Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:20 am

Harry Potter 
Post Re: Harry Potter
It's a good thing she's 18 now, if you know what I mean 8-)

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:44 pm
I used to have a crush on Emma Watson when I was eleven and twelve. Now that she's all grown up.... ;DD I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:18 pm
too bad shes such a bad actress.

pedro, what are you sayin'?

Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:57 pm
Cinematographer

For me it goes 5, 3, 4, 2, 1 in terms of ranking them.

I've read all the books, and as I've grown older, the interest I once had in them has faded. It seemed that in the last 4 or 5 books, Harry or Ron and sometimes even Hermione would go through phases of pure bitchyness/emoness that was just annoying... and then book 7 was 300 pages of them camping and not talking...

But back to the movies. As the actors age, so does their acting. They are MUCH better now than they once were. That's not to say that their acting still doesn't make me flinch at times, especially when they actually need to emote, but the ick factor has been toned down. The movies have always had a fantastic backup cast. Maggie Smith, Richard Harris, Julie Waters, Alan Rickman, even John Cleese was in there momentarily... I think the biggest disappointment so far is the realization that I won't get to see Gary Oldman anymore. I do like the new Dumbledore much better however; he has a vivacity that adds to the character in my opinion.

I realize that the diehard fans of the books say that 5 is the worst movie yet. I have to disagree with them - while it is the least connected to the book series, it was the best made movie. The emotional heavylifting was more distributed among a group of young actors rather than resting on the shoulders of the trio. Helena Bonham Carter joined in (yay), the story was more interesting, Ralph Fiennes actually had a character, as did Emma Thompson... When Prof. Trelawney was getting thrown out of Hogwarts, that was probably the most emotional part of the entire series for me. This movie is grown up. By now, the series has given up on tempering itself for the kids; it knows that the people who started reading the series long ago have matured. I can only hope that this trend will continue.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:45 am
aameen wrote:
too bad shes such a bad actress.

I don't think she's actually had professional acting experiences before Harry Potter...

In any case personally I am fully prepared to overlook her thespian short comings 8-)

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:54 am
Although I really appreciate what Yates has done with The Order of Phoenix.. I would like for Peter Jackson to direct the rest of the films.

Cause if anyone can translate great fantasy literature onto the screen, it's Jackson.

And while I'm at it, Ian McKellen should play Dumbledore. As an avid reader of the books, Michael Gambon just never did it for me as Dumbledore. Although the late Richard Harris managed to capture the character very well indeed.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:07 pm
new_xieland wrote:
I've never read the books though have seen all the movies. They have been progressively getting better but what's infinitely more important is how fine FINE Emma Watson turned out :mrgreen:

In the space of a few movies she completely changed from a dweeby annoying Hermione to something that's very... delectable...

I grew up with the Harry Potter movies and Emma Watson, so I have trouble thinking of her as anything other than a sister-figure.... which kinda makes any aspiring boner shrivel up. =(

I haven't watched the first two films in a while, but I remember really enjoying them. I can't understand all the flak Chris Columbus is getting. My least favourite, even now, is the third one-- it just failed to excite me as its predecessors and sucessors did. Though the fifth is probably my favourite film-- I disliked the book because I thought it had awful pacing, so the film trimming off a lot of book material didn't bother me at all.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:39 pm
I like all of the Harry Potter movies. There's something about the uniqueness of the world they live in that keeps drawing me back. The better quality of the actors' performances and the tighter script of the last movie has made me very excited for HP6.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:43 pm