Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Skyfall 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Skyfall
Threeperf35 wrote:
"Skyfall" contains a great example of "digital" oversaturated colors to good effect during the nighttime shootout. It combines the film look with the strength of digital technology, yet it still looks a lot like film. The first thing which throws me out of a "digital looking" movie is that it looks unfinished.

I was highly impressed with the fight scene between Patrice and Bond at night in Shanghai. It was very artistic and cinematic at his best like nothing I have seen before ! Just uver cool 8-)

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Producer

It just about stopped short of satire I think. A good thing in the context of this Bond film.

I actually like Mendes. Even when he comes dangerously close to self-parody. Like when Tom Hanks kills Paul Newman in Road to Perdition.

I think Mendes sees films as a series of key moments that define in someway what life is all about. For some people this is too sicky sweet, but I'm a sucker for the right kind of melodrama.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:26 am
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
It just about stopped short of satire I think. A good thing in the context of this Bond film.

I actually like Mendes. Even when he comes dangerously close to self-parody. Like when Tom Hanks kills Paul Newman in Road to Perdition.

I think Mendes sees films as a series of key moments that define in someway what life is all about. For some people this is too sicky sweet, but I'm a sucker for the right kind of melodrama.

I have to admit that I was not impressed when I read that Mendes was going to direct Skyfall but after watching it , I really hope that he directs the next Bond film :-)

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:52 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Prison escape? No, let us remember that Nolan is still very young and is not responsible for The Silence of the Lambs.

This comment though <3

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:55 am
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:

I suggest that if people are complaining about the lack of subtlety in a 007 film, perhaps their priorities are out of order.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 am
Director

Quote:

I don't see much mawkishness in Skyfall, though Mendes has had that problem in the past. I think you really have something with the bold. To me, that's a big part of what defines great filmmaking done by anyone.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:19 am
Producer

I don't think it is a problem with Skyfall. Mendes holds back of being Mendes and gives the film room to breath.

As for the bolded comment, yes film making is about that to some extent, but in the past Mendes has laid it thick. Too thick for some. I once heard someone describe Road to Perdition as being like a box of chocolates where the first 2 taste wonderful, then you start to feel sick. I like the film but at the same time understand that POV.

Mendes = melodrama. So does Bond to some extent. Perhaps someone somewhere recognised that fact.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:13 am
Producer

Ken wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

I suggest that if people are complaining about the lack of subtlety in a 007 film, perhaps their priorities are out of order.

NO MR BOND, I EXPECT YOU TO DIE!!!

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:27 am
Director

Quote:
I once heard someone describe Road to Perdition as being like a box of chocolates where the first 2 taste wonderful, then you start to feel sick.

Another good one, that's how I'd describe Avatar and The Avengers. In fact at the end of the latter, I indeed felt rather queasy. Excess is never good, no matter what it is.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:13 am
Cinematographer

Skyfall becoming the third most successful Bond film of all time just behind Goldfinger and Thunderball.

Quote:
Goldfinger turns out to be the most profitable Bond film, assuming that you avoid Hollywood accountant chicanery and measure profit just as the difference between how much it cost to make the film ($36 million adjusted) and how much the film made ($1.25 billion adjusted).

James Bond by the numbers

Edited: Thanks to MunichMan for appointing Thunderbolt to me :shock:

Last edited by unwindfilms on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:35 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

unwindfilms wrote:
Skyfall becoming he third most successful Bond film of all time just behind Goldfinger and Thunderbolt.

Was that before or after the famous Bond film Lightfoot?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:35 am
Cinematographer

MunichMan wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:
Skyfall becoming he third most successful Bond film of all time just behind Goldfinger and Thunderbolt.

Was that before or after the famous Bond film Lightfoot?

HaHa yeah is Thunderball

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

MuchenGuy in a bitchy mood. ;)

Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:50 pm
Cinematographer

First nomination (as far I know) for Skyfall as best picture and Roger Deakins for Cinematography by The International Press Academy

http://www.pressacademy.com/award_cat/current-nominees/

Although Les Miserables and Lincoln are the movies with most nominations.

Let's see who wins

Note For best movies are 9 nominees
Skyfall
Lincoln
Argo
Beast of the Sourhern Wild
Zero Dark Thirty
Silver Lining Playbook
Life of Pi
Moonrise Kingdom
Les Miserables

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Quote:
Welcome to the awards race, Mr. Bond.

Sony-MGM's "Skyfall" crashed the kudos season Wednesday, becoming the first Bondpic to garner a nod from the Producers Guild of America, whose 10 nominees included an otherwise unsurprising mix of studio and specialty titles including Warner Bros.' "Argo"; DreamWorks' "Lincoln"; Focus' "Moonrise Kingdom"; Universal's "Les Miserables"; the Weinstein Co.'s "Django Unchained" and "Silver Linings Playbook"; Fox's "Life of Pi" and Fox Searchlight's "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; and "Zero Dark Thirty," also from Sony. ......

.....Of the 10 nominees, "Skyfall" is by far the biggest box office grosser, with more than $1 billion worldwide....

......The PGA award has become a strong indicator of Oscar sentiment in recent years, matching the Oscar for best picture in 16 of the last 23 -- including the last five, with "The Artist," "The King's Speech," "The Hurt Locker," "Slumdog Millionaire" and "No Country for Old Men." The PGA winner last diverged from the Oscar best picture for the 2006 award when "Little Miss Sunshine" won while the Academy opted for "The Departed."

The match between the PGA's nominations and the Oscar best picture noms is generally about 80%. Last year, seven films were nominated for both; "Bridesmaids," "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and "Ides of March" scored only PGA mentions, while "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" and "Tree of Life" received Academy noms but were spurned by the PGA.

Notable omissions from the PGA nominations included "Amour," "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel," "The Dark Knight Rises," "The Master" and "Rust and Bone."

More on PGA Awards nominations announced

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10