Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:17 am

Take Shelter - someone please help me 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Take Shelter - someone please help me
Help me figure out what I missed that everyone who is raving about this film saw.

I am absolutely baffled. I apologized to the two friends I coaxed into watching; after reading critic comparisons to Hitchcock and Serling, I had reasonable confidence.

Two hours later, I was sorry.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:40 am
Critic

Post Re: Take Shelter - someone please help me
Well I can see the Serling connections from the "twist" ending, but I was a little disappointed with the film too. For one, it's a bit slow-going at times. However, I was still liking the film overall until the last scene. I thought it was a pretty good treatise on mental illness. But then there was one of those endings that negating all which came before it. And I was not pleased. So I still see a lot there to treasure, but it's not a great film.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:05 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I accept that the movie is supposed to be a bit like slow torture for the viewer; watching a decent, happy man be twisted into a pretzel is not fun. We can be grateful for the excellent performances, the building of dread.

After spending all of that time being kicked in the face....I didn't see how they could pull out of the power dive. And they didn't.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:48 am
Director

the trailer for Jeff Nichols' new movie 'Mud' is out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m9IFlz2iYo

it opens April 26.

a variety review from Cannes:

Quote:
If "Take Shelter" embodied man's crushing inability to cope with forces beyond his control, and "Shotgun Stories" examined a blood feud from the side of those in the wrong, then ascending writer-director Jeff Nichols blends the turbulent waters of the former with the dirty dealings of the latter to make "Mud." Confidently expanding his inquiry into the essence of American masculinity, Nichols' latest pressure-cooker pastoral conjures a wily figure of endangered Southern chivalry whose name is … you guessed it. Sturdy turns from Matthew McConaughey and Reese Witherspoon should support a wide release, curbed somewhat by pic's unhurried pace and heavy regional temperament.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117947649/

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:02 pm
Second Unit Director

Any time I see the words Take Shelter pop up I have to comment. So here I am. Spoilers will more than likely ensue.

A good deal of people on the forum really dislike this film, or don't really accept it for the most part. The vast majority like it all the way up until the end it seems; because they cannot except the ending, and feel that it throws away everything the film has presented thus far. I, on the other hand, do not fall into this category. Most think this is a precise look into the life of a mentally ill man, and everyone is due their opinion. However, I don't think that one has to look at the film this way.

All in all, Take Shelter, in my opinion uses irony in a masterful way (I've said it before as well). We have this character who has unexplainable visions, who is descending into madness (possibly), and who has a mother who suffers from a serious mental illness as well. Everything the viewer has seen entails that this man, is in fact crazy. By the end of the film, Curtis himself is convinced of his madness. He's excepted it fully, and goes away for one last trip with his family. It's on this trip, that the storm Curtis has tried to flee from finally catches him. A man who has excepted that all of this his visions simply meant nothing, is in fact braced with the notion that they did mean something. In this sense Take Shelter really works for me. Other people have different feelings of course.

After stating this, people usually say the following: Well if it is true, and the ending is in supposed to be taken as literal than what does it mean? And with this I usually say a host of different things, but I'll just re-post a response that I posted a while back.

If you take the ending of Take Shelter as literal, as I do, you see that despite Curtis' visions, he is still brought to his imminent down fall (or death). There is a ton of irony in Take Shelter when you look at it from this angle. A man is told, and eventually convinced that he is mentally ill; he is told the dreams or visions of destruction that he has been enduring are just repercussions of being essentially "crazy." Curtis accepts this label of illness, and discards what he truly believes, because its not popular-- or perhaps not credible from the view points of others. So Curtis tells himself, that these harrowing depictions of storms that have transpired within him for some time mean absolutely nothing. He simply disregards, and ignores them; embracing his illness and savoring the last small amount of normal time with his family. It is within this acceptance, that leads to Curtis' downfall. He ignores the sign given to him, and falls victim by the opinions of others. By accepting that he is mentally unsound, he accepts his fate, which could have turned out differently. This scenario is played out through many works of literature: from Macbeth to Oedipus Rex. The protagonists essentially have the solutions to their troubles, yet are swayed in other directions because of inner conflict. Curtis is swayed because of his family, the possibility of schizophrenia, and a solidified diagnosis.

It also offers commentary on listening to your self; essentially your gut per se (even though that sounds extremely cheesy). Take Shelter also presents an unknown factor of things beyond our control or logic. This film seems to relate back to premonitions of the future, and how such a concept could be looked at in our modern day society. When someone screams of impending doom nowadays, we tend to over look them and call them "crazy"; I think the film presents this notion in a interesting manner. Take Shelter presents a man with a possible "mental illness" but then conveys that despite concurring opinions and logic, that he is not. Curtis took all the possible steps to protect himself and his family, but nothing could protect him from others and their own mindsets. Take Shelter represents the effect others play on our own emotions and opinions, and possibly how we let others define us.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:46 pm
Producer

I have to confess that I was nearly halfway into a bottle of Red Stagg when I watched Take Shelter but one thing that crossed my mind about the ending was that the modern man is not only expected to shoulder the world's problems, but is of course still duty-bound to manage the family unit, and a manager of a family unit who is mentally ill will no doubt project some of his illness (for want of a better word) onto those he loves. It's a depressing thought, but a likely one I feel.

I don't see the ending as literal, but that isn't entirely a good thing in the context. Curtis has, unintentionally, damaged those around him and now they see the world through his fearful eyes.

A real life example, my Wife works one-to-one with special needs children as part of a specific local authority programme. Yesterday she received a letter telling her that she and all her team must attend a meeting next week which basically informs them of their future. We already know that the authorities are making 20% across the board cuts in the next 2 years. She was a little worried to say the least, but I think I got her into a good "it's just a job, not the end of the world" head space.

She saw a big f*cking wave coming for us that if I fed could have swept us both away. Take Shelter is about fear in the context of the the modern family and global forces beyond our control, and how this fear can ravage our minds and spread like a disease.

So be happy...or else!!!!!!

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 am
Cinematographer

calvero wrote:
the trailer for Jeff Nichols' new movie 'Mud' is out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m9IFlz2iYo

it opens April 26.

a variety review from Cannes:

Quote:
If "Take Shelter" embodied man's crushing inability to cope with forces beyond his control, and "Shotgun Stories" examined a blood feud from the side of those in the wrong, then ascending writer-director Jeff Nichols blends the turbulent waters of the former with the dirty dealings of the latter to make "Mud." Confidently expanding his inquiry into the essence of American masculinity, Nichols' latest pressure-cooker pastoral conjures a wily figure of endangered Southern chivalry whose name is … you guessed it. Sturdy turns from Matthew McConaughey and Reese Witherspoon should support a wide release, curbed somewhat by pic's unhurried pace and heavy regional temperament.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117947649/

I'm pretty excited for this one. I loved Take Shelter and recently saw Shotgun Stories and liked that as well. Jeff Nichols is definitely someone who's name makes a movie intriguing. McConaughey seems to be taking on some really interesting roles in some really interesting movies here lately. Good for him, hopefully he starts getting a little more respect as an actor.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:41 am