Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:12 am

Top comedy movies? 
Assistant Director

Post Top comedy movies?
I was asked the other day for my top comedy film the other day and a few came to my mind :

(In not particular order of preference)
Ground Hog day
Bridesmaids
Bad Santa
Shaun of the dead
National Lampoon Vacation
Young Frankenstein
Sideways
Blue Brothers
Father of the Bride
Borat
Meet the parents
The Mask

But I could not select a number 1 lol

Do you have a number 1 comedy film of all time? or a list?

Cheers

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Top comedy movies?
Some picks from your list:

Groundhog Day
Shaun of the Dead
Young Frankenstein

To add:

Blazing Saddles
The History of the World, Part 1
Kung Fu Hustle
The Big Lebowski
Pineapple Express
City Lights
Life of Brian
A Fish Called Wanda
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
the Jackass series
Clerks
The General
Dr. Strangelove
This Is Spinal Tap
Office Space
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Drunken Master

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:52 pm
My humble additions (I am stritly referring to comedies which are either parodies or really clever, no pathetic loser in painfully embarrassing situations, no fart humor and no toilet humor - and I hate it when they go straight or sentimental near the end - one of the reasons I don't include, for example, any 60's Jerry Lewis flicks...)

Airplane!
High Anxiety
Kentucky Fried Movie

EDIT: The Naked Gun isn't too shabby either. It's a bit gross at times and relies (as many a comedy) on cheap puns, but it delivers big time.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:25 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
Some picks from your list:

Groundhog Day
Shaun of the Dead
Young Frankenstein

To add:

Blazing Saddles
The History of the World, Part 1
Kung Fu Hustle
The Big Lebowski
Pineapple Express
City Lights
Life of Brian
A Fish Called Wanda
the Jackass series
Clerks
The General
Dr. Strangelove
This Is Spinal Tap
Office Space
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Drunken Master

Thanks for the list. I have not watched:
City Lights
Life of Brian
The General
This is Spinal tap
Drunken master

Some other people have recommended me Spinal tap, I think that it is about time to see it ;-)

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:49 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
My humble additions (I am stritly referring to comedies which are either parodies or really clever, no pathetic loser in painfully embarrassing situations, no fart humor and no toilet humor - and I hate it when they go straight or sentimental near the end - one of the reasons I don't include, for example, any 60's Jerry Lewis flicks...)

Airplane!
High Anxiety
Kentucky Fried Movie

EDIT: The Naked Gun isn't too shabby either. It's a bit gross at times and relies (as many a comedy) on cheap puns, but it delivers big time.

HaHa your initial remarks cracked me up! I forgot about Airplane and the Naked gun and I found very funny those parodies too :-) I have not seen
High Anxiety
Kentucky Fried Movie

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:51 am
Profile WWW
unwindfilms wrote:
HaHa your initial remarks cracked me up! I forgot about Airplane and the Naked gun and I found very funny those parodies too :-) I have not seen
High Anxiety
Kentucky Fried Movie

Well I very highly recommend This Is Spinal Tap. Simply brilliant.

Kentucky Fried Movie screams "1970s!", It is episodic, and it has some awesome fake movie trailers filled with gratiutions nudity (how was this possible back in the day?) and "infomercials" - and a hilarious complete self-contained parody of "Enter the Dragon". Yes, it's a bit juvenile in places - but: highly recommended!

High Anxiety is Mel Brooks' very funny homage to Alfred Hitchcock.

Some early 70s Woody Allen has its hilarious moments, for example Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid to Ask) - but there are some scenes which I rather find borderline tasteless and uneasy to watch.

If you are into shorter early comedies, Laurel and Hardy (Their Hal Roach movies only, preferrable the original edits) are hard to beat. Pure comedy gold! I am not that much into a group of comedians inside a straight drama. Happened with many during the 1930s.

Some Like It Hot is a classic. But I never found it laugh out loud funny. I find it rather silly to be honest.I am actually a fan of another Billy Wilder movie: "Kiss Me, Stupid!". Even though it does go straight near the end, it's not too sappy at all. Yep it never was a huge hit. Somehow the wife swap story seemed to have offended more people than the rather unfunny "straight guys in drag trying not to blow the cover - complete with treating women like objects" - from the aforementioned flick. I like "Kiss Me, Stupid!" because it has really great dialog, obviously adapted from a clever stage play, filled with little twists, insights and witty remarks. Music plays a huge role and there's Dean Martin mocking (and celebrating) himself.

