Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:58 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Need help filling my queue--suggestions please! 
Post Re: Need help filling my queue--suggestions please!
One film I wanted to add just in case the river had not flooded yet:

Black Death

Now, we may never agree on The Grey Zone, but if you enjoyed Nelson's approach for his 2001 downer, hen you're going to eat Christopher Smith's unyielding grim saga right up. In fact, it's possible that a direct comparison could be made for how Smith approaches the bubonic plague with Nelson's view of the holocaust, as it is not more than vaguely interested in the central theme, but more towards the bleak human motivations that drive people to despair in its midst. I preferred Smith's film a good deal more, but nevertheless both films are aching with dry, hollow desolation. I simply found Black Death to be more convincingly visual in its treatment, fitted with a note-perfect score and an impressively affecting denouement. It's worth a shot in the dark if you haven't built up enough interest to see it already.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:30 pm
Sherlock Jr. is an hour shorter than The General and maybe ten times funnier.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:08 pm
Assistant Director

The problem I had with The Grey Zone is that it was FAR too wordy. I like movies with rich and intelligent scripts, like The Man from Elysian Fields, but this goes too far. Every line of dialogue seems to be excessively long, and the actors seem to say it all in one breath. That may work on stage (the film is based on a play), but on film it is very distracting.

Great film otherwise.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Evenflow8112 wrote:
One film I wanted to add just in case the river had not flooded yet:

Black Death

Now, we may never agree on The Grey Zone, but if you enjoyed Nelson's approach for his 2001 downer, hen you're going to eat Christopher Smith's unyielding grim saga right up. In fact, it's possible that a direct comparison could be made for how Smith approaches the bubonic plague with Nelson's view of the holocaust, as it is not more than vaguely interested in the central theme, but more towards the bleak human motivations that drive people to despair in its midst. I preferred Smith's film a good deal more, but nevertheless both films are aching with dry, hollow desolation. I simply found Black Death to be more convincingly visual in its treatment, fitted with a note-perfect score and an impressively affecting denouement. It's worth a shot in the dark if you haven't built up enough interest to see it already.

I'm there!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:35 pm
Critic

Pedro wrote:

Thank God. My biggest problem with The General is that it was a comedy with no jokes

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:36 pm
Critic

ed_metal_head wrote:
James, your queue is probably filled at this point but I'll still throw out a recommendation or two.

You just loved Kisses and according to the great Bob Harris it's similar to Little Manhattan which I loved. See it.

I also recommended Nicolas Roeg's Bad Timing to you a while back. I consider it a great film and it's somewhat similar (apart from Art Garfunkel appearing in both movies) to Carnal Knowledge which you like. Actually, I think it's better than Carnal Knowledge.

Bad Timing is already SO in like, spot 1 in my instant queue. But I shall now add Little Manhattan. Thanks Ed!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:38 pm
Director

Quote:
but Kind Hearts and Coronets I shall add immediately

pretty surprised you haven't seen this. you should put it at 1.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:55 pm
Director

Quote:
The Heroes of Telemark

airs Wednesday morning 6 am est on TCM. And TCM HD.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:06 pm
Critic

calvero wrote:
Quote:
The Heroes of Telemark

And I SO have DVR

Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:08 pm
calvero wrote:
Quote:
The Heroes of Telemark

Such a great flick. It also has a great air of finality to it, which makes one less sad that Mann had to die so young. I think he could have been a major player in the 70s had he lived. The themes are all typical Mann, but the mood is much less intense than usual. His late vision of heroism is decidedly austere, which might put some people off. But it's as fitting a swan song as you'll ever find to any directorial career.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:32 pm
Director

Quote:
MUST SEE: T-Men, The Black Book, Winchester, Bend of the River, The Far Country, The Man from Laramie, The Last Frontier, Men in War, God's Little Acre, Man of the West, El Cid.

VERY GOOD: Raw Deal, Devil's Doorway, The Tall Target, Thunder Bay, The Naked Spur, The Tin Star. (Shit, I think only one of these is available on Netflix anyway)

DON'T BOTHER: Side Street, The Furies, Strategic Air Command, Glenn Miller Story.

The Far Country and Devil's Doorway are on TCM tonight

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:41 pm
Producer

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up. I still can't believe Film Forum did a festival where they screened literally 32 of his movies a few years ago. Maybe the largest single-director retro-marathon of all time (though I assume one just as big must have been done for Hitchcock at some point).

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:16 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Pedro wrote:

Thank God. My biggest problem with The General is that it was a comedy with no jokes

The Navigator and Our Hospitality are funnier than either.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:05 pm
Director

Cook, have you seen Cimarron?

Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:39 am
Producer

calvero wrote:
Cook, have you seen Cimarron?

Yeah, it has its moments. It doesn't have Mann's usual tightness, and it's sometimes clear why he wasn't proud of it, but it has some great sequences. The opening race is the most famous one. And then Charles McGraw is good, Vic Morrow has good scenes, Henry Morgan, etc. It's cool to think about the movie Mann had in mind, sort of tracing the history of the US. That vision is halfway rendered still, so it's cool. I don't like Glenn Ford in much of anything except Superman.

