Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:08 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Box office data Watchmen! - Updated for Saturday 
Author Message
Post Box office data Watchmen! - Updated for Saturday
Here are box office columnists Steve Mason's early results

EXCLUSIVE STEVE MASON EARLY FRIDAY ESTIMATES
1. NEW - Watchmen (Warner Bros) - $25M, $6,923 PTA, $25M cume
2. Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes To Jail (Lionsgate) - $2.43M, $1,130 PTA, $70.13M cume
3. Taken (Fox) - $2.21M, $733 PTA, $112.8M cume
4. Slumdog Millionaire (Fox Searchlight) - $2.05M, $709 PTA, $120.56M cume
5. He’s Just Not That Into You (Warner Bros) - $1.3M, $532 PTA, $81.92M cume
6. Jonas Brothers: The 3-D Concert Experience (Disney) - $1.27M, $995 PTA, $15.27M cume
7. Paul Blart: Mall Cop (Sony) - $995,000, $389 PTA, $130.43M cume
8. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Disney) - $865,000, $378 PTA, $36.1M cume
9. Coraline (Focus) - $725,000, $357 PTA, $63.07M cume
10. Fired Up (Sony) - $700,000, $389 PTA, $11.46M cume

EXCLUSIVE STEVE MASON EARLY 3-DAY ESTIMATES
1. NEW - Watchmen (Warner Bros) - $62.5M, $19,274 PTA, $69.6M cume
2. Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes To Jail (Lionsgate) - $8.62M, $4,010 PTA, $76.33M cume
3. Slumdog Millionaire (Fox Searchlight) - $7.58M, $2,625 PTA, $126.1M cume
4. Taken (Fox) - $7.44M, $2,469 PTA, $118.04M cume
5. Jonas Brothers: The 3-D Concert Experience (Disney) - $4.95M, $3,882 PTA, $18.95M cume
6. He’s Just Not That Into You (Warner Bros) - $4.05M, $1,659 PTA, $84.68M cume
7. Paul Blart: Mall Cop (Sony) - $3.93M, $1,537 PTA, $133.37M cume
8. Coraline (Focus) - $3.11M, $1,591 PTA, $65.48M cume
9. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Disney) - $2.81M, $1,228 PTA, $38M cume
10. Friday the Thirteenth (Warner Bros) - $2.06M, $1,212 PTA, $63.9M cume


WATCHMEN with $25.2M opening day & a possible $62.5M 3-day, likely the all-time 4th-best start for an R-rated movie!
by Steve Mason

“Who is watching the Watchmen?” Just about everyone…or so it seems.

The brand new film adaptation of the classic graphic comic Watchmen is a hit of monstrous proportions on its opening weekend, but not everyone loves it. In fact, not only is there a prominent character named Rohrschach (played by Oscar nominee Jackie Earle Haley), the film itself is serving as a Rohrschach Test for critics, fanboys and the broader public.

First let’s look at the cold hard numbers. As I first reported Friday morning, the midnight preview screenings generated an estimated $4.5M. Contrary to some reports, that is a huge early sale. E! Online reported that the take was merely “decent,” and one analyst speculated that the picture would finish in the $46M-$50M range for the weekend. The article and analyst were off-the-mark.

There was no way for Watchmen to approach the $18.5M midnight start for lat summer’s The Dark Knight. First off, it is March and not the middle of summer blockbuster season. Kids have school. People are working. These are not the lazy days of July when it is easier for many to see a movie at midnight on Thursday, and hit the office late on Friday. The other factor is the movie’s rating. This is an R-rated movie, not PG-13 like The Dark Knight.

The Thursday night start for Watchmen was 44% better than the $2.5M midnight shows for director Zack Snyder’s last epic 300 (also rated R). It was also virtually double the $2.3M midnight start for November’s Quantum of Solace (PG-13). Those are much better comparables than The Dark Knight or say last year’s PG-13 rated Twilight, which grabbed a reported $7M midnight preview gross.

Watchmen has been spectacular at the box office all day long, and, after consulting with multiple sources, I am projecting a staggering $25.2M (that does include midnight previews) for Friday. That is approximately the 32nd-best opening day in modern box office history, but it is the all-time #12 opening day for a non-sequel.

