Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Your 2011 Top 10 List (No hurry) 
Post Re: Your 2011 Top 10 List (No hurry)
I'd probably feel more comfortable publishing my 2011 list sometime in 2013, but I do have enough movies under my belt to come up with something respectable:

10. Take Shelter
09. The Skin I Live In
08. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
07. Midnight in Paris
06. Martha Marcy May Marlene
05. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
04. Warrior
03. Hugo
02. Drive
01. A Separation

I still have to see: Tree of Life, The Future, The Artist, Shame, Margaret, Melancholia, Miss Bala, Kill List and Bellflower (or rather the last 60 minutes of Bellflower, though it's probably best to re-start from the beginning).

Certified Copy was much better than anything listed 1-10 (A Separation included) but it's officially a 2010 film so I'm ruling that out.

Am I missing anything?

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:50 pm
Director

JJoshay wrote:
It had some good films, but 2011 kinda sucked.

Quite true. 2011 was a very weak year.

(This is a loose re-write of an earlier post.)

Top 10:

1: Drive
2: Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
3: Margin Call
4: Shame
5: Hugo
6: The Descendants
7: Super 8
8: Source Code
9: The Lincoln Lawyer
10: Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

In a better film year, the last two I listed would have been honorable mentions most likely.

On the lesser but still worth your time scale, Steven Soderbergh's Contagion is a well-done medical thriller that's far ahead of the very similar Outbreak. Clint Eastwood's J Edgar featured a fantastic performances from Leonardo Dicaprio. But was a minor work in Eastwood's oeuvre. It was however more memorable and better made than the mediocre Iron Lady.

Thor, while more thoughtful and dramatically effective than Green Lantern or Captain America, seems to exist as a warm-up for the Avengers, not as a stand-alone movie. War Horse is moderately entertaining. But it's not one of Spielberg's best films or even near it.The Adjustment Bureau offered some decent sci-fi entertainment. But fades pretty fast. A year later I've forgotten most of it. The Rum Diary, while pretty lightweight on the whole, had a pretty good performance from Johnny Depp. The Ides Of March, while not up to the level of the Gosling and Clooney roles listed above, offered some great performances in a dark and depressing take on American politics. The Help, while burdened by an overly soapy script, also features some impeccable acting.

The Artist was entertaining. But offered no real depth and limited personality. Horrible Bosses was funny yet showed that the gross out comedy genre was running out of steam. Cowboys And Aliens offered decent popcorn entertainment. But little else.

On the totally minus side, Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close was mawkish muck. Abduction was a junior high Bourne that confirmed John Singleton's descent into being the black Joel Schumacher. Bad Teacher had a few amusing moments. But on the whole was undone by a limited premise and for not having the guts to be as mean as it should have been. Larry Crowne was cheerfully obnoxious to the point where it came off as the cinematic equivalent of a work supervisor telling you to "Put a little PEP in your STEP!"

So far 2012 has represented only a marginal improvement. But with the upcoming fall season I hold out hope.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Last edited by Jeff Wilder on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:39 am
I love how Fincher focused on character over story in his Dragon Tattoo; it made it a movie worth watching.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:49 am
Assistant Director

Was Hugo, in fact, a family film?! Not to channel FratGuysTintin, but Hugo was more adult entertainment that seemed to put the interest of the youth in the backseat. I loved Where The Wild Things Are and was surprised, maybe not that surprised, when an 8-year-old told me if was the "worst thing" they'd ever seen. The worst! I'll grant these movies are appropriate for general audiences but... well, it isn't It's A Wonderful Life. Not that the movie has meet narrow definitions of "family film" or anything. It's a technically impressive piece of art and very entertaining (up to a point).

Although Marshall Mcluhan would have something to say about my watching Scorsese's latest on a 14" monitor with headphones stuffed into my skull, not a child in sight. Eh, the fuck do I know.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:34 am
Assistant Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Abduction was a junior high Bourne that confirmed John Singleton's descent into being the black Joel Schumacher.

But what about that hilarious scene where Taylor Lautner sees his "Missing" photo on the internet and, to confirm it's him in that photo, finds the EXACT SHIRT HE WAS WEARING IN THE PHOTO with the stain and EVERYTHING?! Thank god he kept that stained shirt in a box at the bottom of his closet! Thank god the kidnappers didn't change his clothing! The movie was on its way to earning a 1 or 2 so I turned it off and did something else. Best Redbox rental ever, learned something very valuable.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:38 am
Second Unit Director

Mark III wrote:
Was Hugo, in fact, a family film?! Not to channel FratGuysTintin, but Hugo was more adult entertainment that seemed to put the interest of the youth in the backseat. I loved Where The Wild Things Are and was surprised, maybe not that surprised, when an 8-year-old told me if was the "worst thing" they'd ever seen. The worst!

