Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:45 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Need help filling my queue--suggestions please! 
Critic

Post Re: Need help filling my queue--suggestions please!
Evenflow8112 wrote:
About to travel interstate, here's one for the road:

Akai Tenshi aka Red Angel (1966)

The blackest of World War II dramas, this is harsh, unapologetic stuff that begins in moral grey and then plunges into red dramatic intensity and apocalyptic Guignol. This film is so powerful, so unforgiving, so passionate and, ironically, deeply sexual and sensual, you won't be able to tear your eyes away from the screen. Even among post-WWII anti-war company such as 'Paths of Glory' and 'Fires on the Plain', this film's eerie grace and surrealistic moral terror elevate the war film to a new, deeply resonant plateau.

You had me with "blackest of WWII dramas." I'm there. Plus the two films you compare it to are either great or nearly great. Added.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:26 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
All the WWII/Holocaust talk prompts me to ask, have you seen Adam Resurrected?

Jeff Goldblum, Willem Dafoe, Paul Schrader. As Doc Brown might say, with those three names on the marquee, you're going to see some serious shit.

Wow this movie's 2008 but I don't recall hearing a single thing about it. Color me intrigued though. I'm there.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:27 pm
Ken wrote:
All the WWII/Holocaust talk prompts me to ask, have you seen Adam Resurrected?

Jeff Goldblum, Willem Dafoe, Paul Schrader. As Doc Brown might say, with those three names on the marquee, you're going to see some serious shit.

Not a big fan, but it's worth seeing once for the subject matter. I don't think it ever truly came together, though.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:34 pm
Hmmm... some spontaneous suggestions. Classics you might not have seen...

Kind Hearts and Coronets (or any of the Ealing Studio films, but this is my favorite). IMO, one of the best black comedies ever. The screenplay is brilliant, and Alec Guinness is great playing eight different roles.

Freaks. Classic horror, something that everyone should watch at least once. "One of us, one of us..."

Forbidden Games. René Clément's classic anti-war film. The beginning is heartbreaking, and the end even more so. One of my favorite films.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:52 pm
And don't know why, but I have food on the brain, so I thought I'd throw out a few great food movies...

Babette's Feast. I just love this film. Simple, great storytelling. with great performances.

Tampopo. This is just a fun movie. Nothing like it. Think Shane in Japan with a John Wayne-like trucker and a noodle shop. fun, fun, fun.

Big Night. Stanley Tucci and Tony Shalhoub. Italian food. Great movie.

Eat, Drink, Man, Woman. Ang Lee rocks this one. Great food, great movie.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:00 pm
Critic

MunichMan wrote:

Kind Hearts and Coronets (or any of the Ealing Studio films, but this is my favorite). IMO, one of the best black comedies ever. The screenplay is brilliant, and Alec Guinness is great playing eight different roles.

Freaks. Classic horror, something that everyone should watch at least once. "One of us, one of us..."

Forbidden Games. René Clément's classic anti-war film. The beginning is heartbreaking, and the end even more so. One of my favorite films.

Definitely seen Freaks (it rocks) and Forbidden Games (agree with everything you say) but Kind Hearts and Coronets I shall add immediately.

Speaking of food movies, have you (or anyone else) seen The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:37 pm
JamesKunz wrote:

Speaking of food movies, have you (or anyone else) seen The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover?

I have...it's pretty damn amazing.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:15 pm
Assistant Director

Brotherhood of the Wolf: Favorite movie of all time. Great, twisty plot. Lots of great action. Plenty of blood, gore, sex and nudity (all the stuff that's gone from the movies these days...damn MPAA). Need I say more?

Once Were Warriors: A dark and disturbing drama that will hit you like a runaway train and run over you again and again. Definitely not for a night when you're in a bad mood.

Black Book: See Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Match Point: Fantastic thriller about the choices we make and pure luck. Three of the four leads deserved Oscar nominations (sorry, SJ)

The Rock: Forget Die Hard, this is the definitive action-thriller of the past 25 years. Intense action, heart-stopping suspense, and intriguing characters. It doesn't get any better than this.

I'd of course state the obvious (Schindler's List, Titanic, Speed, and so on, but something tells me that a person who posts in this forum as much as you do has already seen them).

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:
The Rock: Forget Die Hard, this is the definitive action-thriller of the past 25 years. Intense action, heart-stopping suspense, and intriguing characters. It doesn't get any better than this.

I take issue with the bolded part, most of all because I believe the characters themselves couldn't be less interesting. Now, interesting actors are cast in a variety of roles that make the characters seem interesting, but the script brings nothing to the table in terms of character. I like The Rock, I really do, but not for a moment do I forget that I'm watching Cage, Harris, Connery, etc hamming it up in a solid action flick.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:58 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Not a big fan, but it's worth seeing once for the subject matter. I don't think it ever truly came together, though.

