Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:46 am

Public Enemies 
Post Public Enemies
Is anyone else interested in seeing this?

I am a big Michael Mann fan and am hoping this will be a return to form for him after the dissapointment of Miami Vice.

The recently released trailer looks good and I am pleased to see him working again with Dante Spinotti.

I have laughed at the people calling this a potential best picture nominee but as a genre film my expectations are high.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:44 pm
Post Re: Public Enemies
I gotta say that I was underwhelmed by the trailer. It looks like okay movie at best and the music really didn't seem to fit, IMO. Still, considering the talent, I still have high hopes for it. I am really glad that Johnny Depp isn't playing another oddball, loner type. He seemed like he was having a lot of fun, which will hopefully rub off on Christian Bale who really needs to stop scowling his way through every movie.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:51 pm
It's Michael Mann so I'm bringing me a pillow and a blanket cause there's a 90% chance it'll bore me to sleep.

But then again, I always did like the Dillinger movie with Warren Oates so maybe it'll be in the same vein as that with 15 minute bloody shootouts.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:54 pm
Patrick wrote:
It's Michael Mann so I'm bringing me a pillow and a blanket cause there's a 90% chance it'll bore me to sleep.

Mann is boring? I've never heard that one before. I guess maybe Miami Vice can be considered boring, but I kind of liked it (I know I'm in the minority).

I'm very excited for this. I've been anticipating it for over a year now. Hopefully Mann returns to form with this one.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:22 pm
I was really amazed by how digital the film looks in the trailer. Collateral and Miami Vice used it to good effect, but I'm not so sure its becoming for a period piece.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:32 pm
Sorry Patrick, but I disagree with you. I've enjoyed all of Michael Mann's films (my favorite one being Heat), and I think this one looks really good. I love period gangster movies like Bonnie and Clyde. I even enjoyed Hoodlum with Laurence Fishburne, so I'm excited for this to come out.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:35 pm
sevsoc wrote:
I was really amazed by how digital the film looks in the trailer. Collateral and Miami Vice used it to good effect, but I'm not so sure its becoming for a period piece.

I found this curious as well.
I love what Mann has done with digital video in the last 10 years, and I am intrigued to see how it works in a period piece.
It's almost like Cloverfield using hand-held in a monster movie, heheh.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:23 pm
Trailers are notoriously difficult tools to assess movies

It does feel like a very modern style of movie (editing, camera angles and dolly shots, dialogue, cadence, stunts, action, etc.) with people in period costume.

I like Michael Mann but alarm bells are ringing on this one. I really hope I'm wrong.

Rob

Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:34 pm
I didn't find the trailer to be that great. This opinion might change once I see it on the big screen, but it seemed flimsily put together. It didn't give any indication that the movie should be seen, short of the talent involved.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:21 pm
As a fan of Mann and the book I will be seeing Public Enemy. But if neither applied to me that trailer wasn't enough for me to say "I want to see that". Plus the music was awkward.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:52 pm
Completely disagree about the music being out of place. Unorthodox? Sure, but I think Mann has an uncanny ability when it comes to picking the music for his films.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:45 pm
Is this a remake of the 1930is gangster film The Public Enemy?

Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:27 am
Unke wrote:
Is this a remake of the 1930is gangster film The Public Enemy?

No. This is based upon the non-fiction book of the same name about Depression era criminals. But the film looks to be mostly about Dillanger.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:23 am
I nearly suffered from a cardiac arrest when I heard a movie with both Johnny Depp and Christian Bale was being filmed. I was close to drooling when I watched the trailer (now available in the apple website). I cannot wait to see this film.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:21 pm
sheryl wrote:
I nearly suffered from a cardiac arrest when I heard a movie with both Johnny Depp and Christian Bale was being filmed. I was close to drooling when I watched the trailer (now available in the apple website). I cannot wait to see this film.

The idea of Johnny Depp and Christian Bale in a movie together is appealing to me as well, though probably not for the same reason. ;)

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:00 pm
sheryl wrote:

Personally I would take James over those two any day of the week. ;)

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:56 am