I guess I have to ask the question, does it even matter? Like, I understand having a genres like 'family films' from a marketing perspective, or for parents looking for something to take their kids to. But really, does a target audience of a film really affect the quality of the film? I loved Hugo, and really I don't consider it a family film as much as a film for me. Same for Where The Wild Things Are. Who cares what the kids thought, I dug it. Hell, my favorite tradition animated film of recent years was Winnie the Poo. Does a film necessarily fail if it doesn't know its audience? Or can a film be viewed in isolation from its intended audience, and be judged purely on your personal response to it? I don't know... Actually I've kind of forgotten the point I was trying to make...

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:49 am
Assistant Director

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
I guess I have to ask the question, does it even matter?!

Not really. I believe Scorsese may have had "appropriate for all ages" in mind but am not sure he meant for the movie to have broad appeal. I think he succeeded in connecting with his target audience: film enthusiasts. They probably qualify as a family of sorts.

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
Does a film necessarily fail if it doesn't know its audience?

That's one of the many definitions of "failure" so, yes.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:01 am
Mark III wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Abduction was a junior high Bourne that confirmed John Singleton's descent into being the black Joel Schumacher.

But what about that hilarious scene where Taylor Lautner sees his "Missing" photo on the internet and, to confirm it's him in that photo, finds the EXACT SHIRT HE WAS WEARING IN THE PHOTO with the stain and EVERYTHING?! Thank god he kept that stained shirt in a box at the bottom of his closet! Thank god the kidnappers didn't change his clothing! The movie was on its way to earning a 1 or 2 so I turned it off and did something else. Best Redbox rental ever, learned something very valuable.

I thought Abduction was harmless fun, i'll gladly watch it over maudlin crap like "Extremely Loud"

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:28 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Mark III wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

I thought Abduction was harmless fun, i'll gladly watch it over maudlin crap like "Extremely Loud"

Apparently so would I. I didn't, and won't, see Extremely Loud. Or Larry Crowne or Iron Lady or many, many movies released last year and over the past 100.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:50 am
You can't judge a movie honestly by anybody else's values but your own, so I don't think the target audience is a factor in your experience at all. You can't worry about who it was made to please, because you're the one watching the thing.

When it does start to matter is if you make recommendations and others have to decide whether or not your recommendations apply to them. One might realize that if Ken enjoys Moonrise Kingdom, pans Cabin in the Woods, and gives a resounding "meh" to Prometheus, it's because Ken is who he is and his recommendations apply mainly to people with similar tastes to his. A little strategic evaluation of Ken's background as a moviegoer might be necessary before one simply runs off to the multiplex with a fistful of dollars.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:09 am
Assistant Director

I answered no to the question
Quote:
Does a film necessarily fail if it doesn't know its audience?

Even Disaster Movie was a success by my standard. I don't know if it was a terrible movie but I can guess.

Watching a movie is ultimately a personal experience and I'd like to think it can (and, hell, it often does) run independent of the author's intent. If I can begin to understand the movie's language I generally enjoy it and don't bother with lecturing others on how they missed the delicate nuances of Adam Sandler's flatulence.
Attachment:
frink.jpg
frink.jpg [ 40.14 KiB | Viewed 863 times ]

"No you can't play with it, you won't enjoy it on as many levels as I do."

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:36 am
Critic

Jeff Wilder wrote:

5: Mission Impossible. Ghost Protocol. Easily the best of the Mission Impossible quadrilogy as well as the best

Please do not use made up words created by the Alien DVD's marketing department. The good Greeks gave us the word "tetralogy." Let us use it. Amen.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:47 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

5: Mission Impossible. Ghost Protocol. Easily the best of the Mission Impossible quadrilogy as well as the best

Please do not use made up words created by the Alien DVD's marketing department. The good Greeks gave us the word "tetralogy." Let us use it. Amen.

I think I'd either A) kill myself or B) stop watching movies altogether if Mission Impossible was the 5th best movie I'd seen in a given year.

RE: Hugo

I loved it. I can understand why some didn't, and why some just thought "meh, it's good but nothing special". I found it to be a perfect mesh of embracing the newest technological innovations of the medium, while simultaneously looking back at the early days of the medium. The point is that embracing the past is every bit as important as embracing the future. That's a valuable theory for any artist in any time period. Plus, there's a ton of visual metaphors in the movie, and that is guaranteed to knock my socks off. The story, while I enjoyed it, was intrigued, and thought it did add to the themes of the film, almost didn't even matter to me because I thought Scorsese was aiming for something much more than just telling this story as best as he could. Again, I can understand why something like that would turn a lot of people off.