Another good one is the epic all star: It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World - it's so over the top and silly, it ends up being great.

Just my humble opinions....

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:43 am
The Big Lebowksi is my numero uno with Living in Oblivion coming a distant second.

Happiness and The Royal Tenenbaums seem to get more hilarious with every rewatch.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:46 am
Assistant Director

wisey wrote:
The Big Lebowksi is my numero uno with Living in Oblivion coming a distant second.

Happiness and The Royal Tenenbaums seem to get more hilarious with every rewatch.

I found the "Big Lewoski" entertaining but I did not smile a lot. Now some people have told me that it is hilarious and even another one told me that it is his all time "numero uno" , I think that I have to watch it again lol

I have not watched "Happiness"

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:
High Anxiety
Kentucky Fried Movie

Well I very highly recommend This Is Spinal Tap. Simply brilliant.

Kentucky Fried Movie screams "1970s!", It is episodic, and it has some awesome fake movie trailers filled with gratiutions nudity (how was this possible back in the day?) and "infomercials" - and a hilarious complete self-contained parody of "Enter the Dragon". Yes, it's a bit juvenile in places - but: highly recommended!

High Anxiety is Mel Brooks' very funny homage to Alfred Hitchcock.

Some early 70s Woody Allen has its hilarious moments, for example Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid to Ask) - but there are some scenes which I rather find borderline tasteless and uneasy to watch.

If you are into shorter early comedies, Laurel and Hardy (Their Hal Roach movies only, preferrable the original edits) are hard to beat. Pure comedy gold! I am not that much into a group of comedians inside a straight drama. Happened with many during the 1930s.

Some Like It Hot is a classic. But I never found it laugh out loud funny. I find it rather silly to be honest.I am actually a fan of another Billy Wilder movie: "Kiss Me, Stupid!". Even though it does go straight near the end, it's not too sappy at all. Yep it never was a huge hit. Somehow the wife swap story seemed to have offended more people than the rather unfunny "straight guys in drag trying not to blow the cover - complete with treating women like objects" - from the aforementioned flick. I like "Kiss Me, Stupid!" because it has really great dialog, obviously adapted from a clever stage play, filled with little twists, insights and witty remarks. Music plays a huge role and there's Dean Martin mocking (and celebrating) himself.

Another good one is the epic all star: It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World - it's so over the top and silly, it ends up being great.

Just my humble opinions....

Wow again thanks for the recommendations and in particularly for the comprehensive explanations.

I remember vaguely "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World" and "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex" for what I recall they were very funny. believe or not , I have not watched "Some like it hot" and I think it is about time :lol:

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:21 am
Profile WWW
unwindfilms wrote:

Not the sort of film to sit down with the inlaws for a pleasant evening. It's the blackest of black comedies, if that's your cup of tea.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:30 am
Director

Previously mentioned choices I agree with:

Quote:
Groundhog Day
Bad Santa
Young Frankenstein
Sideways
Blue Brothers
Blazing Saddles
A Fish Called Wanda
The Big Lebowski
Life of Brian
Clerks
Dr. Strangelove

I add the following:

Dogma (although that's as much for the dramatic parts as for the comedy)
Ghostbusters
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
South Park: Bigger Longer And Uncut
The Naked Gun
Clue

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:50 pm
Assistant Director

wisey wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:

Not the sort of film to sit down with the inlaws for a pleasant evening. It's the blackest of black comedies, if that's your cup of tea.

I enjoyed Bad Santa very much (A dark comedy) but the blackest of black comedies? Uhmm I probably pass on this one HaHa

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Previously mentioned choices I agree with:

Quote:
Groundhog Day
Bad Santa
Young Frankenstein
Sideways
Blue Brothers
Blazing Saddles
A Fish Called Wanda
The Big Lebowski
Life of Brian
Clerks
Dr. Strangelove

I add the following:

Dogma (although that's as much for the dramatic parts as for the comedy)
Ghostbusters
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
South Park: Bigger Longer And Uncut
The Naked Gun
Clue

Blockbuster was very funny indeed. I remember vaguely "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" as funny. I have not seen "South Park:Bigger Longer and Uncut" and "Clue" (This one sounds rather appealing to me and will place it in my watch list)

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:32 pm
Profile WWW