Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:22 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
"Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres! 
Author Message
Post "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
Lower resolution version has leaked already: http://www.criticspeak.com/new-trailer-django-unchained/.

HD version should go up on Fandango this evening.

So... What does everybody think? Certainly looks like classic Tarantino.


Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:27 pm
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
Tarantino is the one director whose films I will always check out regardless of what critics say beforehand, not that he's made a film that critics really hated (at least solo). The trailer certainly played up the blaxploitation aspect of the film, and I think that Foxx is a great choice for the role. I'm also glad to see Waltz working with Tarantino again, especially after his role in the crapfest known as The Green Hornet. Count me in.


Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:34 pm
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 am
Posts: 423
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
Color me excited


Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:18 pm
Profile
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
Honestly? I thought the trailer fairly generic and it did not at all add to my excitement. That said, the IB trailer left me the least excited for any QT movie ever and that turned out to be one of his better movies. Trailers probably wouldn't do any Tarantino movie justice....


Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:37 pm
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
ed_metal_head wrote:
Honestly? I thought the trailer fairly generic and it did not at all add to my excitement. That said, the IB trailer left me the least excited for any QT movie ever and that turned out to be one of his better movies. Trailers probably wouldn't do any Tarantino movie justice....

This is probably because Tarantino films are less about big explosions and fancy visual effects (when there are any at all) and more about characters and dialogue. It's difficult for even the most outre movie ad exec to come up with a trailer that could make a Tarantino film look exciting in the sense that the average movie-goer would think of.


Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:53 pm
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2092
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
OK, OK, QT, I'm there. He certainly knows how to get your attention.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:43 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 373
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
As odd as it may seem, I've never felt more excited after watching a trailer. The trailer certainly has Tarantino written all over it. And Christoph Waltz sounds just like he did in Inglorious Basterds so, count me in.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:17 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1478
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
having read the script, I think the casting of DiCaprio is pretty odd, the character was described as a ugly looking dude in his 50s. Guess Tarantino caved into studio pressure.


Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:22 pm
Profile
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
calvero wrote:
having read the script, I think the casting of DiCaprio is pretty odd, the character was described as a ugly looking dude in his 50s. Guess Tarantino caved into studio pressure.


Well for me Tarantino somehow looks like someone who doesn't suffer (visibly) from studio meddling. Perhaps he always did and knew how to work around the problem. He pulls off the "Nobody messes with me, I'm a loose cannon - and everyone I hang around with will confirm that!" - image very, very well.

Then again: Brad Pitt in IB seemed like a studio choice - but Tarantino made the movie happen. From the bits of the trailer it looks as if Leonardo D.C. is finally maturing as an actor and Tarantino again makes it happen. Leo looks like he pulls off the flamboyant southerner in the late 19th century very well.

Yes I agree: there is something a litle "tame" about the trailer. Is the German bounty hunter really just helping the slave getting his revenge? Sure he has his own agenda (getting the KKK guys?). Otherweise the movie would be a little boring, no? But anyway: the two leads are simply great actors - can't go wrong with them.

BTW: is that Franco Nero, the original Django, beside Jamie Foxx in the last shot?


Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:59 pm
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 424
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
It's from Tarantino. That will do. I don't even have to see the trailer because there are some directors who I know cannot make a film that I won't adore. Tarantino is one of them. The trailer looks like classic Tarantino. Juicy dialogues delivered by actors who do them justice. Quentin was cruelly robbed of the big 3 of Oscars (Director, Writing, Film) in 2009 when he made easily the best film of the year. Let's see how he fares this time around.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
Threeperf35 wrote:
From the bits of the trailer it looks as if Leonardo D.C. is finally maturing as an actor


That happened years ago! Unless you mean age-wise, which happens to every actor. Kind of inevitable.


Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:22 pm
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
It's from Tarantino. That will do. I don't even have to see the trailer because there are some directors who I know cannot make a film that I won't adore. Tarantino is one of them. The trailer looks like classic Tarantino. Juicy dialogues delivered by actors who do them justice. Quentin was cruelly robbed of the big 3 of Oscars (Director, Writing, Film) in 2009 when he made easily the best film of the year. Let's see how he fares this time around.

Robbed in 2009? I'd say 1994 was a bigger example of award larceny for Tarantino.


Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:16 pm
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
MunichMan wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
From the bits of the trailer it looks as if Leonardo D.C. is finally maturing as an actor


That happened years ago! Unless you mean age-wise, which happens to every actor. Kind of inevitable.


Hmm. It's kind of inevitable that actors are getting better (mature as I mentioned it also means better) with age? I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Here goes my humble opinion:
Jodie Foster - she was great from he start. No need to "mature".
Michael J. Fox - just great in anything from the word "go" (except perhaps being miscast in Casualties Of War).
Cary Elwes - let's face it: he has gotten worse over time. He was so brilliant in his early movies.

I could go on.....


Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:50 pm
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2092
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
It's from Tarantino. That will do. I don't even have to see the trailer because there are some directors who I know cannot make a film that I won't adore. Tarantino is one of them. The trailer looks like classic Tarantino. Juicy dialogues delivered by actors who do them justice. Quentin was cruelly robbed of the big 3 of Oscars (Director, Writing, Film) in 2009 when he made easily the best film of the year. Let's see how he fares this time around.


Well, he did do Death Proof. This one looks terrific, and he has Waltz, Foxx, Di Caprio, not to mention the gorgeous Kerry Washington.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:45 am
Profile
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
Syd Henderson wrote:
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
It's from Tarantino. That will do. I don't even have to see the trailer because there are some directors who I know cannot make a film that I won't adore. Tarantino is one of them. The trailer looks like classic Tarantino. Juicy dialogues delivered by actors who do them justice. Quentin was cruelly robbed of the big 3 of Oscars (Director, Writing, Film) in 2009 when he made easily the best film of the year. Let's see how he fares this time around.


Well, he did do Death Proof. This one looks terrific, and he has Waltz, Foxx, Di Caprio, not to mention the gorgeous Kerry Washington.

Death Proof was a good film- it was just one that mainstream audiences didn't get into for some reason. It's not the first time that a film that was critically-acclaimed failed to do well at the box office.


Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:49 am
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
Threeperf35 wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
From the bits of the trailer it looks as if Leonardo D.C. is finally maturing as an actor


That happened years ago! Unless you mean age-wise, which happens to every actor. Kind of inevitable.


Hmm. It's kind of inevitable that actors are getting better (mature as I mentioned it also means better) with age? I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Here goes my humble opinion:
Jodie Foster - she was great from he start. No need to "mature".
Michael J. Fox - just great in anything from the word "go" (except perhaps being miscast in Casualties Of War).
Cary Elwes - let's face it: he has gotten worse over time. He was so brilliant in his early movies.

I could go on.....


No, I just meant that all actors get older (thus "more mature"). Time does that.


Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:23 am
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 424
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Robbed in 2009? I'd say 1994 was a bigger example of award larceny for Tarantino.
Yup, 1994 is another one. But 2009 is still fresh in my memory. How THL pipped IB to all of the major awards will remain a mystery to me? It was a perfectly functional action film. I remember thinking at the time what was so special about the writing in THL. With IB Tarantino had re-written our history in style and the film as a whole won only one award. That pissed me off at the time and it does now too. Very few writers can match Tarantino.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1717
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
New Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8CZKbDzP1E

So...

1. Jonah Hill = WTF?
2. Sam Jackson...will anyone take this seriously?

Honestly, I haven't read the script. I know a lot of others have. Maybe they can clarify: how does this movie compare to Basterds in terms of seriousness vs. comedy? Looks like an awkward mix thus far. Also, what is Tarantino trying to do? A critique of the western genre, a commentary on slavery or racism, or is he just catering to his fanbase (who were happy to applaud when the trailer came on before Rises; never mind that they were clapping to black people being dragged through the sand).

Aside from Tarantino's fanbase, what does this movie really have going for it? Its production value looks minimal compared to Lincoln. I don't see one performance in Django that has a shot at an Oscar nom, whereas Lincoln already has two shoe-ins at least. Django has a script that apparently everyone and their mother has read, though I haven't seen anyone express that much excitement for it. Finally, Django has a director who said he will retire at 60 to write film books. So if he was already the same as Spielberg right now, I guess he would compete with Lincoln by way of an autobiographical demonstration of how auteur theory applies to himself.

And wait one goddamn second. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the KKK formed AFTER slavery had been abolished? Is it possible that Tarantino will make an even greater fool out of himself than Griffith did in 1915?


Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:57 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 556
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
MGamesCook wrote:
So...
1. Jonah Hill = WTF?
2. Sam Jackson...will anyone take this seriously?

1. Hmm, perhaps you should see what kind of role Mr.Hill has as well as what size said role is before judging?
2. I'm not sure what you mean with this statement. Perhaps you're referring to Mr.L. Jackson looking like he's playing the role of the proverbial "Uncle Tom negro" in the trailer? If so, then my advice to you from #1 would still stand. After all, trailers can be misleading sometimes, but even if they aren't...

MGamesCook wrote:
Honestly, I haven't read the script. I know a lot of others have. Maybe they can clarify: how does this movie compare to Basterds in terms of seriousness vs. comedy? Looks like an awkward mix thus far. Also, what is Tarantino trying to do? A critique of the western genre, a commentary on slavery or racism, or is he just catering to his fanbase (who were happy to applaud when the trailer came on before Rises; never mind that they were clapping to black people being dragged through the sand).

The film looks to me like another homage to blaxploitation flicks of the '70's and '60's, a genre which lends itself almost automatically to commentaries on slavery/racism in the U.S. Also, who said that Tarantino meant this film to be some sort of direct follow-up to Basterds or that it needs to be compared to such?

MGamesCook wrote:
Aside from Tarantino's fanbase, what does this movie really have going for it? Its production value looks minimal compared to Lincoln. I don't see one performance in Django that has a shot at an Oscar nom, whereas Lincoln already has two shoe-ins at least. Django has a script that apparently everyone and their mother has read, though I haven't seen anyone express that much excitement for it. Finally, Django has a director who said he will retire at 60 to write film books. So if he was already the same as Spielberg right now, I guess he would compete with Lincoln by way of an autobiographical demonstration of how auteur theory applies to himself.

Sometimes, it can be hard for me to take you seriously when you say stuff like the above. Since when has Tarantino been about large production values in films? Also, I know you're too good a filmgoer to judge films solely on the basis of trailers, right? I mean, right? How about watching the film before you decide on whether any of the performances in it are "Oscar worthy"? Also, what does Tarantino's retirement plans have to do with the quality of this particular film, at all? This part of your post gets my nomination for "Best Example of Reading Too Much Into a Single Film Trailer".

MGamesCook wrote:
And wait one goddamn second. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the KKK formed AFTER slavery had been abolished? Is it possible that Tarantino will make an even greater fool out of himself than Griffith did in 1915?

Sometimes, people need to realize that historical accuracy, just like plot holes, can be forgiven if the focus of the film isn't on the historical accuracy or plot consistency of said film. This is why we can still enjoy Nolan's films even though there are plot holes in them or why we could still enjoy Basterds even though Hitler dies in a theater instead of in his Berlin bunker. Also, where in the trailer was it indicated that the KKK was formed before the Emancipation Proclamation, out of curiosity?

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:30 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1717
Post Re: "Django Unchained" Trailer Premieres!
Quote:
This is why we can still enjoy Nolan's films even though there are plot holes in them or why we could still enjoy Basterds even though Hitler dies in a theater instead of in his Berlin bunker.


Well, speak for yourself on this one.

Quote:
Also, I know you're too good a filmgoer to judge films solely on the basis of trailers, right? I mean, right? How about watching the film before you decide on whether any of the performances in it are "Oscar worthy"?


Tell that to the people who predicted an oscar for Daniel Day Lewis based only on a photo. Were they wrong for doing so? In that particular case, no, because let's face it; DDL will probably get a nomination, which we've expected from the start. I don't see why the same mentality shouldn't apply to Django, especially when Tarantino's last film got an acting oscar.

Quote:
Also, where in the trailer was it indicated that the KKK was formed before the Emancipation Proclamation, out of curiosity?


The movie seems to take place during the era of slavery, yet also includes several shots of the KKK.

Quote:
Perhaps you're referring to Mr.L. Jackson looking like he's playing the role of the proverbial "Uncle Tom negro" in the trailer?


Yeah. It's weird, because I think Jackson would actually be more suited to the role of a badass bounty hunter.

Basterds had a lot of surprise going for it. No one new about Hans Landa until shortly before the film opened, and people didn't expect the Hitler thing. I wonder if Tarantino has any tricks like that up his sleeve this time.


Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:40 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Steven and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr