Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:48 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Your 2011 Top 10 List (No hurry) 
Post Re: Your 2011 Top 10 List (No hurry)
JamesKunz wrote:
Raf wrote:
Quote:
JamesKunz wrote
*Makes jackoff motion for ELaIC* Are you kidding? Maudlin shit

Tactless much?

Not nearly as tactless as an endlessly manipulative and emotionally false movie about 9/11

Fantastic rebuttal! I haven't said the movie in question, so I can't comment, but that's a great comeback. Well done, Kunz.

Wed May 16, 2012 8:02 am
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Not nearly as tactless as an endlessly manipulative and emotionally false movie about 9/11

Fantastic rebuttal! I haven't said the movie in question, so I can't comment, but that's a great comeback. Well done, Kunz.

Thanks Pete! When I become a general, I'm making you aide-de-camp

Thu May 17, 2012 3:40 pm
Assistant Director

The list, as always, is subject to change when I see the movies I very well should have seen already.

#10 - Martha Marcy May Marlene
#9 - Drive
#8 - The Skin I Live In
#7 - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
#6 - Melancholia
#5 - Take Shelter
#4 - Tuesday, After Christmas*
#3 - Incendies
#2 - Tree of Life
#1 - Bellflower

*Tuesday, After Christmas, Certified Copy, and In A Better World would be in the top ten but are technically 2010 films. Same goes for several other 2010 movies that I left off the list despite their receiving distribution in 2011. The latest John Sayles film, Amigo, was referenced as both 2010 and 2011 and so leave it as another honorable mention that could very well make the list.

I saw a lot of good films from 2011 (or from 2010, released in 2011) and could have made a top 20 of movies that got at least a 7/10 out of me (that's where "pretty good" starts in my book). No 2011 (or 2010-released-in-2011) movies were worth a 10/10 and only Bellflower received a 9. The rest on the list, except for Drive and Martha Marcy May Marlene, were 8s.

As it so happens, I've got a list of the movies that received 4/10 or lower. Here are a few of them:

-Shame (4/10)
-Sucker Punch (4/10)
-Your Highness (2/10)
-Horrible Bosses (4/10)
-30 Minutes or Less (2/10)

I liked Young Adult, Cedar Rapids, Attack the Block and a good number of others that would likely make the next 10. If I had a list of Most Mediocre of 2011, well, you can imagine.

Haven't seen the Spielbergs released last year, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Uninterested In Seeing A Film Based On A Novel That Should Have Remain Unadapted, Meek's Cutoff and other movies that made the lists of people better than myself.

I did see the latest Harold and Kumar film and liked it alright. I haven't seen Girl With The Dragon Tattoo from Fincher and currently have no plans to change that.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:31 am
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close should have been retitled Extremely Mopey and Incredibly Obnoxious: or, How to Wish a Child Died on 9/11.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:24 pm
Director

JJoshay wrote:
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close should have been retitled Extremely Mopey and Incredibly Obnoxious: or, How to Wish a Child Died on 9/11.

I didn't think it was quite that awful. But it was still mawkkish muck.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:31 pm
What's the point of watching Oscarbait if it doesn't have anyone who deserves an Oscar but does have a main character who I spent two hours wishing got hit by a plane?

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:45 pm
What's the point of watching any obvious Oscarbation? I guess you sometimes get a decent one, but come on. Is any of us going to remember The King's Speech in 10 years?

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:57 pm
Ken wrote:
What's the point of watching any obvious Oscarbation? I guess you sometimes get a decent one, but come on. Is any of us going to remember The King's Speech in 10 years?

That's the main reason why I tend to ignore most Oscar-nominated films, Hurt Locker is one of the only films I can think of that actually deserved to win.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:03 pm
Director

Ken wrote:

Like I said elsewhere: I'm not a fortune teller. But I strongly suspect that in about 10 years, The Social Network will be regarded as if not quite a modern day classic, close to it. The King's Speech will be more or less forgotten.

Likewise The Artist was entertaining while it was on. Yet now, 6 months after seeing it, I've erased most of it from my mind. It's not a bad movie at all. But I seriously doubt it's going to hold up in 10 years as anything more than curiosity.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:38 pm
Critic

JJoshay wrote:
What's the point of watching Oscarbait if it doesn't have anyone who deserves an Oscar but does have a main character who I spent two hours wishing got hit by a plane?

Imagine if that irritating kid had wandered into the clutches of a child molester. We could have had an amazing crossover episode of SVU/Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:02 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
JJoshay wrote:

Imagine if that irritating kid had wandered into the clutches of a child molester. We could have had an amazing crossover episode of SVU/Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Might have been more worth a watch, and I loath SVU.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:08 am
Critic

JJoshay wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
JJoshay wrote:

Might have been more worth a watch, and I loath SVU.