Also, I just watched Martha Marcy May Marlene yesterday and it would probably come in at #2 or #3 on my list (behind A Separation and possibly ahead of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy). I thought it bordered on being a 4 star film and might even bump it up upon a rewatch. Having gone through this thread, I realize my list is nonexistent. So, at least you know my top 3, although not the order. That's progress, says me!

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:42 am
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

I think I'd either A) kill myself or B) stop watching movies altogether if Mission Impossible was the 5th best movie I'd seen in a given year.

Amen x2

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:24 pm
I should probably post an updated list now that I've seen just about everything I wanted to see. Here was my list that I posted at the start of this thread:

Blonde Almond wrote:

1. [b]Midnight In Paris

2. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
3. Hugo
4. Drive
5. The Artist
6. Martha Marcy May Marlene
7. Shame
8. Moneyball
9. Melancholia
10. Attack The Block

And here's my new, presumably final, list:

1. Midnight In Paris
2. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
3. A Separation
4. Hugo
5. Martha Marcy May Marlene
6. Drive
7. Take Shelter
8. Melancholia
9. Attack The Block
10. Moneyball

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:34 pm
Second Unit Director

It does say "no hurry" in the title, doesn't it?

I still haven't seen "Take Shelter", "Senna", "Shame" or "Martha Marcy May Marlene", but after having watched 59 movies from 2011, I feel comfortable enough to make a Top Ten:

1. The Skin I live in
2. We need to talk about Kevin
3. Melancholia
4. The Artist
5. A Separation
6. Contagion
7. Margin Call
8. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
9. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
10. X-Men: First Class

X-Men at #10 really is the best of the rest and only rated 7/10 (all others: 8/10).

The three worst movies of 2011 were:

57. The Green Hornet
58. Sucker Punch
59. Season of the Witch

Gold, silver and bronze medals for some random categories are awarded to:

Best Actor
Jean Dujardin (The Artist)
Antonio Banderas (The Skin I live in)
Payman Maadi (A Separation)

Best Actress
Kirsten Dunst (Melancholia)
Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady)
Tilda Swinton (We need to talk about Kevin)

Best Ensemble Cast
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Margin Call
Contagion

Best Director
Lars von Trier (Melancholia)
Lynne Ramsay (We need to talk about Kevin)
Perdo Almodóvar (The Skin I live in)

Best Cinematography
Emmanuel Lubezki (The Tree of Life)
Manuel Alberto Claro (Melancholia)
Guillaume Schiffmann (The Artist)

Best Original Screenplay
J.C. Chandor (Margin Call)
Woody Allen (Midnight in Paris)
Ashgar Farhadi (A Separation)

Best Special Effects
Hugo
The Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:12 pm
Assistant Director

I've only seen 25 films from 2011, but here's a rough ranking.

1. Source Code
2. The King's Speech
3. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
4. Melancholia
5. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
6. Hugo
7. Another Earth
8. Super 8
9. The Artist
10. Take Shelter

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:52 am
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:

1. Source Code
2. The King's Speech
4. Melancholia
6. Hugo
7. Another Earth
8. Super 8
9. The Artist
10. Take Shelter

Good list. King's Speech was 2010 though

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:15 am
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

1. Source Code
2. The King's Speech
4. Melancholia
6. Hugo
7. Another Earth
8. Super 8
9. The Artist
10. Take Shelter

Good list. King's Speech was 2010 though

You're right. For some reason, I had it on my 2011 list. Well, take that one out and nudge maybe Drive or Mission: Impossible 4 up in 10.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Director

Another catch up with old thread:

1. Warrior
2. 13 Assassins
3. The Tree of Life
4. A Separation
5. Laddaland (Thai)
6. Certified Copy
7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
8. Rango
9. Hugo
10. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

11. Drive
12. The Artist
13. SuckSeed (Thai)
14. Incendies
15. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
16. Hanna
17. Margin Call
18. Attack of the Block
19. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
20. Top Secret (Thai)

HM: Arthur Christmas, Source Code, Fast Five, X-Men: First Class, Thor

Looking through the thread, here are some potentials that I haven't watched yet: The Skin I Live In, A Dangerous Method, Melancholia, Meek's Cutoff, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Shame, Take Shelter, The Descendants, Tinker Tailor Solider Spy, War Horse, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:11 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next