Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Coens. 
Post Re: Coens.
A Serious Man is their best film since Lebowski and a definite four star film. It was released in Melbourne yesterday and I've seen it twice thus far. This is the Coens back to their absolute best.

It's fucking hilarious, can be analysed a number of ways and incredibly original. Perhaps the most original film I've seen since Lars and The Real Girl. Like their three classics, Lebowski, Miller's and Fargo you get caught up in the little world the Coens have created here and don't want to leave.

I've been slightly disappointed in their films this decade but A Serious Man is nothing short of incredible. On the first viewing I missed a fair bit just through laughter. The scene where Larry (Michael Stuhlbarg) goes to see
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the first, younger rabbi is priceless. The expression on Larry's face when the rabbi shows him the car park is gold.

If there's been a better performance than Stuhlbarg's this year I've missed it.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:06 pm
Director

It goes without saying that the Coen Brothers are one of my prime influences. Having seen pretty much all of their films, I can say they have yet to make a bad one. They've made some lesser ones (Intolerable Cruelty, The Ladykillers). But they haven't made a stinker. I know some people who can't stand them. They feel that Joel and Ethan are fizted on making weird movies that are designed to appeal to a specific cult audience. To an extent that's true for some of their films. However I would say that they're more accessible than David Lynch.

Faves of theirs: Fargo, The Big Lebowski,.Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Barton Fink and No Country. Also Millers Crossing is an underrated crime picture, The Man Who Wasn't There is better than some of their other lesser pictures (the aforementioned ones), True Grit is a great re-make, O Brother was fun and had a great soundtrack to boot.

The Hudsucker Proxy is one I've always been torn on. Burn After Reading I didn't get around to seeing until recently. But it's good. A Serious Man requires multiple viewings to truly appreciate. I'd add that that one is given added weight by the fact that this go-around they're both devising a fantasy and looking back to growing up in Minnesota.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:59 pm
Producer

Best thing about the Coen's films is that they are genuinly timless. Big Lebowski is the default film I put on in the background when the mates are around. I've probably seen it 50 times.

Their films are nearly exclusively better on subsequent watches. Even one that fly under the radar like The Man Who Wasn't There.

A combination of passion for films of all genres, and shrewed intelligence has stood them well.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:38 am
Cinematographer

Aaaaaaaaaaand...they're back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFphYRyH7wc

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:21 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Looks intriguing, and seeing Mulligan and Timberlake in a Coen film will be fun.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:15 pm