Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:02 pm

How bad is your addiction? 
Post Re: How bad is your addiction?
I've sat down for a movie forty-seven times this year, which is very low for me. At this point last year, I had seen a little over 100. (That included a Best Picture showcase and a Star Wars marathon, to be fair.) This year's numbers don't include the two and a half runs of Arrested Development or my current watching of My So-Called Life. I blame my ex-girlfriend for the low film count this year lol.

The only 2009 films I've seen so far are Coraline and Watchmen (twice). There were, however, a lot of 2008 films I caught in the theater this year (The Wrestler, Revolutionary Road, etc.).

Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:20 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi AJ

I'm at the same number. Scary :-)

Rob

Up to 87 now.

In the immortal words of Stifler, "It's on like Donkey Kong!" :D

Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:36 am
A.J. Hakari wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi AJ

I'm at the same number. Scary :-)

Rob

Up to 87 now.

In the immortal words of Stifler, "It's on like Donkey Kong!" :D

AJ -

I'm only at 81.I'm trying to get this under control.
However, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've seen over 10,000 movies
I averaged 430 movies a year over the past decade with a high (or is that low) of 664 in one year.

But keep this quiet :-)
Rob

Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:50 am
I go through phases. I'm too hooked on a couple tv shows on DVD right now to do much movie watching but I have blown entire weekends by watching four or five in a row. I also work at a library that loans movies for free, which helps. I haven't had to rent a movie in years.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:00 am
I may not watch hundreds of movies per day, but i'm addicted.

They rule and determine almost every aspect of my life.

I've seen movies since i was... too young to remember. Around 13/14 i knew i wanted to make movies, and the rest is history.

Movies, movies, movies, movies. There is nothing that means or has influenced my life more. EVERY aspect of my life.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:31 am
ogto wrote:

Then you need to get serious! :-)
Rob

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:58 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
ogto wrote:

Then you need to get serious! :-)
Rob

my personal record, is seven movies in ONE viewing.

But most of the time, i feel that if you chain movies, you sometimes get lost, and stop feeling their impact as much.

Sometimes, when i see something that really blows my socks off, rarely, i need some time to digest it. And i feel like, wow, i CAN't watch something else now, cause what i just saw is SO AWESOME, that there's no point, i won't be able to appreaciate it.

But i'm addicted, and i love movies. I can't envision my life without them, cause it would be completely different.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:50 pm
ogto wrote:

That beats my six in one day, many many years ago. Nice one
I find that at more than 3 i start to lose the plot so to speak
Rob

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:34 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
ogto wrote:

That beats my six in one day, many many years ago. Nice one
I find that at more than 3 i start to lose the plot so to speak
Rob

you'd think that, but if the combination of movies is juuuust right, it works perfectly.

I watched... 4 movies that i had seen, and 3 that i hadn't seen. And combing them went perfectly. Didn't miss a beat. And i was soooo tired. The last one was Sunshine. And i really enjoyed it. And i still remember it. But god damn, it was tiring. The secret is to take breaks from new movies with stuff you know and like. But that you haven't seen a zillion times.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:51 pm
I watch one movie a day, or at least try to. I occasionally write reviews (or small capsule reviews) of some of the movies I see, but that's only when I feel I have something to say about a particular film. I'm sometimes lazy to start typing as well - I love writing but I still haven't learned to be disciplined at it.

I'm pretty much obsessed with movies at this point. I have a tendency to quote them all the time with my friends; and I know way too much trivia for my own good. Sadly, a lot of the people I hang out with aren't as movie-obsessed as me, so they tend to see me as a total freak for knowing the director of every single movie they bring up in conversation.

I have a tendency to look up info on every movie I watch, through the IMDB, reading reviews, magazines, books, and whatnot; so this has led me to knowing much about some movies without actually having seen them (For example, I know about the films of Lucio Fulci, but I've never watched them).

The one thing that occasionally happens, and which I try to avoid, is when movie watching becomes routine. Since I work as a film critic, this is pretty difficult because sometimes I'm stuck watching a truckload of movies I normally wouldn't be interested in (one time, we put together a special feature on the films of Truffaut, so I had to sit through about 10-15 french films in less than a week).

I hate watching movies from a critic's viewpoint: I stop paying attention to the film, and I sit through it just to point out flaws. When I'm not enjoying it, it becomes a chore, and that's when I know I'm burned out. So, often, I have to unwind and do anything else (read, write, go out, work out, whatever) to keep my mind straight. I don't know if this has happened to anyone else: a moment when watching movies starts becoming a chore.

I've already resolved just to watch films from genres I like (or directors, or actors). I'm going to stop watching movies just for the sake of it, because it can be tiring from time to time.

Still, I love movies: discussing them, reading about them, etc. I'd love to go out with someone who loves movies as much as I do, or at the very least, respects my love of movies; I'm not a huge partygoer, I don't really go out much, and I'm perfectly happy spending a Friday night on the couch watching films. If a girl finds this boring, then I know the relationship isn't going anywhere.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:20 pm