ALL-TIME TOP 15 OPENING DAYS FOR A NON-SEQUEL
1. Spider-Man - $39.4M
2. Twilight - $35.9M
3. Iron Man - $35.2M
4. Harry Potter & the Sorcerer’s Stone - $32.3M
5. The Simpsons Movie - $30.7M
6. I Am Legend - $30M
7. The Da Vinci Code - $28.6M
8. 300 - $28.1M
9. Transformers - $27.8M
10. Sex & The City - $26.7M
11. The Passion of the Christ - $26.5M
12. Watchmen - $25.2M (projected)
13. Planet of the Apes - $24.6M
14. Hulk - $24.2M
15. The Day After Tomorrow - $23.5M

When the numbers get this big, and the movie is this front-loaded, 3-day projections are problematic, but I am going with $62.5M (my final prediction on published Wednesday was $63M). It is possible that the movie will manage a better “internal multiplier” and start inching closer to $70M, but I am at $62.5M for now. If the number holds, that would give Watchmen the all-time #4 opening weekend for an R-rated movie, trailing only Matrix Reloaded, Passion of the Christ (which had better source material contrary to what fanboys may believe) and Snyder’s 300.

ALL-TIME TOP 10 OPENINGS FOR AN R-RATED MOVIE
1. The Matrix Reloaded - $91.7M
2. The Passion of the Christ - $83.8M
3. 300 - $70.8M
4. Watchmen - $62.5M (projected)
5. Hannibal - $58M
6. Sex & The City - $57M
7. 8 Mile - $51.2M
8. Wanted - $50.9M
9. The Matrix Revolutions - $48.5M
10. Troy - $46.8M

One interesting facet of this movie is the fact that three different major studios have a piece of the action. Warner Bros owns domestic distribution rights, Paramount has the foreign and Fox, which won a very public battle over the rights to the movie, is getting 5%-8.5% of gross participation that will be set by the film’s worldwide revenue success. That puts an awful lot of powerful Hollywood types on the same team, working to ensure Warchmen’s success.

Critics are divided about Watchmen as a movie. The movie has a 65% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but the most established critics – what Rotten Tomatoes classifies as the Cream of the Crop – has generated a lower 43% positive reviews. Here’s a sampling from writers that I know and like.

Joe Morgenstern of the Wall Street Journal –
“The reverence is inert, the violence noxious, the mythology murky, the tone grandiose, the texture glutinous. It’s an alternate version of The Incredibles minus the delight.”

Pete Hammond, Hollywood.com -
“A stunning, mind-bending, breathtaking densely-packed motion picture experience.”

David Poland, Movie City News -
“The problem with Watchmen is, in the end, that it is a bit of a big stiff bore for two acts with an improved, but mostly uninspired third act. Look at Watchmen from the back to the front. Do you care about what has happened to any of these characters, except Rorschach, by the time you leave the theater?”

Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times -
“After the revelation of The Dark Knight here is Watchmen, another bold exercise in the liberation of the superhero movie. It’s a compelling visceral film.”

Obviously, the reviews are all over the board. Although, there’s no question that the writer of the original Watchmen graphic novel, the enigmatic Alan Moore, hates the movie, it’s just as certain that he has not and will never see it. In fact, he put a curse on the whole project.

Director Zack Snyder signed on for a gig that proved too tough and too problematic for the likes of brilliant filmmakers like Terry Gilliam (The Fisher King, Twelve Monkeys), Darren Aronofsky (The Wrestler, The Fountain) and Paul Greengrass (United 93, The Bourne Ultimatum). Perhaps Alan Moore is right. His book is “inherently unfilmable.” There’s no way to pack the dense details of the brilliant 1986 landmark into a movie – even when it’s 2 hours, 43 minutes long.

I am a huge fan of the graphic novel having read it in college. I deliberately didn’t re-read Watchmen in advance of the movie because I think it needs to be judged as its own individual piece of work. Snyder’s problem all along has been, “How do you make a movie that both satisfies hardcore fans and is accessible enough for people who have never even heard of Watchmen?”

