Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:02 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Science Fiction Double feature 
Post Re: Science Fiction Double feature
Alex wrote:
I remember The Incredible Shrinking Man...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I remember finding the ending, where he disappears to nothingness, quite disturbing.

I agree, it is very poignant in a strange way.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:18 pm
Thanks for the great responses. I've compiled this list as it may help other parents both with kids or for themselves

Here's what my 10& 12 year old sons have seen so far:

War Of the World's
When World's Collide
The Black Scorpion - a huge favorite!
Them! - they love the ants!
Wall-E - Loved it and seen many times
Iron Giant - Loved it
ET - but not a favorite at all
CE3K - 10 yr old loved it, 12 year old was bored
Contact - a huge surprise - they loved it
Fantastic Voyage - Too slow - problems keeping them involved
Innerspace - They loved this Dennis Quaid remake
Mysterious island - Harryhausen crab a favorite
Star Wars movies - they are bored by them - apart from the pod race
Time machine - both versions - new version was not liked at all
Day After Tomorrow - Huge favorite
Armageddon - A big hit
Deep Impact - preferred to Armageddon - I was surprised
First Men in the Moon - Loved it
Last Starfighter

Here's What's coming Up:
The Incredible Shrinking Man
Creature From The Black Lagoon
Twenty Million Miles to Earth
This Island Earth
The Day the Earth Stood Still - not Keanununu
Logan's Run - though I'm dubious
Destination Moon
Silent Running
It Came From Outer Space
Forbidden Planet - I'm dubious that it's too stagey
Tron
Black Hole

Faves of mine that i won't show them and why
2001 - Too slow and conceptual for a ten year old
Mars Attacks - i think they need to reach 15&13 for that one
Barbarella - the young one is 10! This is for Dad :-)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Too scary for them
Terminators 1&2 - Too much gore

TV series
1960's British TV show Thunderbirds is a huge hit in our house. I have the 12 disc DVD boxed set
Dr.Who is compulsory viewing - but only the more recent Doctors

Rob

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:34 pm
Of course someone would prefer Deep Impact to Armageddon, it doesn't suck!

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:38 pm
Patrick wrote:
Of course someone would prefer Deep Impact to Armageddon, it doesn't suck!

Me too, but the sheer action quota of Armageddon had me sure they would like it more. Proud Dad!
Rob

Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:49 pm
This is a nice topic. I'm getting movies from this list as well.

i'd like to add to list a few names you might wanna check out. If you can't find 'em, lemme know.

Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun (1969)

Flight to Mars (1951)

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956)

Master of the World (1961)

and this one's not for kids, i think.

Five (1951) - last five people on earth, 4 men and 1 woman. Hm... sounds... interesting.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:02 pm
What about Enemy Mine? Always loved that film.

If you are thinking schlocky fun how about Battle Beyond the Stars

...and then, of course, there is the original 'Blob' - more fun than the remake, which was kinda amusing.

From what you're saying, I doubt they'd be ready for Herzog's remake of Nosferatu?

(let me also jump on the 'Them' bandwagon - Gary Larson does a great single panel using the film as a reference point :) )

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:46 pm
I haven't seen this movie, but what about Robinson Crusoe on Mars? I'm not sure how conceptual it is, but consider it I suppose. I've got a friend who digs it.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:33 pm
ogto wrote:
This is a nice topic. I'm getting movies from this list as well.

i'd like to add to list a few names you might wanna check out. If you can't find 'em, lemme know.

Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun (1969)

Flight to Mars (1951)

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956)

Master of the World (1961)

and this one's not for kids, i think.

Five (1951) - last five people on earth, 4 men and 1 woman. Hm... sounds... interesting.

I have seen all of them except "Five".

I love the early Harryhausen movie - it would be fun for the kids. good call. I was a little disappointed with the JTTFSOTS, particularly as I think it was made by the team who did Thunderbirds! I did not care for Master Of the World and with such a large list, may skip that one. I have not seen it for over 20 years though. Flight To mars is a great idea. I saw this as part of a sci-fi season at our college cinema, back in the seventies. it was on 16mm film. I loved it. It was very camp!