Me too. Beyond measure

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:15 am
I enjoy SVU, though I think it's been on for a bit too long by this point.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:10 am
So, for my belated list.

10: ‘Bellflower’ (Glodell)
09: ‘Young Adult’ (Reitman)
08: ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ (Fincher)
07: ‘A Dangerous Method’ (Cronenberg)
06: ‘The Innkeepers’ (West)
05: ‘Take Shelter’ (Nichols)
04: ‘Drive’ (Refn)
03: ‘The Descendants’ (Payne)
02: ‘The Tree of Life’ (Malick)
01: ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’ (Anderson)

Attack the Block was an electrifyingly executed and fun little genre exercise that almost made my list. I'm glad Mark brought some attention to Bellflower since virtually no one gave it the attention it deserves when I left some words on it in the Last Movie thread; watch it, it's good. Young Adult was Reitman's best film to date, certainly his most mature and successful. Fincher's Dragon Tattoo brought the boring, stale story to life and, moreover, made it rewatchable with the director's brilliant direction. A Dangerous Method was as fascinating a take on its subjects and their views as it was a playful and funny turn of those views on their creators. The Innkeepers one-upped Ti West's considerable debut The House of the Devil in every aspect and delivered one of the best ghost stories and horror movies released in years. Take Shelter was fascinating, and remains as clear in my head as the day I watched it. Drive was one of the best exercises and perhaps the most compulsive exercises in style to be released in years, and I love it every bit as much as when I first watched it. The Descendants was the film Alexander Payne has been trying to make for years and he finally did it, its practically perfect in every way. The Tree of Life is a gorgeous object d'art that struck a personal chord with me as it did for many people, and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy the best written and directed film I saw last year. The top three on the list are the only films I'd consider a 10/10.

Out of the other releases I caught from 2011 I saw Scorsese's Hugo, delightful but nothing special. The Iron Lady, which I forgot as fast as everyone else (out of any role Streep deserved an Oscar for, this one wasn't it). Branagh disappointed in massive proportions with Thor, one of the laziest as well as most thoroughly gaudy and boring superhero movies to be released in the recent genre craze. 50/50 had its heart in the right place but that didn't make it any superior a movie or me remember it more than I do. The Help was harmlessly sweet and maudlin and I enjoyed it better than some of the classier movies to come out last year but its labored beholding to racial stereotypes stands in hypocritical contrast to its message. Transformers 3. Scre4m was the only Scream movie worth a damn besides the first one and was one of Craven's funnest films in years. Kevin Smith's Red State was a mess, but a glorious one. I tried to side with Slant Magazine on the French Of Gods and Men, but as great a story it is the simple fact is the movie is static to a fault and glacial in pace to the point of being boring as sin. Horrible Bosses WASN'T FUCKING FUNNY. But A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas was. The Thing was harmless, forgettable and lazy, and will never stand with Carpenter's masterpiece. The Lincoln Lawyer was surprisingly better a way to waste your time than it looked like. We Need to Talk About Kevin made American Beauty look subtle but without reason to watch it, and Sucker Punch sealed the coffin in Zach Snyder's coffin for me as the most repulsive, misogynistic pieces of shit I've seen.

It had some good films, but 2011 kinda sucked. 2012 so far isn't looking all that much better.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:16 am
Critic

JJoshay wrote:
So, for my belated list.

10: ‘Bellflower’ (Glodell)
09: ‘Young Adult’ (Reitman)
08: ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ (Fincher)
07: ‘A Dangerous Method’ (Cronenberg)
06: ‘The Innkeepers’ (West)
05: ‘Take Shelter’ (Nichols)
04: ‘Drive’ (Refn)
03: ‘The Descendants’ (Payne)
02: ‘The Tree of Life’ (Malick)
01: ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’ (Anderson)

Attack the Block was an electrifyingly executed and fun little genre exercise that almost made my list. I'm glad Mark brought some attention to Bellflower since virtually no one gave it the attention it deserves when I left some words on it in the Last Movie thread; watch it, it's good. Young Adult was Reitman's best film to date, certainly his most mature and successful. Fincher's Dragon Tattoo brought the boring, stale story to life and, moreover, made it rewatchable with the director's brilliant direction. A Dangerous Method was as fascinating a take on its subjects and their views as it was a playful and funny turn of those views on their creators. The Innkeepers one-upped Ti West's considerable debut The House of the Devil in every aspect and delivered one of the best ghost stories and horror movies released in years. Take Shelter was fascinating, and remains as clear in my head as the day I watched it. Drive was one of the best exercises and perhaps the most compulsive exercises in style to be released in years, and I love it every bit as much as when I first watched it. The Descendants was the film Alexander Payne has been trying to make for years and he finally did it, its practically perfect in every way. The Tree of Life is a gorgeous object d'art that struck a personal chord with me as it did for many people, and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy the best written and directed film I saw last year. The top three on the list are the only films I'd consider a 10/10.

