Akward said, it's hard to see Smith doing this role without thinking of his other films, he was not very convincing in Seven Pounds, his last attempt at drama(though to be fair that film had plenty of other problems) Foxx has delivered amazing dramatic performances in films like Ray and Collateral, so he's a more natural fit for Django.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 pm
Director

Looks like the runtime is 165 mins(Basterds was 153)

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:10 pm
Director

calvero wrote:

Imdb still says 141, which I can deal with. 165 might have me waiting for home viewing.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:40 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
calvero wrote:

Imdb still says 141, which I can deal with. 165 might have me waiting for home viewing.

Psh, it just means more film to love if it's as good as I think it will be.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 pm
Director

Quote:
mdb still says 141, which I can deal with. 165 might have me waiting for home viewing.

its 165. and I have no doubt you'll see it in theaters (I see how your plan of 'not seeing' Looper turned out)

Quote:
Earlier this year there were rumors that Quentin Tarantino's slavery Western "Django Unchained" was running over three hours. Given the screenplay was around 170 pages, this wasn't entirely a surprise, and test screenings essentially confirmed the unofficial running time. But then Tarantino himself recently said he didn't want the movie to be over three hours long and had been wrestling with whiddling his latest epic down to size.

Screenings are taking place this weekend for press and it looks like the film is finally locked. Exhibitor Relations confirms the final running time, which is now exactly 2hrs 45mins 11secs. Poor Variety Philistines. Betweeen "The Hobbit," "Zero Dark Thirty," "Les Miserables" and 'Django,' this month is going to be their own personal butt-numb-athon (all are over two and a half hours approx).

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... t-20121201

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:06 pm
Cinematographer

calvero wrote:
Quote:
mdb still says 141, which I can deal with. 165 might have me waiting for home viewing.

its 165. and I have no doubt you'll see it in theaters (I see how your plan of 'not seeing' Looper turned out)

Quote:
Earlier this year there were rumors that Quentin Tarantino's slavery Western "Django Unchained" was running over three hours. Given the screenplay was around 170 pages, this wasn't entirely a surprise, and test screenings essentially confirmed the unofficial running time. But then Tarantino himself recently said he didn't want the movie to be over three hours long and had been wrestling with whiddling his latest epic down to size.

Screenings are taking place this weekend for press and it looks like the film is finally locked. Exhibitor Relations confirms the final running time, which is now exactly 2hrs 45mins 11secs. Poor Variety Philistines. Betweeen "The Hobbit," "Zero Dark Thirty," "Les Miserables" and 'Django,' this month is going to be their own personal butt-numb-athon (all are over two and a half hours approx).

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... t-20121201

It seems like all of Tarantino's movies come in really lengthy and then need to be cut down. After watching the director's roundtable Ken posted in another thread, it's unsurprsing. Tarantino says he writes his movies like a novel he could publish and then sets about adapting it and cutting things out. It's an interesting way to work and seems like it could be one of the reasons his movies usually need to be edited after the fact.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:48 pm
Director

Quote:
he whole idea of a black bounty hunter operating in the American South during the century of the Civil War seems like it's stretching history to me already

Quentin sort of bristles when Stern calls 'Django' a fantasy in this interview(from yesterday)
"this isn't alternative history"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVo8WfALdaY&list=UL

Stern also asks QT about that ugly Indian chick who blogged about him sucking on her toes last year. lol

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:29 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
It seems like all of Tarantino's movies come in really lengthy and then need to be cut down. After watching the director's roundtable Ken posted in another thread, it's unsurprsing. Tarantino says he writes his movies like a novel he could publish and then sets about adapting it and cutting things out. It's an interesting way to work and seems like it could be one of the reasons his movies usually need to be edited after the fact.

I was gonna say the same Pete. And after him saying he's gonna stop making movies (in that roundtable), I wlecome a 3 hour cut of Django. Soak up as much Quentin while he's still making them.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:00 pm
Director

Quote:

Well, my friend lent me a file of it so at least I didn't have to pay. As for Django, I'm sure I'll end up seeing it. I'll probably enjoy parts of it. I can hardly be sweating with excitement when Skyfall is better directed than anything Tarantino's done in his career.

Perhaps my problem is that I'm too locked in to idealist fantasies I have about what movies should be. The only thing I care about is direction; mostly for the sake of direction itself. Writing, Acting, Photography, etc. don't interest me except in their relation to direction. I feel that Tarantino is too obsessed with bringing iconic characters (iconic in his own mind) to life, which has nothing to do with direction. With a film like Skyfall, it's easy for me to fall under the spell that's being cast and to let go of my cynical desire to be judging the aesthetics at all times. A movie like Basterds can't do that for me because I'm always one step ahead of what it's trying to do. Obviously Landa is looking for the hidden Jews, and will find them. Obviously, this scene will end with death by baseball bat. Obviously, the theater will be blown up, one way or the other. Scenes used to establish character are far too obvious in their intent and purpose. With Skyfall, I don't even think about Bardem's establishment because I'm too worried about his relationship to M and his inappropriate advances on Bond.

You need that extra force of things to pump a movie forward. Otherwise it falls flat. It's not that Tarantino doesn't know how to provide that force. I think he simply doesn't want it. It would interfere too much with the bad-assity of his characters. The job of an auteur, IMO, is not to impose self-invented standards of what a movie should be. It's to strive to reach the standard of what any good movie should be. A director's personal touches take care of themselves. Just my opinion.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:07 am
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:

Frankly, I think that Tarantino is very ill-disciplined and doesn't know how to structure his movies. He seems to be too much in love with particular scenes and ideas, which he should get rid of in editing to make tighter movies. This applies to pretty much everything he's done since "Jackie Brown". I would love it if he would make an adaptation of a book or work with a relatively strict formula. He could make a fatastic James Bond movie, for instance.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:58 am
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
Scenes used to establish character are far too obvious in their intent and purpose. With Skyfall, I don't even think about Bardem's establishment because I'm too worried about his relationship to M and his inappropriate advances on Bond.

But isn't that because an earlier scene used to establish Bardem's character was well done? I mean, his relationship to M and his advanes on Bond are how his character is established (amongst other things).

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:18 am
Director

PeachyPete wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Scenes used to establish character are far too obvious in their intent and purpose. With Skyfall, I don't even think about Bardem's establishment because I'm too worried about his relationship to M and his inappropriate advances on Bond.

But isn't that because an earlier scene used to establish Bardem's character was well done? I mean, his relationship to M and his advanes on Bond are how his character is established (amongst other things).

Sure. It's little things like that which establish his character. The Bond team has always had a sense for how to add significance to little details. Tarantino just doesn't have that sense. He focuses on big things only, which makes it hard to impart visual rhythm to the proceedings. His characters' words just don't seem to match their actions. Too often they tend to stand and deliver, rather than act. Too many people think that action and dialogue are unreconcilable, opposing forces. The great directors know how to meld them into one cohesive force. For one small example, the walk and talk scene between Bond and Tanner when he arrives back at base. Then their dialogue continues into the action, the montage of Bond working out. For maybe a sharper example, watch how Mendes presents the action in the Macau casino simply in terms of being an interruption to his stealthy interactions with Eve. One is inseparable from the other.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:24 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next