Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:34 pm

How bad is your addiction? 
Post How bad is your addiction?
I'm curious. I've been addicted to movies since I was a child and been hooked ever since. I'm not sure whether it was Sean Connery as James Bond or Fred and Ginger dancing their way across our black and white TV.

How bad is it for you? How many movies do you watch in a typical month/year? How many do you think you've seen? Do you keep a list, rate your movies? Are there things you do that non movie lovers would just not understand? Could you date someone who had no interest in movies?

This is the therapy thread :-) We could always set up a phone line. A number that you'd put on the play button. Someone you could call before you hit play :-)

Rob

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:28 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: How bad is your addiction?
Robert Holloway wrote:
How bad is it for you? How many movies do you watch in a typical month/year? How many do you think you've seen? Do you keep a list, rate your movies? Are there things you do that non movie lovers would just not understand? Could you date someone who had no interest in movies?

If we confine it to theatrical films, I end up seeing about 250 per year. Thus far, it's 30 this year, but I'm not really behind because January/February release numbers are typically low because previous year holdovers are taking up space. For me, a more interesting question might be how many I would see if I was not a critic. Looking over the 30 films I have seen thus far this year, there are probably only three or four I would have seen if I was doing something else in my spare time.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
I've seen 79 films this year so far. My personal best is 611 in 2003, a number that's declined every year.

Still, I need help. :P

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:43 pm
I don't quantify how many movies I see, I just catalog, rate, review and research them. But I rarely do see movies in theaters, the last one I saw was Zach and Miri, most of my movies come from TV.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:50 pm
My addiction to films has changed over the years. I used to rent between 2 and 6 movies a week but when DVDs entered the scene and it became affordable to have film collections, I stopped renting. Instead of renting a couple movies a week, I'd buy a couple a month. I'm no longer satisifed with good movies because I want everything to be great... worthy of rewatching again and again. Even when I borrow a reccommended DVD from a friend I have trouble sitting down to watch it if it isn't absolutely fantastic. It's as if I'd just rather re-watch an old favourite than take a chance on something unfamiliar.

I estimate I currently see only about 20 new (to me) movies a year but I probably rewatch 60-80 favourites.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:07 pm
I'd say I see about 50-60 new movies a year, but I see at least one movie every day. If I don't watch one on a given day, I'll double up on the weekends to catch up. I go to the theater once a week, sometimes twice. I don't really keep a list of what I've seen, and my ratings are strictly in my mind, and not numerical at all. Most books I read these days are movie related. If it's not a biography of someone, it's usually something that's being adapted into a film, or some sort collection of essays about film.

The weirdest thing I do is quoting obscure parts of certain movies in social settings that I think people will get for some reason. It can make for incredibly awkward situations. For instance, a week or 2 ago I was at a party with my girlfriend and her friends. People were all telling different stories and laughing and whatnot. So, when there was a lull in the conversation I decided to quote Jon Favreau from 'Swingers', and said awkwardly, "We all have stories." If you've seen the movie, you know it's where Favreau's character is being extremely awkward and it goes over horribly. I thought this was comedy gold and that everyone would get it. Of course, no one did and they looked at me like the characters in 'Swingers' looked at Favreau. Basically, I ended up looking like Jon Favreau in 'Swingers' when I was trying to make fun of him. Awful.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:23 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Are there things you do that non movie lovers would just not understand? Could you date someone who had no interest in movies?

Rob

Yes...my wife can't understand why I like movies so much. She can't stand blood, sadness, poverty, scary images, etc., etc....in movies which pretty much leaves us at comedies and chick flicks that we can watch together. She lied to me, that girl, we used to go to horror flicks all the time when we were dating...

Leaves me to watch movies by myself two times a week while she's doing the night shift.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:54 pm
A.J. Hakari wrote:
I've seen 79 films this year so far. My personal best is 611 in 2003, a number that's declined every year.

Still, I need help. :P

AJ

You need help!

If we assume 2 hours a movie for easy math. You spent 1222 hours in 2003.
Let's also assume that you sleep for 7 hours a day.
That mans that there were 6205 waking hours in 2003

You actually spent 20% of the entire year watching movies!
Or to look at it another way if you'd started a movie marathon on January 1st and stopped when you reached 611 you would not have emerged until 71 days later - or March 12th :-)

There is a little van and two guys in white coats with a strange canvas jacket en route to your house as we speak :-)

Rob

Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:01 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

If we confine it to theatrical films, I end up seeing about 250 per year. Thus far, it's 30 this year, but I'm not really behind because January/February release numbers are typically low because previous year holdovers are taking up space. For me, a more interesting question might be how many I would see if I was not a critic. Looking over the 30 films I have seen thus far this year, there are probably only three or four I would have seen if I was doing something else in my spare time.

James,

From reading your website for years I remember that the theater is quite a long way from your house? I also believe you have a full time job. How do you do five trips to the theater a week?

You need help me thinks?
Rob

Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:04 pm
in a year, bout 100-150.

thats the rate im doing right now. ive never actually counted. in a given calender year, i think my max would have been 80-90.

and, bloody hell, AJ thats just...
an intervention need to be staged.

EDIT: i see robert covered that.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:05 pm
Director

Quote:
How bad is it for you? How many movies do you watch in a typical month/year? How many do you think you've seen? Do you keep a list, rate your movies?

I've only started keeping track recently. The last 2 years I've seen between 140-160 per year. I rarely go to the theater(about 5 times per year), most of what I see is from netflix, the library(it seems like they have every Criterion title), dvr(mostly TCM - so many hidden treasures there), or borrowed from friends.
I rarely re-watch films I've seen(I own many dvds that are still sealed & want to re-view them, but when I sit down in front of the tv after work, I guess I'm more drawn towards spending a few hours watching something new)

As far as how many I've seen in my lifetime, I wonder about that sometimes. I'm 32 & have been a hardcore fan since I was very young(was not a typical kid, I was recording Maltese Falcon & Bringing Up Baby on the late show when I was around 10-12, as well as regularly seeing all the latest blockbusters with my friends. and I was renting a lot from the library as well - many arty films that were over my head at that age, but since Siskel & Ebert liked them I had to check them out) I'm sure I was seeing more per year when I was in high school & college than I do now.

how are you able to guesstimate how many films you've seen? I would think I'm at least in the thousands by now...I've seen pretty much every title on the famous top 100/200 lists(AFI, IMBD, Roger Ebert's Great Movies, etc)

Last edited by calvero on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:19 pm
aameen wrote:
in a year, bout 100-150.

thats the rate im doing right now. ive never actually counted. in a given calender year, i think my max would have been 80-90.

and, bloody hell, AJ thats just...
an intervention need to be staged.

EDIT: i see robert covered that.

I think mine would average between AJ and aamen, with a slight tilt towards AJ's number. I have seen quite a few films (and own quite a few Criterions) for a 22 year old. Maybe... 350-400. Maybe a little higher.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:23 pm
Last year, I saw 269 films. I only count things i've seen for the first time, as many of those i've watched more than once.

Only 31 of those were in a theater... but it should be noted that a few more were "technically" theatrical releases... ehhh hemm...

This year, i've been doing much better with 60 already. Not quite one a day, but it's close...

Thus far, i've only been to the theater 4 times: to see Doubt, The Reader, Last Chance Harvey, and Coraline.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:37 pm
Up to 80 now for '09, 25 of which have been visits to the theater. Needless to say, they know me personally over there. :)

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:49 am
I'd seen maybe a total of 20 films at a rate of one/two or so per year up to the time I turned 17. At that point I completely lost interest and stopped watching anything for five years. Now, aged 29, I've been playing catch up to such a degree that I'm getting overwhelmed -- the Netflix queue is at 100+ and it's getting so movies are blurring together.

It feels a bit like I'm spinning my wheels, maybe. After watching six Jean-Luc Godard pictures came the creeping feeling that maybe some time is being wasted. It'd be just great to feel the passion for the medium that so many on this board do but, alas, it's only there once in a while. After shrugging off Hoop Dreams as kind of overblown it seemed like the word "fanatic" was a long, long way off for me.

But, still, give me Memento or Pulp Fiction or The Ice Storm or Citizen Kane or Rashômon and the reason why I started in on this whole movie watching business comes back. Maybe I'm in a dry spell.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:28 am
I typically go to theaters to see roughly 75 or so films per year and have been known to sit through three or four in a day if I haven't been in a week or two. At home I own approximately 1500 dvds including about 300 that I have yet to see. I usually pick three of those a week to check out so that adds another 150 a year. Then there are the ones I own that I re-watch at least each year(probably another 50). Finally, there are the ones that I catch on tv or on demand, some new to me, others second, third or twentieth viewings. That probably adds another 100 or so. That brings me to about 375 a day at best estimate. So more or less I wind up watching about a movie a day.

As for dating someone who doesn't have an interest in movies. Well, let's just say that my ex-wife wasn't a big movie fan and you don't make that mistake twice. (Though my time with her did propel me to start going to movies by myself, something I've come to enjoy very much).