Cimarron is definitely worth a watch; a lot more substantial than Glenn Miller Story or Strategic Air Command. I like it more than Side Street and The Furies too. But I'd put it below Thunder Bay.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:05 am
Director

Quote:

I rewatched Devil's Doorway, and I can't stop thinking about it. many great images(noiresque), haunting final line.

came across this nice article at TCM

Quote:
1950 marked an important turning point in the evolution of the Hollywood Western and Broken Arrow, directed by Delmer Daves, was largely responsible for that. A sympathetic treatment of the plight of the Apache people and their way of life, the film was the first major studio western to depict Native Americans as something other than bloodthirsty savages or naive primitives. The real hero of Broken Arrow was Cochise (Jeff Chandler), the Apache leader, and not the cavalry scout (James Stewart) who marries an Apache woman (Debra Paget). The film's liberal views on race and the white man's treatment of the Native-American were considered daring at the time and garnered much critical acclaim. It also earned three Oscar® nominations including one for Best Screenplay (by Michael Blankfort). The downside of all this is that Broken Arrow's success completely overshadowed Devil's Doorway which was released the same year and also addressed the terrible treatment of this nation's original settlers. The truth is that Devil's Doorway was completed first but held back from release due to the nervousness of MGM's studio brass over the subject matter. When Broken Arrow proved to be a box office hit, the studio released Devil's Doorway but it was largely ignored by critics and the public. The irony of all this is that, seen today, Broken Arrow seems preachy and patronizing whereas Devil's Doorway, directed by Anthony Mann, stands out as a much more realistic and grim depiction of how the west was really won.

In Devil's Doorway, Robert Taylor plays Lance Poole, a Shoshone Indian who has just returned to his people in Wyoming from fighting for the Union in the Civil War. Despite having won a Congressional Medal of Honor, his reception back home from the white community is less than welcoming. His dying father warns him that the acreage that they have tended and farmed for years will be taken from them by the government but Poole remains optimistic until he gets a taste of the white man's law. He quickly learns that an Indian is not a legal citizen of the United States and has no land-owning rights. Soon a corrupt, racist lawyer (Louis Calhern) stirs up hostile feelings toward the Shoshone tribe in town and encourages homesteaders to come and stake claims on Poole's land. At first Poole attempts to use legal means to protect his rights by hiring the only other lawyer in town - O. Masters (Paula Raymond), who turns out to be a woman to his great surprise. Despite the best intentions, Masters' case for Poole is undermined and rendered ineffective by the white establishment lawmakers and Poole is left to take matters into his own hands with violence and senseless slaughter the end result.

Devil's Doorway was Anthony Mann's first western and marked the beginning of a remarkable period in his career when he revitalized the genre with a series of brilliant films, many of which starred James Stewart (Winchester '73 (1950), Bend of the River (1952), The Far Country, 1954) and featured psychologically complex characters and stunning natural settings, mostly filmed on location. According to Mann, Devil's Doorway began with a phone call: "I was under contract to Metro and had just made my first film for [producer] Nicholas Nayfack. Nicholas called me and asked, "Would you like to make a western? I've a scenario here that seems interesting." In fact, that "interesting" scenario was the best script I've ever read! I prepared the film with the greatest care..."

Mann requested and got MGM star Robert Taylor for the lead role and John Alton to handle the cinematography. Alton had previously collaborated with Mann on a string of taut, atmospheric film noir thrillers such as T-Men (1947) and he brought a similarly dark and ominous look to Devil's Doorway. The film's expressionistic lighting and stark vistas have often been compared to the look of an Ansel Adams photograph and some sequences have a power and intensity that practically leap off the screen. The barroom confrontation scene between Poole and a bullying gunslinger, in particular, is a casebook example of Alton's style. A sense of menace is established from the opening shot as Poole and his Shoshone companion enter the bar and thunder cracks in the distance, signaling an approaching storm. Inside, Coolan and his hired gun are in the foreground as we see Poole from their point of view, being refused service at the other end of the bar - "No liquor for Indians." After being threatened at gunpoint, Poole attacks his oppressor and the brawl alternately mixes close-ups of the fighters' contorted faces with passive reaction shots of the neutral observers while the deadly free-for-all is occasionally illuminated by flashes of lightning. There is no dramatic music used, only the sounds of the two men fighting and the outside storm. Rarely has the struggle between good and evil been visualized on screen in such potent, primeval terms.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1 ... orway.html

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:36 pm
Second Unit Director

56 Up if you're still looking for movies

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:57 am
Producer

Quote:
I rewatched Devil's Doorway, and I can't stop thinking about it. many great images(noiresque), haunting final line.

came across this nice article at TCM

Yeah I discovered Devil's Doorway sometime after I had seen the five Stewart westerns, and was a little unsure what to make of it at first. It's a western, but it was made during a different phase of Mann's career than his canonical westerns. Alton's photography represents a very sharp contrast to the way Mann's movies look later on. It always seems strange to me that Broken Arrow overshadowed Doorway, but Winchester was a big hit that same year. Stewart made it happen I guess.

Doorway itself holds up well even in a politically correct age due to Mann's typical in-your-face brashness. The bar scene, for instance, has a really visceral punch; brilliantly constructed. The film serves almost as a prequel for Mann's later westerns, in which Indians are featured more as devices than characters. Then it kind of comes full circle in Cimarron.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:38 am
Director

Kunz, think you would love this http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/The-Britis ... kid=222336

Not currently available on netflix, but keep an eye out for it. TCM premiered it last night.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:21 pm
Assistant Director

Burke and Hare is a must if you have a dark sense of humor.

Anaconda is always fun.

The Innkeepers will scare the living hell out of you.

Magic Mike is amazing.

Interstate 60: Episodes from the Road is what Wes Anderson's films SHOULD be like.

The First Grader made my first Top 10 list.

Tommy Boy...if you haven't seen it yet, then well, that's kinda sad.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Tue May 06, 2014 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next