Ogto, huge thanks for these. Two more for a very long movie season. My kids will be experts or driven mad!
Rob

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:06 pm
as weird as this may sound, it's really hard to find a good campy classic pure sci-fi movie these days, from back in those days.

Most of them are boring, or just not fun. But mostly just boring. Back then, the longer the shot, the bigger the drama. So when it's dramatic, there's reaaaaally long shots. And the film is actually one hour long, streched to one and a half by the "drama".

It's a real art separating the best from the rest. Without having to see them all. and losing your life to them.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:47 pm
Pedro wrote:
I haven't seen this movie, but what about Robinson Crusoe on Mars? I'm not sure how conceptual it is, but consider it I suppose. I've got a friend who digs it.

Hi Pedro

I saw this just recently - Criterion has a DVD. I quite like the movie but don't think my kids will enjoy it as it's pretty slow going

Rob

Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:12 pm
I dont know about the exact answer(although wouldnt Alien+Aliens be an awesome combo for kids!!!) but I would like to say that your kids are lucky fellas,
I wish my father was that cool,I mean I bet they'll be an encyclopedia of cinema by the time they are 20 and thats great education...Home schooled on movies,and then they can OWN anyone at debates and discussions later on.
Its like a ritual passage which I never got....You are a good human being Robert ;)

Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:45 am
rishi85 wrote:
I dont know about the exact answer(although wouldnt Alien+Aliens be an awesome combo for kids!!!) but I would like to say that your kids are lucky fellas,
I wish my father was that cool,I mean I bet they'll be an encyclopedia of cinema by the time they are 20 and thats great education...Home schooled on movies,and then they can OWN anyone at debates and discussions later on.
Its like a ritual passage which I never got....You are a good human being Robert ;)

You're very kind Rishi85

One of the things you have to learn as a dad is not to ram your passions down your kids throats. they have to discover them for themselves. i was sad as a passionate British football player and Arsenal supporter that coaching teams over here my kid dropped out :-( What to do?

Movies have been easier as we have a great home theater with a 120" screen. My 2 sons seem to be up for any anything. I talk to them about movies but more to get them interested than grilling them on content. They are 10&12 and have plenty of time.

Tonight was a way cool experience....
Rob

Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:55 am
Post Max and Luc's Science Fiction Double Feature - part 26
Max and Luc's Science Fiction Double Feature - part 26

I am on a journey.

I want to show my 10 and 12 year old sons a season of great science fiction movies that THEY will love. In the corrupted words of Anton Ego, "If they don't love it, they won't watch it". I will have then failed.

How do I gauge success?They need to stay involved, ask questions and be excited about the movie. Wandering off to the PlayStation, TV or the ping pong table is not a good sign! Asking what's next is a big plus.

They have seen:
War Of the World's
When World's Collide
Iron Giant - Loved it
Time Machine - both versions - new version was not liked at all
Armageddon - A big hit
Last Starfighter

Tonight's feature was "The Incredible Shrinking Man" (1957)
I have seen this film m many times and simply love it. There are much bigger themes at play and this always makes for great science fiction.

The plot is quite simple. Grant Williams is on vacation on his boat when a strange mist floats in. A few days later he starts to shrink. Doctors, friends and family all have no answer. After a slow start the film picks up speed and develops into a terrifying scenario where man becomes the hunted, where worlds change and ultimately he reconsiders his position in the universe.

Max and Luc loved it. For a child the concept is very intriguing and the monster effects had their hands in their mouths and generated genuinely fearful reactions. They asked endless questions including, "Is this a true story?". Best of all. What's next , can we watch another? Though I wonder if this was partially driven by a desire to stay up?

I have always believed that this is a thought provoking and wonderful science fiction movie produced by a master - Jack Arnold. If it pops up on cable (no DVD) you might want to give it a try.

Rob

PS - I have heard many comments how voiceovers never work. This is a reference for why that is wrong.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:29 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
rishi85 wrote:

You're very kind Rishi85

One of the things you have to learn as a dad is not to ram your passions down your kids throats. they have to discover them for themselves. i was sad as a passionate British football player and Arsenal supporter that coaching teams over here my kid dropped out :-( What to do?