For the time being, the spectacle, the buzz, the fanboy fervor and a pitch-perfect marketing campaign have set the stage for an historic 3-day opening. Once the mainstream audience discovers that Watchmen is more about ideas than it is about heroes with capes, it will be interesting to see how it holds up. For comparison’s sake, 300 fell 53% from its opening weekend of $70.8M, but the drop-off will almost certainly be bigger here.

300 ended up at $210.6M domestic and $456M worldwide, but Watchmen is likely to fall short of those numbers. In fact, whereas 300 finished with a 2.97 multiple (2.97 X $70.8M = total domestic box), Watchmen is more likely to be in the 2.5-2.6 range. That would translate to a, still impressive, final US gross of $155M-$160M.


Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:47 am
Post Re: Box office data - March 6th - Watchmen!
Dammit, I had prizes on it making $78.7 million opening weekend.


Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:28 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3151
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: Box office data - March 6th - Watchmen!
I know from inside sources that WB had been hoping for something better than 300. Publicly, they were playing it cautious, saying that if it equaled 300's opening weekend, they would be thrilled. It looks like it will fall short. Not a disaster, by any means, but WB will be disappointed.

This looks like it will have a sharp fall-off. $200 million seems beyond its overall reach. General agreement was that $200 was a very important number for Watchmen in terms of it having any kind of lasting impact on how March openings are viewed.


Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Box office data - March 6th - Watchmen!
James Berardinelli wrote:
I know from inside sources that WB had been hoping for something better than 300. Publicly, they were playing it cautious, saying that if it equaled 300's opening weekend, they would be thrilled. It looks like it will fall short. Not a disaster, by any means, but WB will be disappointed.

This looks like it will have a sharp fall-off. $200 million seems beyond its overall reach. General agreement was that $200 was a very important number for Watchmen in terms of it having any kind of lasting impact on how March openings are viewed.



I agree, and with the reaction being all over the place and the assumed front loaded fanboy reception legs look very iffy.

Rob


Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:42 pm
Post Re: Box office data - March 6th - Watchmen!
Holy crap, that's a long post Rob!


...nothing else to say.


Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:47 pm
Post Re: Box office data - March 6th - Watchmen!
Slightly disappointing for the opening weekend. It had almost doubled 300's midnight take, and there was a lot of hope that it would surpass 300's opening weekend. Most are predicting bigger drop-offs too, meaning the overall gross will be a disappointment as well.

I will be curious to see what the legs are like though. WOM is a mixed bag so far - but those who love it are really raving about it to their friends. It's also a pretty deep movie that warrants re-watching. I also think this will be a huge seller on DVD.


Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:13 pm
Post Re: Box office data - March 6th - Watchmen!
If anything else, I want 'Watchmen' to succeed if only on the grounds that it will give some merit to the March blockbuster. Other than that, I didn't have the vested interest in it some other people do. Movies get mixed reviews all of the time. Usually, they end up deserving it.


Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:21 pm
Post Re: Box office data - March 6th - Watchmen!
Evenflow8112 wrote:
If anything else, I want 'Watchmen' to succeed if only on the grounds that it will give some merit to the March blockbuster. Other than that, I didn't have the vested interest in it some other people do. Movies get mixed reviews all of the time. Usually, they end up deserving it.

"Mixed reviews," gets overused in my opinion. It is used to mean a movie gets all mediocre reviews, but it is also used when a movie gets a mixture of raves and pans. Can a movie "deserve" the second category? Don't you have to pick a side in that case? I'm not sure which one Watchmen fits into.


Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:45 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3151
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: Box office data - March 6th - Watchmen!
Sheryl saw the movie this afternoon (Saturday) and said there were no crowds. In fact, the theater was pretty empty. This might indicate that everyone who really wanted to see it saw it last night and repeat business is tepid. It wouldn't surprise me if it signficantly underran expectations.


Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Box office data - March 6th - Watchmen!
Trevor wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
If anything else, I want 'Watchmen' to succeed if only on the grounds that it will give some merit to the March blockbuster. Other than that, I didn't have the vested interest in it some other people do. Movies get mixed reviews all of the time. Usually, they end up deserving it.