I also read a lot and my love for film spills into that as well whether it's books about films, film criticism books(yes, I own Reelviews), books being turned into or having already been films, etc.

I even have chosen a few jobs due to my love all all things movies(as a kid I worked in movie store and as an adult I managed a large electronics store---lots of movies and great tvs to watch them on!).

I never used to rate the films I watch, though I started to last year. I do keep a notebook with my thoughts on each one I watch and like a pack rat, keep the stubs to all films I see(noting on the back who I saw it with) in theaters. I also keep a current list of all movies I own because the collection has grown too large at times and without my list, there is always the risk I could re-purchase one I already own(it's happened on more than one occasion).

So, that's me. Do I need help. I don't know, you guys tell me.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:46 am
Oh, and I forget to mention this(though I think I posted it elsewhere)....

When dating someone, at some point I always make them watch a few specific movies(with Before Sunrise/Sunset being the main focus here) and if they don't appreciate them in at least a similar manner as I do, things probably won't last much longer. While I don't need them to love those films like I do, I do need them to understand my passion for them or it's really not worth wasting my time. :D

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:50 am
As a kid, it was hard for me to find movies I would enjoy--most movies left my overly sensitive younger self in tears (American Tale, The Bear, Home Alone, etc) or left me screaming into the other room. (being tramatized by ET's face on the screen was one of them--thanks Grandma for that gift!)

However, the movies that I either escaped crying at--or didn't mind the general tears, or didn't terrify me--I would watch over and over again. Most of those childhood movies I loved, had music in it--and to this day, no matter HOW horrific or terrible the movie is--if there are catchy little songs and dance numbers, all is forgiven in my mind. Movies as a child that I loved were: Annie, Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz, most animated Disney ones, Music Man, Grease, among others. I think around 13--I really started to get a handle on my overly sensitivity in a movie. I learned how to be a silent crier. I figured out tips and techniques, that most people couldn't tell I was hysterical. So...my movie going experience was more enjoyable. I also started going to the movies with friends during the teenage years--especially the movie theater in the local mall. I still cringed at anything overly bloody and gruesome--which is why I am questioning myself seeing the Watchman tonight. Usually any R rated movie that isn't rated for comedy purposes--I tend to stay away from.

By the time I was a senior in high school/freshman in college--most of my friends had summer jobs at the movies--which meant that I was allowed in usually for free, or to midnight releases for free etc. I think for about 2 years, I don't actually remember paying for any movie.

This past year for the holidays--I was surprised. I almost thought that I wouldn't get a movie gift certificate as a holiday gift--which has been my staple since I was 12. In fact one year, after my husband and I got married--everyone gave us movie gift certificates for the holidays (my parents, my brother in laws, my cousins, grandma, etc) that we ended up with over 300 dollars to movies! We didn't start to pay for another movie until mid-September of the following year. Usually we will watch roughly a movie in a theater once or twice a month, on average. Of course that number is higher in the summer. In the summer, we try to go to the early bird matinees--because movies are SOOO expensive now. Which, I know that if they were cheaper--we would see more. But sometimes, if I am not sure about a movie--it is cheaper for me to wait for it to come on DVD for 17 dollars--that way, it is still cheaper then going to the movies. Because of that, we have an extensive DVD/Blu-Ray collection--many of them are used or on sale, and at home, we have a tendency to watch 3 movies a week.

I still wish movies were cheaper--because I do enjoy the theater experience, and many times want to see movies, no matter how bad they are--but because of the cost, steer myself away.

-Jordyn

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:24 pm
I'm like you, Quintaros. I don't watch that many new movies, and I rarely go to the theater anymore. I will, however, watch a favorite movie again and again. I probably watch a movie every other day, on average.

Fortunately (or not, depending on your taste), my movie tastes range from the classic to the bottom of the barrel. My last few movies to watch (or re-watch) have been Suspicion (Hitchcock), Judgment at Nuremberg, Children of Men, Tremors, Terminator, and Friday the 13th Part 4.

And PeachyPete: I've totally been there before. Quoting a movie line that I thought everyone would get, and having it just fall like a lead balloon, with everyone just looking at me cluelessly. Huh? Trying to explain only makes it worse: "You know, that line from...oh, never mind."

But when someone else actually recognizes the line, it makes it all worthwhile.

"It looks like we're not in Kansas anymore..." ;)

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:22 pm
A.J. Hakari wrote:
Up to 80 now for '09, 25 of which have been visits to the theater. Needless to say, they know me personally over there. :)

Hi AJ

I'm at the same number. Scary :-)

Rob

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:02 am