Movies have been easier as we have a great home theater with a 120" screen. My 2 sons seem to be up for any anything. I talk to them about movies but more to get them interested than grilling them on content. They are 10&12 and have plenty of time.

Rob

Arsenal supporter? Then I have to agree with Rishi's sentiments that you are a good human being. Don't worry, Cesc should be back soon.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:11 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
rishi85 wrote:

You're very kind Rishi85

Rob

Arsenal supporter? Then I have to agree with Rishi's sentiments that you are a good human being. Don't worry, Cesc should be back soon.

hey Cesc and a whole team will be back.... bvut that's another forum :-)

Rob

Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:16 am
Post Max and Luc's Science Fiction Double Feature - part 27
Max and Luc's Science Fiction Double Feature - part 27

I am taking my kids who are aged 10 & 12 on a movie odyssey. We're going to try and see over 50 science fiction movies!

The coolest thing is that after every movie they want to know what's next.

Today's first film in the double bill was Flight To Mars (1951)

I loved it on a totally camp level because it's awful if we're honest
However it transcends awfulness and becomes a pleasure, which is oft talked about, but rare.
I would be happy to see this again as it's that much fun
The dialogue is hilarious - far better than most modern comedies

Max (12) and Luc (10) were a little bored because it's very talky and focuses alot on a a romance within the crew
Luc's (10) reaction to the aliens was blah

So this was a bit of a disappointment
What I learned was that action, monsters and ongoing stuff is critical. This missed the target

They have now seen:
War Of the World's - the original
When World's Collide
Iron Giant - Loved it
Armageddon - A big hit
Last Starfighter - nothing more than OK
The Incredible Shrinking Man - 9.5/10
Flight To Mars - a disappointment

Rob

Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:33 am
Post Part 28
Max and Luc's Science Fiction Double Feature - part 28

I am taking my kids who are aged 10 & 12 on a movie odyssey. We're going to try and see over 50 science fiction movies!

Today's second film in the double bill was The Creature From the Black Lagoon

This was one of the biggest successes of all.
The reason was simple
That scaly, webbed clawed hand that kept appearing dialed it up from the get go
The pounding music, the monster, the almost non stop action
Luc (10) was a little scared but loved it!

After 2 movies they wanted more! Unbelievable - I've created a monster :-)
next up - It came From Outer Space!

They have now seen:
War Of the World's - the original
When World's Collide
Iron Giant - Loved it
Armageddon - A big hit
Last Starfighter - nothing more than OK
The Incredible Shrinking Man - 9.5/10
Flight To Mars - a disappointment
The Creature from the Black Lagoon - huge win!

Rob

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:03 pm
If you haven't already, try King Kong (the original, though Jackson's remake was pretty good). If they can stomach The Creature from the Black Lagoon then a giant ape shouldn't be too scary.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:30 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
If you haven't already, try King Kong (the original, though Jackson's remake was pretty good). If they can stomach The Creature from the Black Lagoon then a giant ape shouldn't be too scary.

Greta suggestion, ED, I have the boxed set DVD containing two other movies.

The issue with Peter Jackson's film is that he mistook length for depth. At over 3 hours long it's probably the single greatest argument for how opening out the story can defeat a movie. The original is a masterpiece, not just of FX but story telling.

Jackson's movie is more like a showreel for his FX company.

Rob

PS - HDDVD looks beautiful though!

Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:57 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Greta suggestion, ED, I have the boxed set DVD containing two other movies.

The issue with Peter Jackson's film is that he mistook length for depth. At over 3 hours long it's probably the single greatest argument for how opening out the story can defeat a movie. The original is a masterpiece, not just of FX but story telling.

Jackson's movie is more like a showreel for his FX company.

Rob

PS - HDDVD looks beautiful though!

I hope they like it...

My departed grandmother's best friend was called Greta, you know her? ;) Couldn't resist, I'm jealous of hi-def viewing since I'm still on a 4:3 SD TV.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:15 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next