"Mixed reviews," gets overused in my opinion. It is used to mean a movie gets all mediocre reviews, but it is also used when a movie gets a mixture of raves and pans. Can a movie "deserve" the second category? Don't you have to pick a side in that case? I'm not sure which one Watchmen fits into.


Alright, you might have a point. A definitive example of a 'mixed review' film would be a film like The Reader, where all of the reviews (even the positive) were far from trumpeted. 'Watchmen', as far as I can tell from every collection of critical lists, is getting this kind of reception, with exceptions few and far between. Also, any movie can get various raves - but the measurment is: do they stick? This goes for Fight Club, which got 'mixed' ratings but the people who loved it persevered and the people who loathed it eventually warmed up to it - and it was out of thier hands, anyways 8-) Time will tell. For now, 'Watchmen' is not making the comic terrain look any safer to explore. I hope it doesn't undo all of the promise that The Dark Knight built up with it's amazing reception - that comic book films can be more mature and be praised and sell a billion tickets. That's my foremost concern.


Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:34 pm
Post Re: Box office data - March 6th - Watchmen!
Saturday data now up from Showbizdata

Watchmen now looks on for a $65m weekend
Maybe more interesting is the relentless holds of Paul Blart, Liam Neeson and Clint Eastwood
Slumdog Millionaire was made for $15m and will take over $300m worldwide

Rob

1. WATCHMEN WARNER BROS. 3,611 25,140,000 6,962 n/a 50,280,000
2. TYLER PERRY'S MADEA GOES TO JAIL LIONSGATE 2,151 2,493,000 1,159 -68% 72,688,000
3. TAKEN FOX 3,016 2,325,000 771 -49% 115,244,000
4. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE FOX SEARCHLIGHT 2,890 1,964,000 680 -64% 122,440,000
5. HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU WARNER BROS. 2,445 1,327,000 543 -50% 83,274,000
6. PAUL BLART: MALL COP SONY 2,558 1,113,000 435 -59% 131,666,000
7. CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC DISNEY 2,290 1,018,000 445 -50% 37,263,000
8. JONAS BROTHERS: THE 3D CONCERT EXPERIENCE DISNEY 1,276 854,000 669 -81% 15,710,000
9. CORALINE FOCUS 1,959 786,000 401 -67% 63,938,000
10. GRAN TORINO WARNER BROS. 1,520 549,000 361 -62% 140,670,000


Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:54 am
Post Re: Box office data - March 6th - Watchmen!
Robert Holloway wrote:
Saturday data now up from Showbizdata

Watchmen now looks on for a $65m weekend
Maybe more interesting is the relentless holds of Paul Blart, Liam Neeson and Clint Eastwood
Slumdog Millionaire was made for $15m and will take over $300m worldwide

Rob

1. WATCHMEN WARNER BROS. 3,611 25,140,000 6,962 n/a 50,280,000
2. TYLER PERRY'S MADEA GOES TO JAIL LIONSGATE 2,151 2,493,000 1,159 -68% 72,688,000
3. TAKEN FOX 3,016 2,325,000 771 -49% 115,244,000
4. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE FOX SEARCHLIGHT 2,890 1,964,000 680 -64% 122,440,000
5. HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU WARNER BROS. 2,445 1,327,000 543 -50% 83,274,000
6. PAUL BLART: MALL COP SONY 2,558 1,113,000 435 -59% 131,666,000
7. CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC DISNEY 2,290 1,018,000 445 -50% 37,263,000
8. JONAS BROTHERS: THE 3D CONCERT EXPERIENCE DISNEY 1,276 854,000 669 -81% 15,710,000
9. CORALINE FOCUS 1,959 786,000 401 -67% 63,938,000
10. GRAN TORINO WARNER BROS. 1,520 549,000 361 -62% 140,670,000

Those are Friday numbers, are they not?
The Saturday numbers I saw put Watchmen at $18.5mil and more like $55mil for the weekend.


Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:43 am
Post Re: Box office data - March 6th - Watchmen!
Trevor wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Saturday data now up from Showbizdata

Watchmen now looks on for a $65m weekend
Maybe more interesting is the relentless holds of Paul Blart, Liam Neeson and Clint Eastwood
Slumdog Millionaire was made for $15m and will take over $300m worldwide

Rob

1. WATCHMEN WARNER BROS. 3,611 25,140,000 6,962 n/a 50,280,000
2. TYLER PERRY'S MADEA GOES TO JAIL LIONSGATE 2,151 2,493,000 1,159 -68% 72,688,000
3. TAKEN FOX 3,016 2,325,000 771 -49% 115,244,000
4. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE FOX SEARCHLIGHT 2,890 1,964,000 680 -64% 122,440,000
5. HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU WARNER BROS. 2,445 1,327,000 543 -50% 83,274,000
6. PAUL BLART: MALL COP SONY 2,558 1,113,000 435 -59% 131,666,000
7. CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC DISNEY 2,290 1,018,000 445 -50% 37,263,000
8. JONAS BROTHERS: THE 3D CONCERT EXPERIENCE DISNEY 1,276 854,000 669 -81% 15,710,000
9. CORALINE FOCUS 1,959 786,000 401 -67% 63,938,000
10. GRAN TORINO WARNER BROS. 1,520 549,000 361 -62% 140,670,000

Those are Friday numbers, are they not?
The Saturday numbers I saw put Watchmen at $18.5mil and more like $55mil for the weekend.



No because Watchmen is shown at $50m
But as is often the case with big releases the numbers are all over the place during the weekend

Watchmen is now at $55m for the weekend
This has to a big disappointment for Warner because it combines with low Cinemascore ratings which ate a good indicator of WOM
I would give the film little hope of reaching $200m now, with $135m being probably closer to the mark.
I am assuming 50% and 40% WE declines behind that number

Rob


Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:50 pm
Post Re: Box office data Watchmen! - Updated for Saturday
Why do/should we care? Seriously.


Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:36 pm
Post Re: Box office data - March 6th - Watchmen!
Robert Holloway wrote:
Trevor wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Saturday data now up from Showbizdata

Watchmen now looks on for a $65m weekend
Maybe more interesting is the relentless holds of Paul Blart, Liam Neeson and Clint Eastwood
Slumdog Millionaire was made for $15m and will take over $300m worldwide

Rob

1. WATCHMEN WARNER BROS. 3,611 25,140,000 6,962 n/a 50,280,000
2. TYLER PERRY'S MADEA GOES TO JAIL LIONSGATE 2,151 2,493,000 1,159 -68% 72,688,000
3. TAKEN FOX 3,016 2,325,000 771 -49% 115,244,000
4. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE FOX SEARCHLIGHT 2,890 1,964,000 680 -64% 122,440,000
5. HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU WARNER BROS. 2,445 1,327,000 543 -50% 83,274,000
6. PAUL BLART: MALL COP SONY 2,558 1,113,000 435 -59% 131,666,000
7. CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC DISNEY 2,290 1,018,000 445 -50% 37,263,000
8. JONAS BROTHERS: THE 3D CONCERT EXPERIENCE DISNEY 1,276 854,000 669 -81% 15,710,000
9. CORALINE FOCUS 1,959 786,000 401 -67% 63,938,000
10. GRAN TORINO WARNER BROS. 1,520 549,000 361 -62% 140,670,000

Those are Friday numbers, are they not?
The Saturday numbers I saw put Watchmen at $18.5mil and more like $55mil for the weekend.



No because Watchmen is shown at $50m
But as is often the case with big releases the numbers are all over the place during the weekend

Watchmen is now at $55m for the weekend
This has to a big disappointment for Warner because it combines with low Cinemascore ratings which ate a good indicator of WOM
I would give the film little hope of reaching $200m now, with $135m being probably closer to the mark.
I am assuming 50% and 40% WE declines behind that number

Rob


So you saying that two $25 million days will result in a $5 million take the third day? I can't even fathom something that drastic and that stupid. If anything the lowest take I see is around $15 million for Sunday.


Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:39 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3151
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: Box office data Watchmen! - Updated for Saturday
MunichMan wrote:
Why do/should we care? Seriously.


Because the success or failure of any movie helps determine where Hollywood is going to put its production dollars. There's also an impact on release schedule. There was speculation that if Watchmen performed well, the so-called "Summer movie period" might widen to include March and April. The relatively poor performance of the film (based on expectations) means that won't happen.


Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Box office data Watchmen! - Updated for Saturday
Rob, I still think you just posted Friday numbers twice, just from 2 different sources. They are almost exactly the same on each movie if you look them over. I can find no source for which those are accurate Sat. numbers.
BOM has Watchmen at $25mil on Fr., $19mil on Sat., and est. $11.5mil today for a $55.7mil weekend.


Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:15 pm
Post Re: Box office data Watchmen! - Updated for Saturday
MunichMan wrote:
Why do/should we care? Seriously.



Hi there,

1) If that argument is applied to all aspects of cinema it will be a dull place. Why do we care about people's opinions, the Oscars, films being made in the correct language, etc. It's because we are passionate about movies.

2) Box office is important because it's a the best barometer of the popularity of a film and it's the best feedback to studios about the merit of their film making strategies. I am hoping that recent comic book movies have shifted the genre towards a more intellugent period versus the trip that is Fantastic Four. From what I've read watchemn continued that. It's failure combined with other elements can take us back to a different period.

3) As James has said the performance of Watchmen was being watched by the industry re expanding the blockbuster release schedule beyond summer and the the Fall. That's good news for film fans as it removes the baron dumping grounds.

4) I'm probably more interested in BO than most here and have been active on Boxoffice mojo, Guru, prophets and other sites for years. For me it's another part of the movie business that i just find interesting. BOM has 2 million posts on it's forums. So I am not alone :-)

Rob


Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:02 pm
Post Re: Box office data Watchmen! - Updated for Saturday
Trevor wrote:
Rob, I still think you just posted Friday numbers twice, just from 2 different sources. They are almost exactly the same on each movie if you look them over. I can find no source for which those are accurate Sat. numbers.
BOM has Watchmen at $25mil on Fr., $19mil on Sat., and est. $11.5mil today for a $55.7mil weekend.


Trevor

You're sort of partially right.
On the BOM forums there were some errors made late last night. The number for Watchmen was clearly not the first day total as it was at $50m. However, the number was posted wrongly by whoever put it up. Watchmen had been forecast after it's opening day to repeat at $25 of Saturday and then add a further $15m on Sunday yielding $65m
Anyay, it's now moot as we have the studio weekend estimates

As I'm sure you're aware on big weekends it tends to go like this:
We get a first idea of the performance at about midnight on Friday as journalists start to publish their figures.
These are then backed up by studio estimates for Friday night on Saturday morning just before noon EST.
Once those numbers are out, past performance trends lead many to extrapolate the full weekend
On Sunday morning we get the studio estimates for the weekend
on Monday afternoon we get actuals

Rob


Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:08 pm
Post Re: Box office data Watchmen! - Updated for Saturday
Robert Holloway wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
Why do/should we care? Seriously.



Hi there,

1) If that argument is applied to all aspects of cinema it will be a dull place. Why do we care about people's opinions, the Oscars, films being made in the correct language, etc. It's because we are passionate about movies.

2) Box office is important because it's a the best barometer of the popularity of a film and it's the best feedback to studios about the merit of their film making strategies. I am hoping that recent comic book movies have shifted the genre towards a more intellugent period versus the trip that is Fantastic Four. From what I've read watchemn continued that. It's failure combined with other elements can take us back to a different period.

3) As James has said the performance of Watchmen was being watched by the industry re expanding the blockbuster release schedule beyond summer and the the Fall. That's good news for film fans as it removes the baron dumping grounds.

4) I'm probably more interested in BO than most here and have been active on Boxoffice mojo, Guru, prophets and other sites for years. For me it's another part of the movie business that i just find interesting. BOM has 2 million posts on it's forums. So I am not alone :-)

Rob


Absolutely, sir. Filmmaking is interesting because it's an art, but also a business. Watchmen, whether it's good or bad, had a ton of effort put into it. It was really more of an effort for the fans than for Snyder's personal joy, so you have to admire that kind of dedication. That's the kind of film you don't want to see fail. Watchmen isn't quite failing, but it's underperforming. That makes me sad. I don't want to be sad. That's why I care.


Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:32 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr