Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:45 am

Movies that are about movies 
Second Unit Director

Post Movies that are about movies
I would like to bring up the topic of fact that there is an increasing number of movies being made about movies as historically true stories.
Last year we had Hitchcock,
This year we have Lovelace, Grace of Monaco ( a film about a movie star), Saving Mrs. Banks ( A film about the making of Mary Poppins)
We are now in the position where an actress has won an oscar for playing an oscar winner.
I am sure that these are interesting stories to be sure , but surely Hollywood has sunk so low that now they are creating films based on themselves. Where does this lead. In 20 years times will there be a film about the making of taxi driver or star wars or even shcindler's list.
You thoughts on this ?

Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:47 am
Producer

Post Re: Movies that are about movies
Movies have implicitly drawn from other movies for a long time. Every so often, it ratchets up another degree or two. Star Wars consciously recycles tropes from several movies of yesteryear. Pulp Fiction deliberately apes specific chunks from Tarantino's favorite stories. Nowadays, just about every blockbuster is a deliberate effort to recall other blockbusters in ways just novel enough to justify their existence. And now, as you point out, we are at a point where it's gone literal--movies that dramatize the behind-the-scenes happenings of other movies. Where they might have once drawn upon history or human experience, they now draw upon themselves for source material.

I'm not sure it's a matter of sinking low, only because I think the last time there was a large-scale infusion of substantially new subject matter into movies was in the '60s. there is nothing intrinsically bad about this mining of movies themselves as source material although I will readily agree that it makes it much more difficult to show the audience something original, something that will touch them yet can't be predicted beat by beat from the first 10 minutes onward.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:39 am
Producer

Be Kind Rewind

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:47 am
Assistant Director

Ken's comments echo something I've long since understood: there's nothing new under the sun, and that's okay. Every movie we watch nowadays, even the great ones, contain subject matter and rhythms we've seen before. Cinema has been around long enough that this was inevitable. As the late Roger Ebert pointed out many times, a movie is not what it's about, but how it is about it.

I will say one thing though. Shame really brought sex addiction as a tough movie subject to the forefront. That was my favorite movie of 2011, and I expect it to be on an All-Decade List in 2019.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:39 pm
Producer

I actually thought Shame triviaised addiction in general. The film was close to self-parody.

Mark wrote an excellent post on its problems, before he joined the Mars mission

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:24 am
Assistant Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
I actually thought Shame triviaised addiction in general. The film was close to self-parody.

Mark wrote an excellent post on its problems, before he joined the Mars mission

WTF!? Now that I have to read. Where is it?

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:15 am
Producer

In the search box, put shame, and me as author. I review it, and he responds

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:42 am
Director

Quote:
there's nothing new under the sun, and that's okay. Every movie we watch nowadays, even the great ones, contain subject matter and rhythms we've seen before.

There may not be anything truly 100% new, but there's still plenty of room for originality, and there will always be a difference between recycling and reinventing. Fine-tuning or critiquing genre tropes instead of just repeating them. Plus there's always room to do things which, in a literal sense, haven't been done before.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:29 pm