Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:47 am

Donnie Darko 
Post Donnie Darko
I just bought the Blu-ray version of Donnie Darko, a movie that I had not seen since its release back in 2001, and I was wondering what you people thought of it. I think James didn't review it (it's not in the database, anyway) so if he's reading I'd be curious about his opinion. I personally think this is one of the best movies of the 2000's, mainly because of the mood it succeeds in establishing, which takes me right back to my teenage years like no other movie does. The way the music is used, in particular, is awesome. 80's pop songs both nostalgic and menacing, and the cover of Mad World will tug the strings of all but the most coldhearted (even if it's been abused in ads and tv shows since then).

Oh and by the way, the blu-ray looks awful, no better than a DVD, but then I never watched the DVD for it so it might still be an improvement. It's not a big budget movie so maybe it is the best it can look. It sounds great though, and it contains both the theatrical version and the director's cut, both of which have their particular strengths IMO.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:52 pm
Post Re: Donnie Darko
This is a movie that so many people I know like that I just didn't enjoy that much. I haven't watched it in years and have had it on my shelf to re-watch again at some point but as for my first viewing, I was a little letdown from all the build up. I'm more than willing to give it another chance though.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:09 pm
I've been meaning to watch it but I don't know if I should watch the theatrical or director's cut.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:25 pm
The first time I watched it, I was scratching my head wondering what was happening. It took a good 3-4 viewings before it all started coming together, but yeah, this is a big favourite of mine. I like to watch it back to back with The Machinist when I'm in the mood for some mind messing.

Kudos to Richard Kelly. It takes a very intelligent writer to come up with twisted material that works.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:45 pm
baz1701 wrote:
The first time I watched it, I was scratching my head wondering what was happening. It took a good 3-4 viewings before it all started coming together, but yeah, this is a big favourite of mine. I like to watch it back to back with The Machinist when I'm in the mood for some mind messing.

Kudos to Richard Kelly. It takes a very intelligent writer to come up with twisted material that works.

Guess I wasn't the only one confused the first time I saw this. I thought I had started watching this about 30 minutes in, only to realize on the second viewing that, nope, I hadn't missed a thing. Great movie though. Open-ended enough for for the viewer to inject his or her own thought and imagination.

The "Head Over Heels" trip through the school segment is a standout IMO.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:19 pm
Patrick wrote:
I've been meaning to watch it but I don't know if I should watch the theatrical or director's cut.

Having never seen the Director's Cut, I admit that I'm afraid of watching it. I absolutely LOVE the ambiguity of the theatrical cut, and I would hate to have everything explained to me (as apparently the director has been wont to do).

Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:20 pm
Don't bother with the Director's Cut. Apart from the extra explanations that are given, the entire soundtrack is changed in a way that doesn't work nearly as well as the original version.

Good movie. The science and relativity stuff in it is complete junk though.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:09 am
The director's cut doesn't work quite as well as the theatrical but if you're concerned about having things explained to you then take the plunge; the end remains just as mysterious (read: frustrating) as it was before he waterlogged his own -- um -- masterpiece. A little overrated, this movie, but compared to Southland Tales it's a coherent drama the whole family can enjoy. Whatever. Hey, colors!

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:00 am
Really, really compelling and interesting motion picture. I've watched it a number of times, and I think it's excellent. The atmosphere throughout the movie is great, and I can't think of many movies, which have this type of intriguing narrative. The soundtrack is top-notch, and the ending is superb. A must-watch in my eyes - 9/10.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:13 am