It's a sincere movie that takes risks, which, in my mind, makes it more worthwhile than 99% of movies that get made these days.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:10 am
Patrick wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

It's absolutely warmmmmmm and delicious.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:53 am
Ken wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

It's a sincere movie that takes risks, which, in my mind, makes it more worthwhile than 99% of movies that get made these days.

Speaking of dark dramas from Schrader, I'll throw out 'Auto Focus' as a side-order to my initial choice. Really solid, with the creepiest Dafoe character of all time.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:00 am
JamesKunz wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

Definitely seen Freaks (it rocks) and Forbidden Games (agree with everything you say) but Kind Hearts and Coronets I shall add immediately.

I have, and I love it. I'm big Greenaway fan, although he's not everybody's cup of tea. If you want to go all Greenaway, you do a marathon with, say, Drowning by Numbers, Belly of an Architect, Draughstman's Contract, Prospero's Books and finish up with Baby of Macon. Wheee!

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:15 am
Hmmm... looking at Baby of Macon on IMDB, I saw this--
Quote:
North American distributors refused to take the film in due its controversial subject matter. As a result, The Baby of Mâcon is officially unavailable in any format in the US.

That's odd and I don't know if it's true. I saw it in a theater in Norfolk. Awesome art house theater (The Naro, still my favorite theater) so maybe they managed to obtain an "illegal" copy. Still, if you can find it, it's a difficult, but rewarding (IMO) watch.

Another tidbit from IMDB--

Quote:
Director Peter Greenaway has said that one of the sources of inspiration for the film was the banning of the Benetton advertising poster campaign in the UK that featured pictures of a newborn baby, covered in blood and still attached to its umbilical cord. An outcry caused the posters to be removed. "What is so horrible about a newborn baby?" Greenaway wanted to know. "Why is that image (one that is seen many times a day in hospitals all over the country) so unacceptable, when much more horrific images are presented on television and the cinema, featuring murder and rape, but glamorized and made safe?" Thus Greenaway set out to make a film featuring murder and rape in which "nothing was glamorized and nothing was safe".

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:19 am
moviemkr7 wrote:
Once Were Warriors: A dark and disturbing drama that will hit you like a runaway train and run over you again and again. Definitely not for a night when you're in a bad mood.

I have sung the praises of this film often here on the boards. Powerful, powerful film. But definitely not a mood enhancer, unless that mood is despair.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:22 am
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:
Brotherhood of the Wolf: Favorite movie of all time. Great, twisty plot. Lots of great action. Plenty of blood, gore, sex and nudity (all the stuff that's gone from the movies these days...damn MPAA). Need I say more?

Black Book: See Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Match Point: Fantastic thriller about the choices we make and pure luck. Three of the four leads deserved Oscar nominations (sorry, SJ)

I'd of course state the obvious (Schindler's List, Titanic, Speed, and so on, but something tells me that a person who posts in this forum as much as you do has already seen them).

Really like Once Were Warriors and Match Point. Black Book was awesome the first time and then incredibly puerile upon reviewing. The Rock is much the same way: liked it when I saw it at age 12, then watched it again and found it juvenile. I will add Brotherhood of the Wolf though

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:05 am
Thinking of peter Greenaway made me think of Baby of Macon, which made me think of the Naro theater, which made me think of a cuople of the non-mainstream movies I saw there that I might recommend--

Swimming to Cambodia. Spalding Grey's wonderful filmed monologue about his experiences while filming The Killing Fields. Very, very good. I had the pleasure of seeing Grey live doing Monster in a Box about his experience of trying to write a novel. A complicated, interesting individual. Too bad he offed himself.

Mondo New York. A hit & miss Alice in Wonderland trip through the NYC performance art subculture. Uneven, but worth watching for the good bits.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:29 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

It's absolutely warmmmmmm and delicious.

One word: masterpiece.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:52 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Speaking of dark dramas from Schrader, I'll throw out 'Auto Focus' as a side-order to my initial choice. Really solid, with the creepiest Dafoe character of all time.

I'll second that one.
-Jeremy

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:19 pm
James, your queue is probably filled at this point but I'll still throw out a recommendation or two.

You just loved Kisses and according to the great Bob Harris it's similar to Little Manhattan which I loved. See it.

I also recommended Nicolas Roeg's Bad Timing to you a while back. I consider it a great film and it's somewhat similar (apart from Art Garfunkel appearing in both movies) to Carnal Knowledge which you like. Actually, I think it's better than Carnal Knowledge.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:09 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next