Out of the other releases I caught from 2011 I saw Scorsese's Hugo, delightful but nothing special. The Iron Lady, which I forgot as fast as everyone else (out of any role Streep deserved an Oscar for, this one wasn't it). Branagh disappointed in massive proportions with Thor, one of the laziest as well as most thoroughly gaudy and boring superhero movies to be released in the recent genre craze. 50/50 had its heart in the right place but that didn't make it any superior a movie or me remember it more than I do. The Help was harmlessly sweet and maudlin and I enjoyed it better than some of the classier movies to come out last year but its labored beholding to racial stereotypes stands in hypocritical contrast to its message. Transformers 3. Scre4m was the only Scream movie worth a damn besides the first one and was one of Craven's funnest films in years. Kevin Smith's Red State was a mess, but a glorious one. I tried to side with Slant Magazine on the French Of Gods and Men, but as great a story it is the simple fact is the movie is static to a fault and glacial in pace to the point of being boring as sin. Horrible Bosses WASN'T FUCKING FUNNY. But A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas was. The Thing was harmless, forgettable and lazy, and will never stand with Carpenter's masterpiece. The Lincoln Lawyer was surprisingly better a way to waste your time than it looked like. We Need to Talk About Kevin made American Beauty look subtle but without reason to watch it, and Sucker Punch sealed the coffin in Zach Snyder's coffin for me as the most repulsive, misogynistic pieces of shit I've seen.

It had some good films, but 2011 kinda sucked. 2012 so far isn't looking all that much better.

Thanks for your write-ups. Even if I find it odd that you're more positively disposed towards Scr4m than We Need to Talk About Kevin

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:29 am
Assistant Director

Haven't yet seen Innkeepers (forgot it even existed) but am pleased to see that Ti West was able to overcome his unfortunate directing credit on Cabin Fever 2. I realize that one wasn't entirely his fault.

Great list, Josh. I wasn't as thrilled with Drive as I expected to be but it no doubt deserves a place in the top ten. And your exclusion of Hugo was also pretty good to see: I thought the movie was above average but not at all anything close to great. Amazing looking, of course. The story was ostensibly for the kids but it wasn't really interested in doing anything but impressing the adults. That's become tiresome to watch.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:41 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Thanks for your write-ups. Even if I find it odd that you're more positively disposed towards Scr4m than We Need to Talk About Kevin

Scre4m brought back the wit and fun the first Scream did, and was ended up pretty fun to watch (even if its ending went on too long). We Need to Talk About Kevin could be unfortunately simplified to red, white and Ramsay's distasteful direction.

Mark III wrote:
Haven't yet seen Innkeepers (forgot it even existed) but am pleased to see that Ti West was able to overcome his unfortunate directing credit on Cabin Fever 2. I realize that one wasn't entirely his fault.

Great list, Josh. I wasn't as thrilled with Drive as I expected to be but it no doubt deserves a place in the top ten. And your exclusion of Hugo was also pretty good to see: I thought the movie was above average but not at all anything close to great. Amazing looking, of course. The story was ostensibly for the kids but it wasn't really interested in doing anything but impressing the adults. That's become tiresome to watch.

I haven't seen it but from what I understand Cabin Fever 2 is better left forgotten (lord knows the director did). The Innkeepers was excellently written and directed, and needs to be discovered by more people. I got more (repeated) enjoyment out of Drive than most films out of the last four years, it may not be the deepest film released but its damn-near perfectly executed. As for Hugo, I'm just waiting for Scorsese to make an excellent film again (he hasn't made a better movie than The Departed or Gangs of New York since either was released :( ).

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:46 pm
I think Cabin Fever 2 turned out OK in spite of all the behind-the-scenes problems, at the very least it had some pretty cool gore.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:47 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
I think Cabin Fever 2 turned out OK in spite of all the behind-the-scenes problems, at the very least it had some pretty cool gore.

I hated the movie but will concede that the effects were impressive. I wish they had been in service to something other than a half-braked, destroyed-by-producers film. The actors, director, crew... everyone should have felt insulted by the movie that was released. It could not have possibly been what was intended.

@Scorsese:

The director hasn't made a great movie since Bringing Out The Dead. Everything since, in the words of the critics over at the New Yorker, has been "keeping up with the cool kids". I've liked several of the films he's released in the past decade (Gangs of New York at the top of the list) but they are all second-tier efforts, feeling like actual efforts rather than the from-the-heart brilliance that made his stuff so well-loved and influential to so many students, filmmakers and the rest.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:58 pm
Agreed re. Scorsese, with the proviso that his second-tier efforts still shit all over just about anything else.

For the record, my favorite post-BotD film of his is The Aviator, though Gangs is close and I have a big soft spot for Shutter Island.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next